Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2021, 08:00 AM

744 posts, read 779,042 times

Advertisements

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...g-man/2982166/

More embarrassing behavior by Philadelphia police officers. Hopefully the police union supports his termination. Not holding my breath though. Incompetence on all sides.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:16 AM

1,036 posts, read 453,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...g-man/2982166/

More embarrassing behavior by Philadelphia police officers. Hopefully the police union supports his termination. Not holding my breath though. Incompetence on all sides.
Terminated? For what? Because some community activist believes a white cop is ''talking down'' to this dude? This activist uses logic like ''cops are policing us, not policing with us''...smh...calls cops ''the enemy''.

What's the context here otherwise? This is so staged by this dude..lol..and is only coming out now as a distraction. Throw some $ at this dude for being a victim of racist white cops cuz that's what he's looking for...please.

Where is the actual ''victim'' here and not just some block or community activist being setting the narrative. Let's just ante up the $151 million anti violence program funding cuz this '' talking down to'' by white cops to has got to stop.

where are the social workers and psychiatrists for these calls? When are they going to hit the streets of North, West, and SW Philly?

Philly homicides 10/5: 422+

Last edited by MPK21; 10-06-2021 at 10:32 AM..

Old 10-06-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Terminated? For what? Because some community activist believes a white cop is ''talking down'' to this dude? This activist uses logic like ''cops are policing us, not policing with us''...smh...calls cops ''the enemy''.
Ummm...for his conduct in this video. You don't have to like the guy in the video for this conduct to be 100% unacceptable.
Quote:
What's the context here otherwise? This is so staged by this dude..lol..and is only coming out now as a distraction. Throw some $ at this dude for being a victim of racist white cops cuz that's what he's looking for...please.
I am curious what context you think there could be for this to be acceptable behavior by a police officer? I don't care about this particular person receiving money, what disturbs me is that on one side we have zealots like Krasner who think everything the police do is tainted by evil, and then on the other side we people who will defend outrageous behavior by the police even when it is caught clear as day on camera. Not sure how to bridge that gap. It is encounters like these that lead so people to Krasner in the first place

Old 10-06-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Ummm...for his conduct in this video. You don't have to like the guy in the video for this conduct to be 100% unacceptable.

I am curious what context you think there could be for this to be acceptable behavior by a police officer? I don't care about this particular person receiving money, what disturbs me is that on one side we have zealots like Krasner who think everything the police do is tainted by evil, and then on the other side we people who will defend outrageous behavior by the police even when it is caught clear as day on camera. Not sure how to bridge that gap. It is encounters like these that lead so people to Krasner in the first place
Let the victim speak out, not some community activist. where's the whole video? what's the context?
Who knew cops ''talk down'' only to black people? Hmm...

Sorry, it's all out of context. Give whoever this is his $$ payout and fire this cop...everyone will be happy. This video leads people to Krasner?

Is there a lawsuit filed? What would the basis for it be? who is this victim? he can only get $ if he files a claim.

Wonder what the reason is we don't know who this victim is? Can't say he's looking for $$ yet as no one knows who he is...hmm.

If this leads to a job termination and is considered outrageous based only on an out of context video clip...and with this ''community activist'' logic of ''cops shouldn't police us, they should police with us''...good luck bridging that gap...meanwhile, the toll BLL (Black Lives Lost) here and across the U.S.

Given what's going in Philly now crime/violence and drifting wise...perfect timing for a white racist cop talking down to a black dude at night on the streets of north philly in an out of context video snippet.

Old 10-06-2021, 03:55 PM

9,412 posts, read 9,399,357 times
I hate to say it, but I'm more on the side of MPK21. With all the egregious and brazen crime happening throughout the city, this makes headlines and will cause the most uproar... The police are painted as the enemy in most large cities and that is a problem (speaking as a Democrat).

Once this cop is fired, threatened, sued, run out of town, etc., the "activists" are happy. But the shockingly high murder rate, attacks on random citizens, people killed in crossfire, brazen criminal activity spreading throughout the city, stagnant high poverty rate, large homeless population, etc. are somehow not of concern, or at least the "activists" don't speak of it...

The point I agree with KansastoSouthphilly on is the extremist stance on both ends of the spectrum. Philadelphia is on the one end and the city suffers from the nonsense, and the older I get the less patience I have for it. (I guess I could say the same for the opposite crowd if I lived in Florida.)

And I always acknowledge when police are in the wrong, and this cop was likely out of line, but so was the circus in front of city hall Saturday night, where is the outrage from leaders, "activists", etc.?

Last edited by cpomp; 10-06-2021 at 04:12 PM..

Old 10-07-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I hate to say it, but I'm more on the side of MPK21. With all the egregious and brazen crime happening throughout the city, this makes headlines and will cause the most uproar... The police are painted as the enemy in most large cities and that is a problem (speaking as a Democrat).
I understand your point and I agree that the Crime and skyrocketing murder rate is the bigger problem. My point, however, is decades of willfully ignoring police misconduct has alienated a huge chunk of the population and we are never going to reach any sort of meaningful consensus if we can't at least acknolwedge misconduct when it occurs. Unless it is determined this video is a deep fake or something this video should lead to the officer being disciplined. If the union opposes this then they are not operating in good faith.

Quote:
Once this cop is fired, threatened, sued, run out of town, etc., the "activists" are happy. But the shockingly high murder rate, attacks on random citizens, people killed in crossfire, brazen criminal activity spreading throughout the city, stagnant high poverty rate, large homeless population, etc. are somehow not of concern, or at least the "activists" don't speak of it...
Agreed. I do think reform is clearly needed, but we need a holistic approach. Many people on the left are also not operating in good faith. Many people on the left pretend "defund the police" is not about actually abolishing the police, but anyone who spends any time of the Philadelphia FB group knows many of these people want to literally abolish all police and replace them with social workers. These people are silly and should be ignored but the left has failed to do so.

Quote:
And I always acknowledge when police are in the wrong, and this cop was likely out of line, but so was the circus in front of city hall Saturday night, where is the outrage from leaders, "activists", etc.?
Agreed. The activist population could not care less about the quality of life of average Philadelphians. They don't care that a handful of people inconvenienced and endangered thousands of people by hosting a drifting event but they would care if the police had to arrest these people. They don't care that the homeless have made many parks, train stations, bus stops etc. unsafe and not usable for their intended purpose but they do get up in arms when a company adopts "hostile architecture" to try prevent the homeless from sleeping in front of their businesses or parks. I could go on and on. Everyone just has their sense that they view these issues.

Old 10-07-2021, 08:54 AM

1,705 posts, read 982,827 times
Cops need to be able to cop. We have taken away any ability they once had to police. They are afraid to engage in any type of issue for fear of prosecution. It's way easier to throw your hands up and walk away and unfortunately, there is no one to police the police in that regard.

We have created a monster here. The dirty cops (and there are many) have destroyed the profession to the degree that simply the sight of a cop in uniform has people scared and defensive. And cops are too.

Krasner is another problem all together. He's the embodiment of this ridiculous "defund" nonsense. Criminals need to be held accountable. When the hell did THAT change? People stand around scratching their heads about how all this crime and murder is happening. It's embarrassing. We have adopted policies that allow crime and murder to flourish. We don't arrest criminals anymore. And when we do, Krasner stands there at the jail, flashes a gang sign (ok I made that part up), and unlocks his cuffs.

I throw this stat around here all the time but to me it tell A LOT of the story....

60% increase in gun arrests in 2020. 40% reduction in gun prosecutions.

The math is worse than it looks on the surface. That reduction does not take into account the increase of arrests. That reduction is based off of the prior years arrests.

Why can't people see how this sucks!?

As a disclaimer: I am a Liberal Democrat. Not that it should matter.

Old 10-07-2021, 12:20 PM

14,299 posts, read 9,184,962 times
Quote:
Agreed. I do think reform is clearly needed, but we need a holistic approach. Many people on the left are also not operating in good faith. Many people on the left pretend "defund the police" is not about actually abolishing the police, but anyone who spends any time of the Philadelphia FB group knows many of these people want to literally abolish all police and replace them with social workers. These people are silly and should be ignored but the left has failed to do so.
The funny thing is, some of those on the left making this argument are Black (one of them: a colleague of mine at PhillyMag).

Yet from what I can tell, actual Blacks living in lower-income, high-crime neighborhoods want to have cops around. And the ones they feel they can trust, they support.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:37 AM

So, since Philly hit 400 homicides on 9/25, the total is, as of 10/7, 427. That's 27 in 12 days. Lots of shootings of course with many in critical condition. Another teen (15 y.o. black male) shot this week.

September 2021 homicide total of 54 is a new monthly record.

Violent crime uptick in Center City as well...just a sampling...armed robbery at Barclay Prime (Rittenhouse Square), stabbing at Varga Bar (9th/Spruce), man assaulted/beat at 13/Chestnut WaWa by group of men; a few stabbings here-n-there in CC-this was just Weds night. Homicide inside Jeff Hospital, Asian women violently assaulted last week for no apparent reason at 21/Walnut (wasn't robbed, just violently punched as she was walking);armed robbery at 19/Market...these CC WaWa locations and the ''no confrontation'' sure seem to attract even more trouble; these new CC WaWa locations now have a history of negative issues.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:24 AM

It's interesting that folks need to provide their political identification when discussing topics like maybe we need cops after all.

Gotta wonder what they were thinking the collateral fallout would be and where it would hit when political leaders allowed, promoted, and engaged in an all-out violent war on police departments an officers last year for a presidential election?

From the current President & VP, Senators, Reps, mayors, community leaders etc all stood with felons and other assorted career criminal street drug addicts engaged in encounters with cops. Some cities allowed police stations to be attacked and burned to the ground by mobs of anarchists disguised as ''justice for george floyd'' protesters.

Again, creating the Floyd Effect for a presidential election will cost 10,000s+ unnecessary black homicides. Philly is in the grips of its escalating toll and having certain elected officials and other political opportunists continue to fuel and manipulate the racial divisions, at the cost of black lives of course.

This all plays up to and manipulates white people as it does the black community; difference is that it's literally costing black lives by the 1,000s just this year.

Philly can expect elevated homicides for a while as it tries, for now, to keep homicides under 500/year....never mind trying to get to the 2013-2014 levels of under 250/year.

Reap what you sow...

Last edited by MPK21; 10-08-2021 at 09:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia