Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 01:49 PM

124 posts, read 372,576 times

Advertisements

I wonder if fob thinks that if he waits to file that he'll not be charged from birth. That he'll only start paying from the day he files.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 03:20 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,787,955 times
She doesn't need to file now. He has no paycheck to garnish, yet. If he keeps bringing what the baby needs, when she needs it, she has no reason to do anything yet. But I suspect that he is not going to be cooperative about bringing supplies. And at the same time, he will probably stop coming to see the baby.

Truly incredible, to think where they were 9 months ago - planning on doing this together, all on their own.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
She doesn't need to file now. He has no paycheck to garnish, yet. If he keeps bringing what the baby needs, when she needs it, she has no reason to do anything yet. But I suspect that he is not going to be cooperative about bringing supplies. And at the same time, he will probably stop coming to see the baby.

Truly incredible, to think where they were 9 months ago - planning on doing this together, all on their own.
Maybe I wasn't clear, I meant that if by the time a baby was a certain age, (like say 4-5 months, by which time fob SHOULD have a paycheck to garnish.) Then Jersey's daughter should file on her own instead of waiting for him to do it.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:42 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwriting View Post
I wonder if fob thinks that if he waits to file that he'll not be charged from birth. That he'll only start paying from the day he files.

When i filed, the end result was paying back support only to the day the mom filed her response to my petition and asked for child support. They didn't go back to birth, or my initial filing date for the DNA test.

Unsure if that's typical, but that made a difference of about $4K in arrears in my case.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
When i filed, the end result was paying back support only to the day the mom filed her response to my petition and asked for child support. They didn't go back to birth, or my initial filing date for the DNA test.

Unsure if that's typical, but that made a difference of about $4K in arrears in my case.
Really? in the child support cases I've had friends/family involved in, unless the parents were married and divorced, the fob had to pay back support to birth. Maybe it depends on the state.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:52 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwriting View Post
Really? in the child support cases I've had friends/family involved in, unless the parents were married and divorced, the fob had to pay back support to birth. Maybe it depends on the state.

I think it depends on the case too. Mine was far from typical. I even had court personell tell me it was a very unique case. Who wants to hear that?

Old 06-04-2014, 04:09 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How?

That's not realistic.

Their age is irrelevant. They had a child. It's time to do adult things like go to court.

Her fear is all the more reason to learn the ropes now. She has 18 years of court ahead of her.
Not necessarily. I've seen many people work this out without the courts.

If it can be done this way, it should be.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:00 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,820,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Not necessarily. I've seen many people work this out without the courts.

If it can be done this way, it should be.
Um, no. Court orders would be their best friend. You just don't know what a person can be like/do in the future.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Um, no. Court orders would be their best friend. You just don't know what a person can be like/do in the future.
You're right. No one knows. Right now, this is how she wants to do it. I don't blame her.

It is nice and neat when done through the courts sometimes but others it can get downright nasty.

Right now they want to handle this on their own. They are communicating well. I'm sure if it changes, she will rethink it.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:38 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,787,955 times
Support is backdated to the date of filing, not the date of birth. As there's nothing to get right now, since he doesn't work, there is no reason to file. And no court involvement, nothing to keep your daughter from moving with the baby if/when the family moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting