Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2021, 04:51 AM

403 posts, read 296,420 times

Advertisements

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...rnoon/2696985/

7 Homicides Yesterday.

The crazy thing about this is that historically the homicide rate is usually lower in the winter months and spikes in the summer months.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:17 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...rnoon/2696985/

7 Homicides Yesterday.

The crazy thing about this is that historically the homicide rate is usually lower in the winter months and spikes in the summer months.
Wow. I just posted this article in a Philadelphia development/planning/policy group. I am interested to see if a fruitful discussion will develop.

My comments in the FB group were "where is the mayor, police commissioner, city council"? The level of incompetency is astounding, and I can literally picture them all saying "it is what it is" and then moving on...

Helen Gym basically said "it is what it is" when someone asked her about the tax system (and its problems) in Philadelphia. This isn't likely any different.

Its been discussed, but is there any obvious reason for the dramatic increase in homicides since 2018? (any actual research?). Is crime truly rising? smaller turfs? The whole entitlement / anti-police sentiments? I noticed recently an increase in murders that involved random civilians, either targeted or caught in cross-fire. It's happened in the past, but the brazenness of perps with guns seems higher nowadays.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:46 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Wow. I just posted this article in a Philadelphia development/planning/policy group. I am interested to see if a fruitful discussion will develop.

My comments in the FB group were "where is the mayor, police commissioner, city council"? The level of incompetency is astounding, and I can literally picture them all saying "it is what it is" and then moving on...

Helen Gym basically said "it is what it is" when someone asked her about the tax system (and its problems) in Philadelphia. This isn't likely any different.

Its been discussed, but is there any obvious reason for the dramatic increase in homicides since 2018? (any actual research?). Is crime truly rising? smaller turfs? The whole entitlement / anti-police sentiments? I noticed recently an increase in murders that involved random civilians, either targeted or caught in cross-fire. It's happened in the past, but the brazenness of perps with guns seems higher nowadays.

The crazy thing about it. Is this is the winter season.

Historically crime is at its lowest points from January - April and once May - October arrive, crime spikes.

I do not have the answers to your questions above. And this is why there should be a press conference by both the city and commissioner.

Philadelphia's reputation has not completely been tarnished. But at this rate we might surpass Chicago as the deadliest large city in the USA.

If this violence continues, l can guarantee people will start leaving and second guess making the decision of moving here.

Many many empty nesters have made the choice to downsize from the suburbs to move into the city. But if this violence continues, I can see that trend stopping completely.

At some point, the business community starts to sound the alarm. And City Hall listens.

But all we hear are crickets.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

Historically crime is at its lowest points from January - April and once May - October arrive, crime spikes.

I do not have the answers to your questions above. And this is why there should be a press conference by both the city and commissioner.

Philadelphia's reputation has not completely been tarnished. But at this rate we might surpass Chicago as the deadliest large city in the USA.

If this violence continues, l can guarantee people will start leaving and second guess making the decision of moving here.

Many many empty nesters have made the choice to downsize from the suburbs to move into the city. But if this violence continues, I can see that trend stopping completely.

At some point, the business community starts to sound the alarm. And City Hall listens.

Yes to the bold. There should be monthly press conferences at the very least, and at some point, local institutions, business leaders, etc. need to make noise. And yes, it will certainly affect peoples decisions to move into the city, which is still largely fueled by people coming in from the suburbs.

I did see (I was Googling) Councilwoman Jamie Gauthier actually supports enacting a State of Emergency and a call for immediate action on the gun violence problem. I have to read her full write-up, but very good that she is pushing for immediate action.

And yes, I understand we are still in a pandemic, but we can only blame that so much, (as some people are on the FB group we are in).

Old 02-09-2021, 07:19 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yes to the bold. There should be monthly press conferences at the very least, and at some point, local institutions, business leaders, etc. need to make noise. And yes, it will certainly affect peoples decisions to move into the city, which is still largely fueled by people coming in from the suburbs.

I did see (I was Googling) Councilwoman Jamie Gauthier actually supports enacting a State of Emergency and a call for immediate action on the gun violence problem. I have to read her full write-up, but very good that she is pushing for immediate action.

And yes, I understand we are still in a pandemic, but we can only blame that so much, (as some people are on the FB group we are in).
I will have to chime into the post on FB you made.

But yes, there should be a press conference. Times like this call for leadership. And there is absolutely none.

Our old commissioner would have press conferences all the time. The current one does not.

7 homicides in one day is very bad. The city so far in just over a month has seen a 55% increase in homicides from last year. And last year was record breaking.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:24 AM

840 posts, read 694,103 times
Its obvious that Outlaw was/is over her head. You bring in a chief from a (was) quiet west coast city to deal with Philly crime. The fingernail polish issue should have been everyones first clue. With the ultra liberalism going on though maybe she is what they wanted, who knows.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:13 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:

That is what happened several years ago after a series of "Flash Mob Attacks" in the Midtown Village area. Their business association (mostly dining and drink) got on Nutter's case, police presence was stepped up, and everything was good for the most part. Of course there was more funding for the Police back then.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:27 AM

1,697 posts, read 973,279 times
Quote:
I will have to chime into the post on FB you made.

But yes, there should be a press conference. Times like this call for leadership. And there is absolutely none.

Our old commissioner would have press conferences all the time. The current one does not.

7 homicides in one day is very bad. The city so far in just over a month has seen a 55% increase in homicides from last year. And last year was record breaking.
7 gun deaths a day isn't that far from the daily death toll from Covid.

This gun violence IS a pandemic. And if the city needs some "radical" to push a call to end this, the city is DEAF.

If there isn't a detailed explaination of what the city plans to do about this explosion of violence, we will get what we deserve. It's more than just gang/drug involvement now - or at least it looks like it's more, optically. People already want to believe that Philly is more violent than othe cities. If we actually are, you can bet the "rennaisance" we've been talking about will disappear and quick. This stuff will have a dramatic impact on revenues and business development in this town. People won't bring their businesses to this city if their employees are getting mowed down as they walk their dogs. And empty-nesters aren't going to pack their Main-Line homes up to move to town if they're worried about gun fire.

You see one of the many gun deaths start to happen in Rittenhouse? Forget it. It's over.

How the HELL does this escape City Hall?

Old 02-09-2021, 10:19 AM

403 posts, read 296,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
7 gun deaths a day isn't that far from the daily death toll from Covid.

This gun violence IS a pandemic. And if the city needs some "radical" to push a call to end this, the city is DEAF.

If there isn't a detailed explaination of what the city plans to do about this explosion of violence, we will get what we deserve. It's more than just gang/drug involvement now - or at least it looks like it's more, optically. People already want to believe that Philly is more violent than othe cities. If we actually are, you can bet the "rennaisance" we've been talking about will disappear and quick. This stuff will have a dramatic impact on revenues and business development in this town. People won't bring their businesses to this city if their employees are getting mowed down as they walk their dogs. And empty-nesters aren't going to pack their Main-Line homes up to move to town if they're worried about gun fire.

You see one of the many gun deaths start to happen in Rittenhouse? Forget it. It's over.

How the HELL does this escape City Hall?

I agree. Where is the Police Commissioner??

She is totally silent.

She actually defended herself, and spoke more about herself than the violence in her last press conference, which the City Controller called her out with lack of leadership.

Our old commissioner would have press conferences weekly. She has NONE. Pretty insane to me. I think Philadelphia is a bit too much for her.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:13 PM

Some good news regarding the city coming back to life...Indoor dining can increase to 50% as soon as this Friday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia