Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 01:15 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times

Advertisements

It's a shame everyone within the "commonwealth" hates Philly outside of the Philly area. That's okay the rest of the world respects us though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 02:42 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
That happens a lot out in the midwest, where the cities annex surrounding areas. That should happen here as well. One of this area's problems is too many small governments that are little political fiefdoms that instead of working together, they compete against each other. Even if the towns don't become one municipality, there should be some shared services....police, fire, public works, etc, could all be consolidated on a county-wide basis, kind of like in Maryland and Virginia. Even the school districts down there are county-wide. But too many Barney Fifes and Boss Hoggs around here not willing to give up their power over their little kingdoms. The taxpayers could get a lot more for their money if there was more regional cooperation.

But yes, it would make sense if say, Kingston, Edwardsville, and Forty Fort were part of Wilkes-Barre, and Dunmore, Taylor, Throop, Dickson City were part of Scranton. But I don't see it ever happening. Actually at one point, some sections of Scranton were separate boroughs...Hyde Park (the majority of West Scranton), Providence (a good chunk of North Scranton), and Minooka (the far end of South Scranton bordering Moosic).
I tend to doubt that regional consolidations actually produce better schools but police and fire, etc makes sense. I think a lot of areas probably used to do this in reverse. when the boroughs were developed, the townships were probably relatively rural and in rural areas you often contract with a nearby municipality. as the townships developed, they developed duplicative services.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 PM

144 posts, read 223,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I tend to doubt that regional consolidations actually produce better schools but police and fire, etc makes sense. I think a lot of areas probably used to do this in reverse. when the boroughs were developed, the townships were probably relatively rural and in rural areas you often contract with a nearby municipality. as the townships developed, they developed duplicative services.
I think it's just a huge waste of money. They have to spend more on community services than the combined income of the community in some cases.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:08 PM

130 posts, read 251,833 times
1. Pittsburgh
2. State college
3. Philadelphia- yes third ! Crime is so out of control in Philly sports are below par. Downtown isn't particularly nice either and high cost of living .

Old 06-17-2012, 01:33 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post
3. Philadelphia- yes third ! Crime is so out of control in Philly sports are below par. Downtown isn't particularly nice either and high cost of living .
Are you kidding me? Center City Philly isn't nice? I agree on the high cost of living, but come on. Nothing in the whole state of PA is more handsome (Rittenhouse Square! Old City!) or vibrant (Hell, they have a Burberry shop downtown) than Center City Philly. In Pittsburgh, we have gold teeth and wig shops downtown. Even Saks pulled out. Oh, we have some high-priced condos and Macy's. That's about it.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:01 AM

130 posts, read 251,833 times
The architecture in Pittsburgh is nicer than Philly. Yeah phillys downtown is even overrun by riff raff. You might have a nice area that two blocks down the road is overrun by thugs. Cost of living in Philly outrageous you need 400k to get into a decent suburb!

Old 06-17-2012, 08:13 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post
1. Pittsburgh
2. State college
3. Philadelphia- yes third ! Downtown isn't particularly nice either and high cost of living .
Whoaahhh. What?

You could combine the best parts of downtown Pitt,State College,Harrisburg,Bethlehem etc and it would still pale in comparison to Center City/University City Philadelphia.

http://www.10rittenhousesq.com/img/g...livingroom.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/108/3...98e4049d_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5285/5...54706fe7_s.jpg

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/5668/dscn1620gj3.jpg

Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 AM

I agree there is crime in Philly not gonna deny that but most of it is contained to North Philly and West Philly.

If you think Pittsburgh has better architecture than Philly than there is something wrong with you. I can understand why you wouldn't like Philly... not everyone likes the same things.

BTW Philly has sub-par sports teams? Really?
One of the best hockey teams (didn't the Flyers beat the Penguins?? Oh yeah!), one of the best basketball teams (number eight seed knocking out the No. 1 seed Bulls then falling to the number 4 seed Celtics), one of the best baseball teams (winning the World Series in 2008 and then returning to the post season every year since then). The only reason the Phillies aren't doing too hot this year is because EVERYONE is hurt and EVERYONE is getting old. The Phillies will probably suck for the next couple of years but get out of here. But that means you ignore all past accomplishments from these teams? Subpar teams? HAHA. The only team that sucks is the Eagles. They have pretty much always sucked except for a few decent years. The Eagles should be good this year though.

Subpar? HA!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-17-2012 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Removed rude comment

Old 06-17-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Are you kidding me? Center City Philly isn't nice? I agree on the high cost of living, but come on. Nothing in the whole state of PA is more handsome (Rittenhouse Square! Old City!) or vibrant (Hell, they have a Burberry shop downtown) than Center City Philly. In Pittsburgh, we have gold teeth and wig shops downtown. Even Saks pulled out. Oh, we have some high-priced condos and Macy's. That's about it.
Philly has Burberry, Apple, Juicy Couture, Swarovski, Tiffany Co., Coach, Michael Kors, Cole Haan, and the list goes on and on. We also have I believe the 3rd largest Macy's in the country who is looking to expand. Not only is there high end shopping in Center City but there is high end shopping in University City in West Philadelphia, high end shopping on Main Street Manayunk and Germantown Avenue in Chestnut Hill in Northwest Philadelphia. Plus high end shopping will be coming to Templetown (Temple University Area) in North Philadelphia with the completion of the new 26 floor residence hall and retail complex in 2013. Some stores moving in will be Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie... both of which already have stores in Center City (P.S. Urban Outfitters is based in Philly and have their main offices in the Navy Yard). Let's not forget all of the shopping throughout the metro in King Prussia (King of Prussia mall is the largest mall in the U.S. retail square footage wise), and the rest of the main line, Willow Grove, Cherry Hill, Oxford Valley, Newtown and once again the list goes on.

List of best Shopping cities in the U.S.... I'll spare you the trouble of looking through... Philly is ranked #6
Best shopping cities in the U.S. - chicagotribune.com

Once again... Philadelphia is ranked 5th
America's Favorite Cities 2011 - Shopping | Travel + Leisure

I love Pittsburgh but it's hard to claim you're better than Philly when you can't even keep retailers downtown or in the metro for that matter.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:33 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
It's a shame everyone within the "commonwealth" hates Philly outside of the Philly area. That's okay the rest of the world respects us though
I love Philadelphia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania