Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2021, 10:34 AM

1,171 posts, read 607,344 times

Advertisements

Oh, they were soccer hooligans, of course. I will take this time to reiterate how Unamerican I find soccer and refuse to even pretend to care about it during the World Cup.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:29 PM

2,249 posts, read 1,153,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Honestly like what is wrong with our species?... Are some of us just wired to be violent? I couldn't imagine ever getting into an altercation that would lead to death by beating (even if I was wasted), and over sports...

This is the 2nd death this summer at Pat's, the other was a sports argument too I think?

Man dead, two others injured following brawl at Pat’s King of Steaks: ‘It was just mayhem’

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210916.html
Yeah, conflicting reports on the brawl at Pats. From what I’ve read it was over a spot in line and the man who was killed was the initial aggressor. The girlfriend egged the initial victim on and he sounded up shooting the man to death.

Old 09-16-2021, 01:03 PM

393 posts, read 274,650 times
Quote:
Honestly like what is wrong with our species?... Are some of us just wired to be violent? I couldn't imagine ever getting into an altercation that would lead to death by beating (even if I was wasted), and over sports...

This is the 2nd death this summer at Pat's, the other was a sports argument too I think?

Man dead, two others injured following brawl at Pat’s King of Steaks: ‘It was just mayhem’

Yeah it’s so bizarre, I can’t imagine either. At least if it was just one punch or something and the guy hit his head wrong that would make more sense but this seems like a continued beating. I don’t know how someone could get so angry to do something like that with their bare hands to someone they didn’t even know 10 minutes ago.

Old 09-16-2021, 05:54 PM

7,020 posts, read 3,791,408 times
Quote:

I was sleep when all this was going on

Old 09-17-2021, 08:00 AM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Philly DA Larry Krasner won’t debate his Republican challenger, calling it ‘a waste of time’

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/cl...-20210917.html

Krasner is such an arrogant a$$. (I know he has the election in the bag, but still)...

And this this quote seems to be a recurring theme with Krasner... "First, Krasner told Clout he hadn’t received an invitation to debate, suggested it would be “a waste of time,” but still sounded open to the idea."

He also said he never received calls from Mayor Kenney or the Delaware County DA in the past. As if he can't pick up a damn phone himself.

Another classic line... "“Would it be a waste of time? Yeah, it would be a waste of time to do that,” Krasner said Tuesday when asked about debates. “In a time of citywide and national crisis, I think my day job is much more important, frankly, than putting time into a campaign.”"

I don't understand the appeal for his constituents.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:43 AM

Purposely not debating your opponent is a very common practice in non competitive races. There is basically no upside for Krasner to participate. Sure some might talk about civic engagement but there are plenty of other forums that don't involve giving a microphone to some other person that frankly doesn't matter. Now I know little about Peruto but we've seen this before, run hapless race against an opponent one side hates and boom you are an instant celebrity. Didn't some rando raise millions running a fruitless campaign against AOC? Why give Peruto an opportunity to create viral moments and lead to paid appearances on Fox News?

Its not worth it, and its not scandalous.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:22 AM

1,036 posts, read 458,293 times
Quote:
Philly DA Larry Krasner won’t debate his Republican challenger, calling it ‘a waste of time’

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/cl...-20210917.html

Krasner is such an arrogant a$$. (I know he has the election in the bag, but still)...

And this this quote seems to be a recurring theme with Krasner... "First, Krasner told Clout he hadn’t received an invitation to debate, suggested it would be “a waste of time,” but still sounded open to the idea."

He also said he never received calls from Mayor Kenney or the Delaware County DA in the past. As if he can't pick up a damn phone himself.

Another classic line... "“Would it be a waste of time? Yeah, it would be a waste of time to do that,” Krasner said Tuesday when asked about debates. “In a time of citywide and national crisis, I think my day job is much more important, frankly, than putting time into a campaign.”"

I don't understand the appeal for his constituents.
So it looks like if you want to commit retail theft, especially in Center City, have at it. Recent personal experiences in CC Walgreen's...2 dudes actually blocking an aisle, one loaded-up on laundry detergent and casually walked out the door, the other literally roaming the store with a large sack, randomly ''shopped'' around....the check-out clerk said they don't or can't stop anyone...referred to the dude roaming around the store as ''oh yeah, I know he's doing his thing''....WaWa, even if there's security will not stop anyone as well...security guard said it's a store-by-store policy but most of CC locations don't stop/confront folks stealing...the female manager at the CVS 12/Walnut was violently assaulted shortly after that location opened last year..and I saw her about a week prior to this assist someone in finding particular merchandise...dude then walked out with, you guessed it, laundry detergent...week later she's in the hospital...so at least at the national chains one can openly steal and even with a Philly cop present, it seems that you may stopped but won't be prosecuted provided your total ''check-out'' amount is under $1,000. Private-small businesses that can't afford wholesale theft is another story I hope but then again we're in the post-Starbucks Bathroom movement era which opened a huge can o'worms.

As far as I know, the theft laws are still on the books but Krasner selectively, as with other criminal statutes, enforces the law. San Francisco has this same policy, which is the reason several Walgreens recentlt closed in that city.

Underlying theories with this policy is that some people can't afford things, so stealing is permitted as a social equity excuse and profiling people to limit criminal records as a criminal reform excuse.

But Philly folks apparently overwhelmingly like Little Larry so he'll stay in office doing his thing. In the meantime, remember, it's open season on Philly retail with no consequences...even as the homicide victims pile up...smh

Old 09-22-2021, 11:37 AM

Did you call the police? Did anyone call the police?

Old 09-22-2021, 01:16 PM

1,036 posts, read 458,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Did you call the police? Did anyone call the police?
No, why call the cops? These people will not be prosecuted; that's the point. You think PPD is going to track-down someone for laundry detergent?

The clerks working in the stores don't do anything because, at least at the national chains, it's a ''no confrontation'' policy. And who wants to to risk bodily harm or their life from shoplifters for a Walgreens paying low wages?

I went into a RiteAid with one of those Target carry bags looking for a particular item...wasn't there so I left and in doing so one of the workers looked at my bag as I got to the exit...I offered it to her to inspect...she said ''nope''....hands off policy.

Cop in a CC Target, when I saw a woman sneak behind the security device...I mentioned it to him....response ''she probably paid for what she has''. why would a cop at Target risk his/her career if he pursues, especially a POC, for shoplifting? Again, though, these folks will not be prosecuted in the end, while a worker or cop is injured, killed, or has their career ruined.

Clerks at some stores have been confronted by BLM for calling cops on shoplifters...because calling the cops is now equated with getting a POC killed. Or, if you or I call the cops, we're giving POC a death sentence. Look at all the edited, out of context videos of people calling cops on anyone. No thanks; Walgreens, Target, WaWa etc don't care, I'm not taking it on...and cops won't do anything anyway.

That's the ''logic''...open season for retail theft...have it at.

Larry Krasner, the top law enforcement official in Philly, will not prosecute thefts under $1,000.

Call the cops when the in-store PPD or security people don't do anything...? These folks are just window dressing...stores without cop/security are really getting slammed.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:02 PM

Is there a policy saying no charges if less than $1000? (not being snarky, I don't know, I didn't find anything). I did take a look at the DA website, property crime charges are way down since he took office, and yeah, I highly doubt the number of property crime instances went down that much, if at all.

https://data.philadao.com/Charge_Report.html

Interestingly enough, I didn't witness a security guard confront a shoplifter in an Acme a couple months ago. No idea if he was charged (though I assume no, do the old fashioned put his picture up in the manager's office routine) but it was just a calzone... Meanwhile the guy caught was clearly on his lunch break, working for a moving company. I wished I noted which company so I know not to ever use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia