Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 09:31 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,904,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
THEY DONT COMPARE... Philadelphia is on a whole different level...
Yea, so are LA and SF..... But they're still treated as equals on state level....Same thing goes for Philly and Pittsburgh in the eyes of PA, all that matters..Philadelphia gets NO special treatment over Pittsburgh...NONE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,830,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Yea, so are LA and SF..... But they're still treated as equals on state level....Same thing goes for Philly and Pittsburgh in the eyes of PA, all that matters..Philadelphia gets NO special treatment over Pittsburgh...NONE!
Actually, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are not equals in terms of Pennsylvania municipal law. Philadelphia is the commonwealth's only "First Class City" and Pittsburgh is the only "Second Class City" (Scranton is Class 2A). These designations allow Pennsylvania to craft municipal legislation specifically for Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:12 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,904,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Actually, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are not equals in terms of Pennsylvania municipal law. Philadelphia is the commonwealth's only "First Class City" and Pittsburgh is the only "Second Class City" (Scranton is Class 2A). These designations allow Pennsylvania to craft municipal legislation specifically for Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.
But in terms of Pennsylvania governance Pittsburgh does not take backseat to Philadelphia.....

Philly homers think there's some type of NYC-Buffalo dynamic with Philly-Pitt in state's attention ....and there's nothing to indicate that Philadelphia gets more attention from the state than Pittsburgh...Both cities get the pretty much the same attention and have the same amount of hatred towards them from "T" of PA...

I've always said that I was shocked when Rendell was Governor he didn't favor more things Philadelphia over Pittsburgh, but he pretty much treated both cities the same. He even went as far to claim during his 2nd campaign for Gov that more state dollars went into Allegheny County projects under his Admin than Philadelphia County.

Right now I will go as far as to argue, in this moment Pittsburgh is getting more attention from Harrisburg because Marcellus Shales and everything that revolves around it.

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have the same dynamic that LA and SF have with California, Houston and Dallas have with Texas, etc....

Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,059,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
But in terms of Pennsylvania governance Pittsburgh does not take backseat to Philadelphia.....

Philly homers think there's some type of NYC-Buffalo dynamic with Philly-Pitt in state's attention ....and there's nothing to indicate that Philadelphia gets more attention from the state than Pittsburgh...Both cities get the pretty much the same attention and have the same amount of hatred towards them from "T" of PA...

I've always said that I was shocked when Rendell was Governor he didn't favor more things Philadelphia over Pittsburgh, but he pretty much treated both cities the same. He even went as far to claim during his 2nd campaign for Gov that more state dollars went into Allegheny County projects under his Admin than Philadelphia County.
Isn't this mostly because so many heavies in the State Legislature (Turzai, Costa, Frankel, Kasunic, Robbins, Fontana, etc) happen to be from Southwestern Pennsylvania?

Old 08-22-2012, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,883 times
Default Philly

Just because Philly is the biggest city in PA, doesn't mean that it's the best. We get it, it's bigger than Pittsburgh.

A larger population doesn't make up for the crime and overall miserableness of the city. A lot of the people from the area are trashy and rude.

Those of you from Philly I assume you know that people don't exactly think well of people from the city. In fact, most people think all Philadelphians are monsters. Obviously I know not all the people are horrible. However, maybe people think this due to the fact that Philadelphia sports fans are the worst people in the country. They "boo" crippled people and Santa Clause. They even fight each other in the stands. They cheer on career ending injuries to opposing team players.

It doesn't exactly give off the best image for the city.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
No. Philly demolishes Pittsburgh in just about every criticalcategory imaginable, none of it contingent on its east coast proximity.

2 different classes of city here gang.

Pittsburgh is a nice second or third tier US city. Philadelphia is firmly entrenched as one of the first tier cities. Pennsylvania is fortunate to have it as its. own
You seem a little bit too into this pal.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:27 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,837,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissechler View Post
Just because Philly is the biggest city in PA, doesn't mean that it's the best. We get it, it's bigger than Pittsburgh.

A larger population doesn't make up for the crime and overall miserableness of the city. A lot of the people from the area are trashy and rude.

Those of you from Philly I assume you know that people don't exactly think well of people from the city. In fact, most people think all Philadelphians are monsters. Obviously I know not all the people are horrible. However, maybe people think this due to the fact that Philadelphia sports fans are the worst people in the country. They "boo" crippled people and Santa Clause. They even fight each other in the stands. They cheer on career ending injuries to opposing team players.

It doesn't exactly give off the best image for the city.
okay, I tried not to join in the overall trolling going on here but Philly people boo crippled people and santa claus? they booed A shoddily dressed santa claus back in the 60's as the eagles put up a stinker. I hadn't realized that Philadelphians boo handicapped people when they seem them, I'm glad you cleared that up. the overall miserableness? the reality is you are simply parroting a bunch of nonsense from the media. there are rarely fights in the stands these days (the vet is long gone) and if there were, it would hardly make it unique to Philadelphia.

Redskins Vs. Vikings FAN fight - YouTube
2 Dodger Fans Beat, Critically Injure Giants Fan « CBS Los Angeles
Watch S.F. Giants fans fight it out Video | Break.com
New York Jets-Giants Fan Fight Video 2011: Giants Fan Knocked Out | NowPublic News Coverage
Shootings at Football Game Between Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers Leave Three Hospitalized - ABC News

then there's players themselves
Saints Coach Suspended, Team Fined Half-A-Mill For Head Hunting Program | The Urban Daily

Philadelphia makes a convenient scapegoat but the reality is fans, and football fans in particular, are problematic at best. tailgating is a huge problem since fans are loaded way before the game even starts. you are correct that size isn't everything, being bigger doesn't make one better.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
okay, I tried not to join in the overall trolling going on here but Philly people boo crippled people and santa claus? they booed A shoddily dressed santa claus back in the 60's as the eagles put up a stinker. I hadn't realized that Philadelphians boo handicapped people when they seem them, I'm glad you cleared that up. the overall miserableness? the reality is you are simply parroting a bunch of nonsense from the media. there are rarely fights in the stands these days (the vet is long gone) and if there were, it would hardly make it unique to Philadelphia.

Redskins Vs. Vikings FAN fight - YouTube
2 Dodger Fans Beat, Critically Injure Giants Fan « CBS Los Angeles
Watch S.F. Giants fans fight it out Video | Break.com
New York Jets-Giants Fan Fight Video 2011: Giants Fan Knocked Out | NowPublic News Coverage
Shootings at Football Game Between Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers Leave Three Hospitalized - ABC News

then there's players themselves
Saints Coach Suspended, Team Fined Half-A-Mill For Head Hunting Program | The Urban Daily

Philadelphia makes a convenient scapegoat but the reality is fans, and football fans in particular, are problematic at best. tailgating is a huge problem since fans are loaded way before the game even starts. you are correct that size isn't everything, being bigger doesn't make one better.
14 Reasons Why Philadelphia Has The Worst Fans In Sports «
Woeful Nats: Philly Fans Boo Special Needs Guy

Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 PM

130 posts, read 252,123 times
People in Philly all tend to think they're thugs lots of wanna bees there. It's rather dirty, cost of living is high you can't get anything nice in the burbs under 300k. I will take Pittsburgh any day.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,837,460 times
ok, so you want me to take you seriously, yet you post a link to coed magazine, and the number one reason is a joke

Quote:
1. They Boo Own Team's Championship Celebrations Phillies fans booed pitcher Adam Eaton at the World Series ring ceremony then brawled on Ashburn Alley.
Adam Eaton was an overpaid flop who didn't pitch for the phillies during their championship run but showed up the collect a ring he had nothing to do with. That a) doesn't mean they boo championship celebrations and b) means they were right. next time think for yourself, don't let a rag do your thinking for you. your apology is accepted.
extreme alcohol consumption is a big problem in sports and unless you're a moron, you know it isn't limited to Philly.
Quote:
An argument over college football between fans of Big 12 rival teams resulted in a knife fight at an Applebee's restaurant that sent two men to the hospital, according to San Antonio TV station KENS.

Per the report, the argument escalated when a 29-year-old Oklahoma Sooners fan pulled a knife out and attacked a 22-year-old Texas Longhorns fan.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_916919.html

Last edited by pman; 08-23-2012 at 10:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania