Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 11:40 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,853,327 times

Advertisements

To be fair, PSU-Scranton straddles the Dunmore-Throop border, and there is Baptist Bible College, but that's in Clarks Summit...(plus not too many rowdy partying types at BBC!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:44 AM

144 posts, read 223,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
To be fair, PSU-Scranton straddles the Dunmore-Throop border, and there is Baptist Bible College, but that's in Clarks Summit...(plus not too many rowdy partying types at BBC!)
Haha. Good point. I just feel like Scranton's a lot more boring & gloomy than Wilkes-Barre is.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCityTrash View Post
Scranton residents tend to have a more rude, city attitude, whereas, W-B residents tend to have a more hospitable, small town attitude.

I don't know about that. Probably another area where both cities are more similar than different. But there are more people in Scranton that are vocal about politics and complain about the corruption in the city than in W-B for whatever reason, but I'm sure that's changing as the people in and around W-B see the corrupt politicos being sent to jail. Or that may just be because Scranton's complainers have gained some "fame" due to televised city council meetings, so maybe there's just a perception that there's more pi$$ed-off complainers in Scranton. Who knows, but the reality is, if this area is going to get ahead, both cities need to succeed, which should start with booting the corrupt political machines out of office and stopping the cycle of corruption.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I don't know about that. Probably another area where both cities are more similar than different. But there are more people in Scranton that are vocal about politics and complain about the corruption in the city than in W-B for whatever reason, but I'm sure that's changing as the people in and around W-B see the corrupt politicos being sent to jail. Or that may just be because Scranton's complainers have gained some "fame" due to televised city council meetings, so maybe there's just a perception that there's more pi$$ed-off complainers in Scranton. Who knows, but the reality is, if this area is going to get ahead, both cities need to succeed, which should start with booting the corrupt political machines out of office and stopping the cycle of corruption.
I think areas like Edwardsville, Ashley, Larksville, Dickson City, Taylor, & similar places should be absorbed into either W-B or Scranton in order to help our economy. Now, just hear me out. This is a theory I've had for a while. Look at a case like Edwardsvile, where it's about 1 square mile with less than 5,000 citizens or or Ashley which is about 1 sq mile with only around 2,000 residents (just an estimate). Where's the sense in buying firetrucks, police cars, garbage trucks, ambulances, and other city/community vehicles, among other expenses for such a small amount of people, when they can just as easily be serves by our city. It doesn't make sense.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Also, I do believe Wilkes-Barre & Scranton need to work together to stay alive, but I believe the dominant role is shifting. W-B is much more of financial core than Scranton. There are millions of square feet of office space in downtown W-B (granted, a lot of it's empty) & we boast quite a few law firms & government offices ourself. I don't want to do away with Scranton, I just think it's time people realized that Scranton's days are done & Wilkes-Barre is head honcho now. By the way, slightly unrelated, but would W-B & Scranton be considered twin cities?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
By the way, slightly unrelated, but would W-B & Scranton be considered twin cities?
Yeah, I always thought of them that way, as I would think most around here do. Unfortunately, there always seemed to be a competition between the 2 cities, but not a healthy competition, more like both cities looking down their noses at the other (which I guess we're helping to perpetuate with our bickering over who's downtown is dirtier or has the bigger skyline or who has more rude people..). If the region is going to get ahead, both cities need to at least somewhat work together, since in even though there's 2 significant sized cities, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre really is one metro area.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I think areas like Edwardsville, Ashley, Larksville, Dickson City, Taylor, & similar places should be absorbed into either W-B or Scranton in order to help our economy. Now, just hear me out. This is a theory I've had for a while. Look at a case like Edwardsvile, where it's about 1 square mile with less than 5,000 citizens or or Ashley which is about 1 sq mile with only around 2,000 residents (just an estimate). Where's the sense in buying firetrucks, police cars, garbage trucks, ambulances, and other city/community vehicles, among other expenses for such a small amount of people, when they can just as easily be serves by our city. It doesn't make sense.
That happens a lot out in the midwest, where the cities annex surrounding areas. That should happen here as well. One of this area's problems is too many small governments that are little political fiefdoms that instead of working together, they compete against each other. Even if the towns don't become one municipality, there should be some shared services....police, fire, public works, etc, could all be consolidated on a county-wide basis, kind of like in Maryland and Virginia. Even the school districts down there are county-wide. But too many Barney Fifes and Boss Hoggs around here not willing to give up their power over their little kingdoms. The taxpayers could get a lot more for their money if there was more regional cooperation.

But yes, it would make sense if say, Kingston, Edwardsville, and Forty Fort were part of Wilkes-Barre, and Dunmore, Taylor, Throop, Dickson City were part of Scranton. But I don't see it ever happening. Actually at one point, some sections of Scranton were separate boroughs...Hyde Park (the majority of West Scranton), Providence (a good chunk of North Scranton), and Minooka (the far end of South Scranton bordering Moosic).

Old 06-14-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
That happens a lot out in the midwest, where the cities annex surrounding areas. That should happen here as well. One of this area's problems is too many small governments that are little political fiefdoms that instead of working together, they compete against each other. Even if the towns don't become one municipality, there should be some shared services....police, fire, public works, etc, could all be consolidated on a county-wide basis, kind of like in Maryland and Virginia. Even the school districts down there are county-wide. But too many Barney Fifes and Boss Hoggs around here not willing to give up their power over their little kingdoms. The taxpayers could get a lot more for their money if there was more regional cooperation.

But yes, it would make sense if say, Kingston, Edwardsville, and Forty Fort were part of Wilkes-Barre, and Dunmore, Taylor, Throop, Dickson City were part of Scranton. But I don't see it ever happening. Actually at one point, some sections of Scranton were separate boroughs...Hyde Park (the majority of West Scranton), Providence (a good chunk of North Scranton), and Minooka (the far end of South Scranton bordering Moosic).
I'm aware. Parsons, Miners Mills, Mayflower, & other areas weren't always part of Wilkes-Barre city either. Amalgamation actually happens a lot in eastern cities. For instance, Spring Garden & Fish Town weren't always in Philly. The entire city of New York only consisted of the Island of Manhattan for a very long time too. It can happen, but like you said, people are still stubborn, which I still don't undertand. Even if Kingston were amalgamated into W-B, it wouldn't not exist anymore. It would just be a borough of the city, rather than an independent borough.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:42 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,593,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I moved to Pittsburgh from Michigan a couple years ago. So far the only larger PA cities I have been to are Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. I assume these are the best cities in the state, considering they are the largest and generally considered the most vibrant. Or am I wrong? I thought it would be fun if people familiar with the state could rank its cities. I am particularly curious about Erie, Scranton, and Harrisburg.
Back to the OP please^.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Back to the OP please^.
Why can't the conversation evolve? Why can't we move from one topic to another. I understand there's a basis, but why can't we move on from that into a deeper discussion about a more specific issue? Is not the point of a converation to evolve & develop on a different issue? I'm. Not being argumentative. I'm just being truthful. If you over-censor, you corrupt the conversation. There's a difference between vearing off topic & developing on a new issue. Just wait a minute to see what happens. We're not arguing, in fact we're agreeing & not agreeing on certain topics, which is the very basIs of every single conversation. I understand your job & position, but there's no need to over-use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania