Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2021, 03:38 PM

1,465 posts, read 622,149 times

Advertisements

Got the rapist!
https://6abc.com/police-id-man-arres...cys-/10366675/

We're too soft on violent criminals in this country. This guy should be locked up forever since his victim is going to have to live with the trauma forever.
Guys like this, once locked up, should never have any 'luxuries' such as TV, dessert, athletics, etc.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I just re-read and wanted to clarify......

When I said "Left Media. So tired of that...." I meant that I'm tired of people categorizing the media as "the Left Media."
They wouldn't be categorized as such if they were balanced. Ever take a look at our local newspapers? They're embarrassing.

And it seems like every night on the local news stations we're getting an inclusion and diversity lesson.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
Reps for both the previous posts.

This is the age of excuses. Poor parenting and far left media sympathizing has created a society of excuses and sympathy for criminals. The erosion of the family unit (two parents dedicated) has absolutely led us down this path. That's why schools in bad neighborhoods are rarely good, because how can a teacher undo all the bad that is happening at home and on the streets?

We continue to villainize the police, but then give no attention to the conditions in which they need to operate in. I still say that there are a lot of people out there that could use a ride-along with the police into some of these bad neighborhoods so they can get some perspective. And I'm with Reddog that bad police need to be prosecuted fast, but society (in general) needs a wake-up call on what is happening on the streets and the conditions that police operate in on a daily basis. I've said it before and I'll say it again; we are not having a full discussion about the current situation. Community, policing, education, parenting (accountability), and economics all have to be discussed. And we cannot allow lawlessness (which is clear there is a big anti-"law and order" crowd).
Anything goes now in this city and the scum know it.

It started with the little things not being punished ... tinted windows, loud music coming from vehicles ...then it moved to graffiti, pretty much any kind of property crime, theft, simple assault ... now this is where we're at today.

Same with the schools (which started decades ago). A lot of it due to certain policies that coddle certain demographics.

When will the powers that be realize that coddling bad people doesn't work?

Old 02-24-2021, 05:06 PM

About a half hour ago a bunch of thugs were running around the City Hall area attacking people with belts.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:53 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,747,103 times
well its been quiet today so far with being a mild 59 degrees

Old 02-24-2021, 08:52 PM

14,161 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
We continue to villainize the police, but then give no attention to the conditions in which they need to operate in. I still say that there are a lot of people out there that could use a ride-along with the police into some of these bad neighborhoods so they can get some perspective. And I'm with Reddog that bad police need to be prosecuted fast, but society (in general) needs a wake-up call on what is happening on the streets and the conditions that police operate in on a daily basis. I've said it before and I'll say it again; we are not having a full discussion about the current situation. Community, policing, education, parenting (accountability), and economics all have to be discussed. And we cannot allow lawlessness (which is clear there is a big anti-"law and order" crowd).
I don't know whether you saw this or not, or whether you read about this or not, but this ride-along got some publicity before the guy who went on it left here for New Orleans.

One of the things I take away from it is that good policing is not just a matter of catching bad guys (and gals). It's at its fundamentals a matter of community relations — of establishing trust between the officers and the people they are sworn to protect.

You will hear in the film about the ride-along tales about parents telling their children not to get friendly with the cop because "he will lock you up." I guarantee you they didn't get that attitude because they were brainwashed by some left-wing activist. It travels through the air.

And you will see examples of the opposite — people in rough neighborhoods who do have that level of trust in the cops, in no small part because both the cops and the residents want to establish trust with each other.

You can read a little more about what Malcolm Jenkins took away from his ride-along in this Philadelphia Citizen essay he wrote. (He had devoted an entire season's worth of columns to the subject of criminal justice and the need for criminal justice reform.)

Something I took away from former Commissioner Richard Ross' presence and comments in the video: Had Jenkins approached Commissioner Danielle Outlaw, would she have been confident and astute enough to do this?

Some time later, Jenkins penned an Inquirer op-ed in which he argued that the city needed a Police Commissioner who was committed to accountability and transparency and who could stand up to FOP Lodge 5. This drew a put-down letter from police union president John McNesby, reproduced here.

IMO, McNesby is as much part of the problem as the criminals themselves are. I've suggested on occasion that we would see improvement in both how many rank-and-file officers acted and police-community relations if we replaced the FOP Lodge 5 leadership with that of the Guardian Civic League and made them the representative of the officers in negotiations with the city.

But the point holds: Establishing trust with the community is key to more effective policing (and will also make the difference between people feeling they're being "policed" and being "protected"). Clearly, we need to kick our cloning capabilities into high gear and crank out clones of Captain James Cram.

Old 02-25-2021, 05:04 AM

Can we stop blaming the police for the crime coming from 'the community'? It would be more effective to start a campaign teaching them about teen pregnancy, learning how to read, graduating high school, not solving every problem with violence, etc.

BTW, 'the community' helped in the arrest of the Macy's rapist.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:21 AM

463 posts, read 206,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I don't know whether you saw this or not, or whether you read about this or not, but this ride-along got some publicity before the guy who went on it left here for New Orleans.

One of the things I take away from it is that good policing is not just a matter of catching bad guys (and gals). It's at its fundamentals a matter of community relations — of establishing trust between the officers and the people they are sworn to protect.

You will hear in the film about the ride-along tales about parents telling their children not to get friendly with the cop because "he will lock you up." I guarantee you they didn't get that attitude because they were brainwashed by some left-wing activist. It travels through the air.

And you will see examples of the opposite — people in rough neighborhoods who do have that level of trust in the cops, in no small part because both the cops and the residents want to establish trust with each other.

You can read a little more about what Malcolm Jenkins took away from his ride-along in this Philadelphia Citizen essay he wrote. (He had devoted an entire season's worth of columns to the subject of criminal justice and the need for criminal justice reform.)

Something I took away from former Commissioner Richard Ross' presence and comments in the video: Had Jenkins approached Commissioner Danielle Outlaw, would she have been confident and astute enough to do this?

Some time later, Jenkins penned an Inquirer op-ed in which he argued that the city needed a Police Commissioner who was committed to accountability and transparency and who could stand up to FOP Lodge 5. This drew a put-down letter from police union president John McNesby, reproduced here.

IMO, McNesby is as much part of the problem as the criminals themselves are. I've suggested on occasion that we would see improvement in both how many rank-and-file officers acted and police-community relations if we replaced the FOP Lodge 5 leadership with that of the Guardian Civic League and made them the representative of the officers in negotiations with the city.

But the point holds: Establishing trust with the community is key to more effective policing (and will also make the difference between people feeling they're being "policed" and being "protected"). Clearly, we need to kick our cloning capabilities into high gear and crank out clones of Captain James Cram.
Thanks for the link, I appreciate it. I believe that if real change is going to happen, all of these different advocates need to get together and get on the same page, AND they need to take Jenkins' approach by being informed about the issue on both sides. That was a good read. However, you can see that he's only one guy and there are all these others out there making noise and they probably don't have the same perspective. That just shows how big this thing is and how far it will need to go.

With bad leaders in place, Outlaw, Kenney, and Outlaw in particular, I'm not sure what kind of really good change can happen. We really needed Ramsey and Nutter in office during this time.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:27 AM

463 posts, read 206,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Can we stop blaming the police for the crime coming from 'the community'? It would be more effective to start a campaign teaching them about teen pregnancy, learning how to read, graduating high school, not solving every problem with violence, etc.
There's the short game and the long game. The short game is building trust and respect with communities (every community), being aware of the real challenges the police face, and adjusting policies with a focus on being tough on violent crime. But as we've talked before, you can't have effective policing in the worst neighborhoods if you don't fix the relationship issue. The long game is addressing issues with parenting and schooling, which hit on violence, pregnancies, reading, graduating, etc. That's probably an even tougher issue, but it has to follow the short game because you can't get cooperation or support for the long game if you're failing in your short game.

The police, the communities, and our policies all share some blame.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:08 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,615 times
Quote:
There's the short game and the long game. The short game is building trust and respect with communities (every community), being aware of the real challenges the police face, and adjusting policies with a focus on being tough on violent crime. But as we've talked before, you can't have effective policing in the worst neighborhoods if you don't fix the relationship issue. The long game is addressing issues with parenting and schooling, which hit on violence, pregnancies, reading, graduating, etc. That's probably an even tougher issue, but it has to follow the short game because you can't get cooperation or support for the long game if you're failing in your short game.

The police, the communities, and our policies all share some blame.
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia