Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2019, 08:04 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Well, I do note that were I to move back to my hometown (#13), I'd be at greater risk of violent crime, and at even greater risk in #3 St. Louis.

But I also note that both Anchorage and Nashville place higher on this list, and I sure don't hear people warning others away from either of those cities.
Harrisburg, York, and Chester (surprise, surprise) are also higher than Philly on the list. These stats are "per capita", but still.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:01 PM

938 posts, read 445,877 times
Kensington:
https://6abc.com/man-gunned-down-by-...ikes-/5367565/
I'll tell yi - these guys have guts.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:41 PM

Recent crime in Center City West:
https://spotcrime.com/pa/philadelphia/city+center+west

Center City East:
https://spotcrime.com/pa/philadelphia/city+center+east

Old 06-27-2019, 07:40 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Quote:
I'm only two years younger than you are, but at least one person I know has called me "the young elder."

I don't go out like I used to either, but I think I still have a higher tolerance for crowds and noise, and I'm not as easily rattled by news of mayhem.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I had gotten caught in the crossfire of one of the shootings that have taken place on my block and the one next to it (counting the murder that took place across the street from me two Sunday overnights ago, six in as many years, and three of those six in 2016, two of those one month apart at opposite ends of my block), but I know that these affairs are spats between people who know each other, and I'm not involved with that crowd. The murders that have occurred weren't the drive-by, sprays-of-gunfire type.

I am, however, also male. That too may make a difference.
Holy Moses!!! I'd be a hot MESS!!!

Old 06-28-2019, 05:37 AM

West Philly (56th and Market):
https://6abc.com/1-killed-1-injured-...oting/5369295/
Booze and a lack of impulse and emotional control is a good way to wind up in prison for a long time.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:40 AM

Point Breeze:
https://6abc.com/25-shots-fired-into...reeze/5369269/
25 more shots fired on the streets of Philadelphia. The African-American thug culture is almost comical at this point (but it really isn't).

Old 06-28-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Holy Moses!!! I'd be a hot MESS!!!
Yeah, the shootings are usually personal and/or 'business' related, but the problem with living near these types is they also rob/rape/assault/harass/burglarize innocents. The closer you live to them the better chance you have of being a victim.
Crime can (and does) happen everywhere, but you have a better chance of being a victim in say Spring Garden/Fairmount and it's proximity to the rough parts of North Philly than you do in Newtown, Bucks County.
Although, in Newtown, because of the white junkies in nearby towns, you still may be a victim of theft or burglary, but not so much violence. Same goes for my neighborhood.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:12 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Yeah, the shootings are usually personal and/or 'business' related, but the problem with living near these types is they also rob/rape/assault/harass/burglarize innocents. The closer you live to them the better chance you have of being a victim.
The folks who hang out on my block usually do nothing more than hit me up for change, or for booze when I'm cooking out on my front porch (and in that case, only two who I've gotten to know; one of those, an older man who I'd say is something of a lush, seems oddly protective of me. I also am nodding acquanted with the dealer two doors down from me. He seems to run a tightly policed ship at his house. My almost-college-classmate [he's two years behind me and a Mt. Airy native] who's an associate pastor at First Presbyterian Germantown and lives on the other side of the neighborhood knows him too from work in the community.)

I have no quarrel with your statement about the general odds, though. But I'm with kyb01 in arguing that if you keep your wits about you, you probably won't come to harm even in more dangerous neighborhoods.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:20 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
I do have another piece of counterfactual anecdotal evidence. It comes from my next-door neighbor, who fixed up the vacant house next door to the one I live in and moved into it about two years ago now.

About six months after he had moved in, he struck up a conversation with me as I was firing up my grill.

He told me that he had moved from a safer neighborhood closer to the city center. In that neighborhood, he said, his car was constantly getting broken into. It hadn't happened even once in the six months since he moved up.

What I figure is that people up this way know (or believe) that they will find relatively slim pickings in random cars parked on the local streets.

OTOH, my boyfriend who lives in West Philly's Hestonville section (people confuse it for Carroll Park on the other side of Lansdowne Avenue) told me someone had broken into his car yesterday morning. He suspects he also knows the perp - he thinks it's a local junkie who often hits him up for change.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
The folks who hang out on my block usually do nothing more than hit me up for change, or for booze when I'm cooking out on my front porch (and in that case, only two who I've gotten to know; one of those, an older man who I'd say is something of a lush, seems oddly protective of me. I also am nodding acquanted with the dealer two doors down from me. He seems to run a tightly policed ship at his house. My almost-college-classmate [he's two years behind me and a Mt. Airy native] who's an associate pastor at First Presbyterian Germantown and lives on the other side of the neighborhood knows him too from work in the community.)

I have no quarrel with your statement about the general odds, though. But I'm with kyb01 in arguing that if you keep your wits about you, you probably won't come to harm even in more dangerous neighborhoods.
If you're giving change to addict, just be careful ... If you decide to stop giving this could trigger them. Or at some point they may demand more.
I'd rather just not be an option for them.

I don't think it's just about 'keeping your wits about you.' It's also about if the criminal thinks you have something and they can get it. I don't care how street smart you think you are, if somebody comes up on you out of nowhere and puts a gun on you, or if a group decides to make sport of you and jump on you, you're pretty well screwed.
It's mostly luck if you haven't been robbed in bad neighborhoods.

kyb01 is a little too over-protective of hoodrat criminals for my liking. I believe she's like this because they're of the same race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia