Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2021, 10:45 AM

9,386 posts, read 9,366,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I'm not sure what the answer is but we need to choose leaders who can deliver the answers. This is the expected result of voting in ideologues like Kenny and Krasner. I don't vote for those kind of people but it seems like most of the voters are themselves ideologues rather than pragmatists. Can you draw a bigger contrast between Nutter/Ramsey/Abraham and Kenney/Outlaw/Krasner?
Yup...I am also nervous because I read an Inquirer article yesterday about City Council's 2021 agenda and the progressive agenda is gaining traction in City Hall...If progressive tactics are the new rulebook going forward then we can expect more of this mess. (New Council member Kendra Brooks is bad news in my view).

Further, I didn't read anything in Council's top agenda regarding improving the business outlook, tax outlook, zoning changes, crime / poverty plans (a brief mention of a poverty initiative from Clarke), growing & repairing small / local businesses, infrastructure plans, working with the state for more control over its tax legislation, education, etc. the focus was racial injustice, defunding the police, anti-tax abatement, rent moratoriums, etc....Yes, racial injustice should always be a concern of Council, but I find this to be a sad "to-do" list if this is really all that council is worried about going forward... (maybe its just me).

And I agree, pragmatism and moderate views are what will make Philadelphia excel. Extremism (on either end), one party rules all, and the increasing progressive agenda are not a good mix. One of the reasons I liked the Nutter administration, because it had realistic plans to improve Philadelphia, many of which were working. (and he often bumped head with Council).

The city is still growing and its great to see, but its on thin ice and organic growth and relying on large institutions can only help so much without realistic thinking from City Hall, of which doesn't ostracize commerce and business. The either / or scenario is another problem I have with Philadelphia machine politics.

Last edited by cpomp; 01-29-2021 at 10:59 AM..

Old 01-29-2021, 11:15 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,760,202 times
Im expecting 0 shootings since it will be so cold this weekend

Old 01-29-2021, 03:23 PM

1,465 posts, read 624,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yup...I am also nervous because I read an Inquirer article yesterday about City Council's 2021 agenda and the progressive agenda is gaining traction in City Hall...If progressive tactics are the new rulebook going forward then we can expect more of this mess. (New Council member Kendra Brooks is bad news in my view).

Further, I didn't read anything in Council's top agenda regarding improving the business outlook, tax outlook, zoning changes, crime / poverty plans (a brief mention of a poverty initiative from Clarke), growing & repairing small / local businesses, infrastructure plans, working with the state for more control over its tax legislation, education, etc. the focus was racial injustice, defunding the police, anti-tax abatement, rent moratoriums, etc....Yes, racial injustice should always be a concern of Council, but I find this to be a sad "to-do" list if this is really all that council is worried about going forward... (maybe its just me).

And I agree, pragmatism and moderate views are what will make Philadelphia excel. Extremism (on either end), one party rules all, and the increasing progressive agenda are not a good mix. One of the reasons I liked the Nutter administration, because it had realistic plans to improve Philadelphia, many of which were working. (and he often bumped head with Council).

The city is still growing and its great to see, but its on thin ice and organic growth and relying on large institutions can only help so much without realistic thinking from City Hall, of which doesn't ostracize commerce and business. The either / or scenario is another problem I have with Philadelphia machine politics.
Racial injustice? In Philadelphia, PA? LOL! One would have to be very naïve to believe that.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:40 PM

463 posts, read 207,418 times
46 murders already. That's a 31% increase over last year at this time. Wow.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:44 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,760,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
46 murders already. That's a 31% increase over last year at this time. Wow.
Im expecting a quiet weekend due to the frigid weather

Old 01-30-2021, 12:50 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,955,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post

Nice thought but no shootings may be a tall task but hopefully no murders.

I wonder actually if the number of shootings have been increasing at the same pace as murders.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:42 AM

463 posts, read 207,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Nice thought but no shootings may be a tall task but hopefully no murders.

I wonder actually if the number of shootings have been increasing at the same pace as murders.
Good way to look at it. Maybe the gangs are taking shooting lessons and holding the guns properly. Think about the savings.

Old 01-30-2021, 06:30 AM

121 posts, read 99,112 times
I would be curious to see if the increase in homicides is in anyway correlated to so many ICU's being filled with COVID patients.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:31 AM

Carjackings are also up - and they'll steal anything available, not just newer vehicles. Armed robberies -up.

YOU voted these people in.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
8 p.m., Friday night

Man and Child Shot Near Ralph Brooks Park - South 20th Street and Tasker Street - Point Breeze

8:03: Police confirm a man and child are shot and are canvassing the area for a black Jeep with three male suspects.

8:14: According to police a black SUV can be seen fleeing eastbound on Fernon Street from South 20th Street in security camera footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia