Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 06:33 PM

87 posts, read 364,555 times

Advertisements

I'm living in NYC, and I'm from Minneapolis.

I can't afford NYC anymore and it's too noisy, dirty and treeless for me.
But I don't want to go back to Minneapolis.

I liked Philly, but I'm wondering if there are any other cities in the state that are green, have arts, are liberal and might have opportunities for an ad writer who is making a career transition to the healing arts?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 08:48 PM

463 posts, read 1,564,621 times
New Hope fits every qualification except "cheap"--its quite expensive.

Pennsylvania on the whole is a fairly conservative state, though its tended Democratic for the last few years. I honestly don't know of any other artsy places here, but I'm sure they exist.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:50 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Practically any place in PA is going to seem cheap compared to NYC, but the more "liberal, artsy" enclaves still tend to have a premium.

New Hope is a good suggestion.

West Chester (college town) and Media also fit the bill. Both are very vibrant, older suburbs with pretty liberal vibes adjacent to Philadelphia.

Good luck!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:52 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
State College, Garden City section of Wallingford, Lansdowne

Old 09-07-2008, 06:41 AM

28 posts, read 125,923 times
I'm working as a copywriter, and have recently relocated to Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh. Cheap? I paid $2100 a month for an apt. in Queens, and now pay $525 for an objectively better location in SqHill. There's plenty of work to be had, and I have two friends in the area who are earning a nice living in therapeutic massage and "energy work."

The area is surrounded by large parks, and you can pick and choose your street to be more or less tree-lined.

The neighborhood is part of the Pittsburgh, but is self-contained enough that it feels plenty charming to this big-city expat.

It seems very liberal here, to boot. And more than artsy enough to satisfy -- a couple galleries, some international craftsy type stores, loads of coffee shops, and a short hike to the big museums.

The only "downside" I can see is the cost, relative to other Pittsburgh neighborhoods. But if you're coming from outside the system, you can see what an amazing bargain it still is.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:48 AM

28 posts, read 125,923 times
And FWIW, I'd also consider the Bellefonte/St. College area. Bellefonte to live, St. College to provide grist for the ad writing mill. It's even cheaper than Pittsburgh, and certainly more "charming" in the traditional sense.

The low cost of living should make up for any decrease in the amount of work available, but if you can augment your income by working online, it's very easy to work part time and still live a mid-upper class lifestyle. St. College is, of course, uber-wired, so you can work from anywhere, which is a nice perk.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:28 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Add Phoenixville + Doylestown to the excellent suburban Philly suggestions already made.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:38 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanA View Post
And FWIW, I'd also consider the Bellefonte/St. College area. Bellefonte to live, St. College to provide grist for the ad writing mill. It's even cheaper than Pittsburgh, and certainly more "charming" in the traditional sense.
Bellefonte is definitely charming, but it strikes me as fairly conservative. State College might fit the bill a little better for the OP politically.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:22 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
State College is indeed a liberal haven. Have you all forgotten the amazing throngs of thousands upon thousands who showed up to see Sen. Barack Obama speak at PSU?

Old 09-07-2008, 11:47 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
That's exactly what I said. State College is liberal. Bellefonte is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania