Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2021, 09:27 AM

463 posts, read 207,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Yes. Recent change in Associated Press style, which I follow.

They're treating "Black" as "African-American" had been treated, as an "ethnic" descriptor. (The trouble with "African-American" now is that with growing immigration from Africa, the phrase takes on a different meaning. Both the African immigrants and the descendants of the freed slaves can wear the word "Black" without confusion.

Whites get to be placed in all sorts of boxes: Irish-American, WASP, Italian-American, Hispanic (which can also be used to describe Blacks of Latin American or Spanish-speaking Caribbean descent), Portuguese-American, and so on. Were our ethnonational ties not erased during slavery, we might refer to ourselves as Ibo-American, Xhosa-American, Yoruban-American, Ethiopian-American (actually, since very few slaves came from the east coast of Africa, most of these are immigrants and their descendants), Ghanaian-American, and so on. But we don't have that option available to us. And that is also a reason why "Black" but not "White."
I have two friends who have moved from Africa in the past 5 years, both in academia. They have both expressed very little shared culture or recognition of "descendants of freed slaves" vs. those coming from or still living in Africa. How can someone even pretend that those two groups are the same thing (despite the fact that just like Europe, Africa is a large continent full of different countries)? Someone from Egypt should be grouped with someone from Baltimore? Black defines it, but two people who are "White" (one from England and one from New England) should not be grouped? What the heck is going on?

Why don't we all just call ourselves Americans? Wouldn't that be better? Kind of the ideal that we're all here and moving forward as Americans. And yes, some of us are white, some are black. None of us chose our skin color.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:05 AM

9,386 posts, read 9,370,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
Crazy. Isn't the murder rate now the highest in over 20 years? We are on track to surpass Chicago in homicides.

Philadelphia has had nearly 50 homicides in nearly a month.

A city of 1,000,000 more people and notorious for gun violence. Philadelphia is on track to be the top 5 most violent cities in the USA at this rate.

Where are the press conferences from the Mayor and Police Commissioner on the violence??? WTH??
The 2021 murder rate is on track to be the highest in recorded Philadelphia history...Last year was the second worst in recorded history...

I'm sure the Mayor, Police Commissioner and Council are brainstorming the best way to address this issue. Right after they finish their bill requiring developers to recreate murals they tear down. We have to focus on the important issues first.

(I hope you can sense my sarcasm).

Another upsetting aspect about the homicides...the super vocal ultra left progressives were so noisy back in June and again in October when police shot an armed man in West Philadelphia, yet here we are at record high homicide levels, and several innocent civilians killed in January, yet crickets...I don't get it...

Enough with the games (IMO), clearly the "let everyone run free" mantra is not working, we need enforcement and a plan, and enough with blaming the pandemic for every problem.

(And I hate seeing Chicago picked on, Philadelphia does not need another negative title)

Old 02-08-2021, 11:21 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,761,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
Crazy. Isn't the murder rate now the highest in over 20 years? We are on track to surpass Chicago in homicides.

Philadelphia has had nearly 50 homicides in nearly a month.

A city of 1,000,000 more people and notorious for gun violence. Philadelphia is on track to be the top 5 most violent cities in the USA at this rate.

Where are the press conferences from the Mayor and Police Commissioner on the violence??? WTH??

As long as its not someone who is a college student, a white person in center city then its no need to be concerned about it

Old 02-08-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The 2021 murder rate is on track to be the highest in recorded Philadelphia history...Last year was the second worst in recorded history...

I'm sure the Mayor, Police Commissioner and Council are brainstorming the best way to address this issue. Right after they finish their bill requiring developers to recreate murals they tear down. We have to focus on the important issues first.

Another upsetting aspect about the homicides...the super vocal ultra left progressives were so noisy back in June and again in October when police shot an armed man in West Philadelphia, yet here we are at record high homicide levels, and several innocent civilians killed in January, yet crickets...I don't get it...

Enough with the games (IMO), clearly the "let everyone run free" mantra is not working, we need enforcement and a plan, and enough with blaming the pandemic for every problem.

(And I hate seeing Chicago picked on, Philadelphia does not need another negative title)
This says it all. Hollow perspectives have flooded social media and mainstream news. I haven't seen any of these groups stepping up to work on this very concerning issue. In fact, I drove by "Abington Friends School" the other day and they have a huge "End Systemic Racism" sign. Perhaps they could start by bringing their $24k/year tuition for pre-k3. Then again, my white butt couldn't make that bill either, so I maybe it's not racism. Maybe it's classism. Oh wait, isn't that what all this is anyway?

When will our society start talking about the real situation? Impoverishment of poor black neighborhoods, increasing impoverishment of many white neighborhoods, corrupt and career politicians avoiding the real issues, etc. etc.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
As long as its not someone who is a college student, a white person in center city then its no need to be concerned about it
Yup. You should throw in black person by a cop too. That's about it. Crickets aside from that.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:02 PM

403 posts, read 297,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Yes, Darrel Clark is more concerned with roof decks in Strawberry Mansion, than the murder rate right now. Pitiful.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
Yup. You should throw in black person by a cop too. That's about it. Crickets aside from that.
Yeah I forgot that one. Shootings in the hood was never a high priority

Old 02-08-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah I forgot that one. Shootings in the hood was never a high priority
I guess they don't count. I can only imagine what happens to the children in these scenarios. I look at my children and can't imagine them suffering terrors like the ones I read about at such a young/vulnerable age.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
I guess they don't count. I can only imagine what happens to the children in these scenarios. I look at my children and can't imagine them suffering terrors like the ones I read about at such a young/vulnerable age.
When its a hood murder they need the public's help, when its not they can solve it on their own

Old 02-08-2021, 02:07 PM

1,465 posts, read 624,878 times
Quote:
When its a hood murder they need the public's help, when its not they can solve it on their own
Untrue. There's usually help from the public and acquaintances in solving non-hood murders.

A lot of 'hood' murders are solved. Why do you think the prisons are full? They're not all in there because of narcotics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia