Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2022, 01:09 PM

463 posts, read 208,299 times

Advertisements

Hard times make hard people. Hard people make easy times. Easy times make weak people.

People are entitled and soft. They think the world owes them something, and they know they can get away with a lot of different things, including free money from the government and soft penalties for serious crime. This will not improve until people improve. People will not improve until they are thankful for what they have and willing to work hard to earn what they own.

If inflation continues to go up like this, hard times are ahead. It will be real rough until people become tougher and strive for a better life. I don't expect the post covid world to have an impact on what we are experiencing now.

Old 01-15-2022, 04:32 PM

10,633 posts, read 12,189,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
Simply because this sort of thing has been cyclical, historically.

Regarding Queen Village, that's true... but incidents can occur anywhere where there are people. No one in Midtown Manhattan expected 3 carjackings within an hour of each other this past Wednesday. No one expected a shooting at the Miami airport on Thursday.
Exactly, so why even say previously: "What's wrong with areas like Washington Square, Grad Hospital, Hawthorne, Manayunk, etc.? I bought in Washington Square last year and it's a fantastic area, I love living here and walk around day and night." What does that have to with anything?

Old 01-17-2022, 12:26 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,598,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofl33cat View Post
MOD NOTE - The purpose of this thread is to corral crime posts to stay in one thread so as not to take over the Philadelphia page here on citi-data. Starting now, 5/26/19, I'm going to ask posters to post links when they cite crime activity to bring clarity to the thread. As per city-data TOS, no racist or rude remarks are allowed. Report comments that break the TOS, do not respond to off topic remarks - report them.

This is not the social justice commentary section. We're all about crime here. Please find another forum to talk about the reasons behind why people break laws. It's not the Philadelphia forum.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-18-2022, 05:08 AM

979 posts, read 421,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnxblk01 View Post
Crime can happen anywhere at anytime really.

My knowledge of Mt Airy goes back to about 1985 and I know people that can historically take me back to 1960s with old pictures included.

It's a great area, and still a great area especially if you want to live in a quiet multicultural neighborhood. But Mt Airy just like the more richer neighborhood of Chestnut Hill has a lot of "isolated incidents" such as theft from vehicles or burglaries.

Chestnut Hill, due to all the banks, also has the bank robberies for a long as I can remember which is why they now have a police cruiser parked by TD bank during business hours. Does anyone remember the Wawa (w Highland ave) in Chestnut Hill during the 1990s? It was permanently closed after a prominent man was stabbed inside the store during a robbery attempt with his wife after dinner. They were getting ice cream after an evening dinner.

If you buy in Mt Airy you will be fine, just make sure you install a home alarm with motion detection outdoor lights and keep your car doors locked and leave no valuables inside the car. That area is very quiet at night and it's very easy to commit a crime and run into the woods or the many hidden spots in the area before the police arrive. In fact, it's one of the areas where I will rarely see the police on patrol, it's like a hidden forgotten neighborhood between Roxborough and Chestnut Hill.
Russell Byers:

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/12/07/u...ladelphia.html

Old 01-18-2022, 06:49 AM

14,314 posts, read 9,193,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
God rest his soul.

The Daily News' token blueblood columnist was a true civic asset. He may have diverged from the paper's party line, but his love and care for this city shone through every word he wrote.

I thought it was a very nice gesture that the founders of the Center City charter school that's focused on civic engagement named the school for him.

Old 01-19-2022, 04:48 AM

979 posts, read 421,983 times
A male was gunned down in a store in West Oak Lane.

Old 01-19-2022, 02:56 PM

1,705 posts, read 983,196 times
Someone was just murdered a few blocks away from me in Old City. 3rd and Chestnut. Some poor woman was attacked with a pipe.

My wife walked by there about an hour before. I'm freaked out.

Old 01-19-2022, 03:03 PM

1,705 posts, read 983,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
Let's hope it wasn't random.
Apparently it was inside an office building. It seems like it might have been something other than random.

Old 01-19-2022, 03:17 PM

7,743 posts, read 5,547,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Apparently it was inside an office building. It seems like it might have been something other than random.

Yeah, reports are saying the victim was on the 8th floor so most likely they knew each other. Disturbing none the less.

Old 01-19-2022, 05:39 PM

1,036 posts, read 453,634 times
Armed carjacking at 22nd/Parkway yesterday just before 5:30 am; RAV4 taken at gunpoint by 3 dudes in a white SUV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia