Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:40 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,903,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgsh View Post
philly is a global city, pittsburgh is not (sorry for spelling pittsburgh wrong earlier)
philadelphia isnt the nyc of PA it is the philadelphia of PA. but looking back at my post i did kinda word that wrong. what i was trying to say is that the way that people compare pittsburgh to philly is kinda like the way people compare philly to nyc. they are not fair comparisons. Im not saying pittsburgh is unimportant, its just not the #1 city in PA. This is not a diss on pittsburgh at all. Pittsburgh looks like a very nice city, and like i said, its ok to like pittsburgh better than philly, just like i like philly better than nyc, la, and chicago, but those 3 rank higher than philly. (trying not to turn this into a rank the US's cities but its the only comparison i can think of)

So i completely understand if you like pittsburgh better than philly, but this has nothing to do with Fatness, Uglyness, Miserable-ness, please dont call philly a dumpster because it is where i am from and all my family and most of my friends are from philly as well. Dont say everything outside of center city is a giant ghetto because that is very untrue. Im from a nieghborhood that is not in center city, which happens to be a nice, safe neighborhood.

and kooble i dont know what Fortune 500 Corporation Headquarters is so i cant answer that question sorry. That's very cool to know about pittsburghs role in WW2 i didnt know that. And your right i dont know the history of pittsburghs role in the creation of the country. i know about NYC's philly's and boston's because thats what i was taught in school. What was pittsburghs role in creating the country? i never learned about pittsburgh in school. (this is a serious question im actually interested in knowing)

also many of phillys problems it has now is because the previous mayor (Street) was a horrible mayor and was borderline retarted. We have a new mayor now who is doing a much better job, and problems are being fixed slowly.

Pittsburgh is a very important city to PA, but Philly just ranks higher than it. again, this is not meant to be a diss on pittsburgh at all

but we've kinda went off-topic here, myself included. Were ranking all of PA's cities, not just the biggest 2. So here's my new list:

1. Philly- biggest in the state, 2nd biggest on the east coast, argueably the most historic city in the us
2. Pittsburgh- 2nd biggest in the state, has some history as well
3. Harrisburgh- capital of the state
4. Erie- near lake Erie
5. Hershey- chocolate, Hershey park
6. Lancaster- amish
7. Allentown- Dorney Park
8. Scranton- The office

EDIT: one thing i forgot to say: philly, pittsburgh, its all part of pennsylvania, why do we have to make the other look bad, and point out all the flaws in the other city. why cant we just be proud of our state?
Philadelphia is not a world city....Sorry it's not....It's too overshadowed by NYC...

NYC
Boston
DC
LA
Chicago
SF
maybe Atlanta and Miami

are considered the world cities of the US

And thanks for making my point about the Elitest Attitudes of the Philadelphia fanboys in this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 11:51 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,834,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Philadelphia is not a world city....Sorry it's not....It's too overshadowed by NYC...

NYC
Boston
DC
LA
Chicago
SF
maybe Atlanta and Miami

are considered the world cities of the US

And thanks for making my point about the Elitest Attitudes of the Philadelphia fanboys in this thread
atlanta? please, just another philly hater. I hardly think he proved your point, anymore than you're showing there's an inferiority complex.
edited to add data:
Quote:
Orlando, Fla.: 48 million visitors
New York City: 47 million visitors
Chicago, Ill.: 45,580,000 visitors
Anaheim/Orange County, Calif.: 42,700,000 visitors
Miami, Fla: 38,100,000 visitors
Las Vegas, Nev.: 36,351,469 visitors
Atlanta, Ga.: 35,400,000 visitors
Houston, Texas: 31,060,000 visitors
Philadelphia, Pa.: 30,320,000 visitors
San Diego, California: 29,600,000 visitors
just four years ago Philadelphia was not in the top ten, signifying it's emerging market status. foreign tourism has been a particular driver of this trend. it's sad that any time a Philadelphia is positive about their city, they are instantly branded "arrogant elitists."
http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/28/tou...as-cities.html

Last edited by pman; 06-23-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 12:03 PM

126 posts, read 304,723 times
Global cities in the us:
Alpha++ new york
Alpha+ none
Alpha Chicago
Alpha- LA
Beta+ DC, Atlanta, San Fran
Beta Dallas, Boston
Beta- Miami, Houston
Gamma+ Minneapolis, Seattle
Gamma Philadelphia, Portland
Gamma- Detroit, Columbus

^got that from wikipedia, but took out all the non-US cities. we are getting off topic again
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-23-2010, 12:06 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,953,078 times
Beyond Pitts and Philth...
1. Wilkes-Barre
2. Scranton
3. Harrisburg

Some very interesting smaller towns

1. Jim Thorpe
2. State College
3. Franklin....there are many like these around!

Old 06-23-2010, 12:09 PM

I'm not the one saying negative things about other cities i think pittsburgh seems like a very nice and safe city, certainly safer overall than philly. but just because it has some rough parts doesnt mean the whole city is ghetto and unsafe. your the one with the elitest attitude

Sorry for getting off-topic AGAIN but when someone is hating on my hometown, and telling me i have an elitest attitude when really i dont at all, i just have to stick up for myself.
Someone from West PA saying that all people from philly are condecending, and think they are superior is the same thing as people from east PA saying everyone out in west PA are toothless hicks
neither are true, they are just stereotypes
by making philly look bad you are making your own state look bad because philly is a big part of the state of PA

Last edited by omgsh; 06-23-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgsh View Post
Global cities in the us:
Alpha++ new york
Alpha+ none
Alpha Chicago
Alpha- LA
Beta+ DC, Atlanta, San Fran
Beta Dallas, Boston
Beta- Miami, Houston
Gamma+ Minneapolis, Seattle
Gamma Philadelphia, Portland
Gamma- Detroit, Columbus

^got that from wikipedia, but took out all the non-US cities. we are getting off topic again
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
anything less than Beta is hardly can be consider "World City"....and thanks for the list i can use it to rebut pman WILD AND CRAZY CLAIMS...it shows every city I listed is Ranked above Philadelphia even cities that Philadelphia is bigger than including Atlanta....

hmmmmmm Philadelphia is only a notch above Detroit and Columbus that not saying much!

Old 06-23-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
atlanta? please, just another philly hater. I hardly think he proved your point, anymore than you're showing there's an inferiority complex.
edited to add data:
This coming from a constant Pittsburgh basher anytime its Philly vs Pittsburgh...I mean you consistantly slam Pittsburgh with out any prospective......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
just four years ago Philadelphia was not in the top ten, signifying it's emerging market status. foreign tourism has been a particular driver of this trend. it's sad that any time a Philadelphia is positive about their city, they are instantly branded "arrogant elitists."
America's Most-Visited Cities - Forbes.com
Tourism does not make you a "WORLD CITY" please stop trying to blow smoke....

omgsh even posted where Philly stand amungst "World Cities" and its Not something to write home about.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:02 PM

436 posts, read 955,070 times
1. Philly
2. $hittsburg(h)
3. Bethlehem
4. Scranton
5. Harrisburg

Old 06-23-2010, 04:27 PM

philly is a gamma world city, but still a world city

Old 06-23-2010, 05:53 PM

419 posts, read 448,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
1. Philly
2. $hittsburg(h)
3. Bethlehem
4. Scranton
5. Harrisburg
Wow, You're soooo cool.

Anyways, I love Hollidaysburg!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania