Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,840,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post
My biggest issues with Philly are living within the city to me is a no go crime is high and it's expensive. There is more going on than Pittsburgh but some prefer the Burgh.
I'd say its mostly crime as pay is also higher in philly. The much needed real estate bust has brought prices down. I think most reasonable people would recognize there's room for individual preference. No place is perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 07:55 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,229,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Really, you shouldn't be throwing stones yourself when it comes to Grammar my friend.
Give it up already Blackbeauty. Your battle is with the ST Louis's,Clevelands of the world.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:36 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,342,996 times
I really cannot believe it is this difficult for grown adults to acknowledge that both cities are great in their own right. They both offer different things and make PA a great state.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,863,052 times
Philly is the best city in Eastern PA and Pittsburgh is the best city in Western PA

Old 08-06-2012, 03:09 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,905,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Give it up already Blackbeauty. Your battle is with the ST Louis's,Clevelands of the world.
There is no battle.....except for the ones you clueless Philly homers keep trying to conjurer up.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:18 PM

429 posts, read 654,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I really cannot believe it is this difficult for grown adults to acknowledge that both cities are great in their own right. They both offer different things and make PA a great state.
Sadly there are adults out there that have this "My city is better than your city" attitude even past the age of 25, and they can't respectfully travel to another city or town and appreciate it for what it is worth.

Size issue. Who cares? With larger cities there is more negatives that come with the positives. I like mid-sized cities the best like the "St. Louis and Clevelands of the world"

Old 08-06-2012, 03:21 PM

429 posts, read 654,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You are a very fine photographer indeed. You could sell your pictures! You are a professional! That one of the fog in the valley definitely takes talent and patience.

Last edited by SPSGuy; 08-06-2012 at 03:33 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,046,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Philly is the best city in Eastern PA and Pittsburgh is the best city in Western PA
Instead, I would say Philly is the best large city in eastern PA, and Pittsburgh is the best large city in western PA. I personally like some of the smaller cities better than Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. Right now, I'm in love with York. There are so many fabulous cities in Pennsylvania. It all comes down to preference -- do you prefer a big city (Philly), small city (Harrisburg, Greensburg, Bethlehem), or medium-sized city (Pittsburgh)? Do you want to live in a suburb (Mt. Lebanon) or the city center (Rittenhouse Square)? Do you like detached housing (Erie) or row-houses (Reading)? Do you like hilly cities (Johnstown) or flat cities (Lancaster)? Do you like cities with beaches (Erie), or on rivers (Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, etc.)?

Old 08-06-2012, 07:08 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,863,052 times
Yes good points Angel and I currently live in Erie, but since I enjoy some of the amenities a bigger city has to offer, I often find myself driving to Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Buffalo. There are trade offs everywhere and one of the best things about living in a smaller to medium size city is the minimal amount of traffic. Having lived in much larger cities before, I will never miss the rush hour traffic. Even when I took the bus or train, it always seemed to take so long to go such a short distance.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:21 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,046,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
There are trade offs everywhere and one of the best things about living in a smaller to medium size city is the minimal amount of traffic. Having lived in much larger cities before, I will never miss the rush hour traffic. Even when I took the bus or train, it always seemed to take so long to go such a short distance.
I definitely agree! One of the main things I dislike about Pittsburgh is the big city traffic. I am scared to drive in this city. Between the steep hills, icy roads in the winter, and general congestion, driving can be a nightmare in Pittsburgh. Maybe my small town roots are showing. I grew up in a small, flat town. Maybe four years in a big city is enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania