Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:49 AM

218 posts, read 562,863 times

Advertisements

I haven't been online in a while so IDK if anyone else has talked about this but I was just wondering what other people thought of this show. I'm almost 21 and I actually like this show. In my former high school, there were at least 10 pregnant girls a year and I know you probably think that, that's a small number, but I went to a very small school so for me that was a lot.

Then after 16 & Pregnant aired I went up to my high school to visit with an old teacher and I sarcastically asked how many girls where pregnant this year? And to my surprise she told me that there were only 3 or 4 pregnant girls that year and since the show has aired I've noticed less and less girls pregnant in my small town. I'm not saying MTV is completely responsible for this but I think that it has had some kind of impacted.

Experts say that teen girls will get pregnant on purpose just to get on the show, but I honestly cannot see someone doing that. Even a teen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 05:02 AM

247 posts, read 498,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megafoxy View Post
I haven't been online in a while so IDK if anyone else has talked about this but I was just wondering what other people thought of this show. I'm almost 21 and I actually like this show. In my former high school, there were at least 10 pregnant girls a year and I know you probably think that, that's a small number, but I went to a very small school so for me that was a lot.

Then after 16 & Pregnant aired I went up to my high school to visit with an old teacher and I sarcastically asked how many girls where pregnant this year? And to my surprise she told me that there were only 3 or 4 pregnant girls that year and since the show has aired I've noticed less and less girls pregnant in my small town. I'm not saying MTV is completely responsible for this but I think that it has had some kind of impacted.

Experts say that teen girls will get pregnant on purpose just to get on the show, but I honestly cannot see someone doing that. Even a teen.
well its good that it had that kind of an impact on your school, but it didnt on my area. more girls are pregnant than ever...like you said, not sure if thats something MTV caused, either way though its ridiculous! im almost 19 years old & its ridiculous that i cant relate to my friends that ive known since elementary school because they ALL have children now. children are a blessing no matter what, but it kinda makes me sad.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkayx333 View Post
well its good that it had that kind of an impact on your school, but it didn't on my area. more girls are pregnant than ever...like you said, not sure if that's something MTV caused, either way though its ridiculous! im almost 19 years old & its ridiculous that i cant relate to my friends that Ive known since elementary school because they ALL have children now. children are a blessing no matter what, but it kinda makes me sad.
I'm sorry it had the opposite affect on your area. I had a baby at 18 and most of my friends had children at the ages of 19 and 20. I only have one friend that doesn't have kids yet, but she embraces all of our children as her god-daughters and sons. We still have things in common to this day. Try talking to your friends and be supportive of them don't shut them out because they have kids now.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:32 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
It was in the news recently that the show has actually had a negative impact on the teen pregnancy rate in the United States. Sure, there are a few teens who will purposely try to get pregnant, just to have a chance to get on the show - but that's a very small number. The majority of teens who watch the show get the message that teen pregnancy is preventable.

Here's an article from earlier this month, by Lauren Dolgen, the creator of 16 And Pregnant, and Teen Mom.

Quote:
research by the National Campaign found that among teens who watch "16 and Pregnant," 82 percent believe the show helps teens better understand the challenges of teen pregnancy and parenthood and how to avoid it.
Why I created MTV's '16 and Pregnant' - CNN.com

And a press release from the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, with the results of the study, cited by Lauren Dolgen in her article.

http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/p...nt_Release.pdf

Old 05-23-2011, 05:34 AM

247 posts, read 498,488 times
Quote:
I'm sorry it had the opposite affect on your area. I had a baby at 18 and most of my friends had children at the ages of 19 and 20. I only have one friend that doesn't have kids yet, but she embraces all of our children as her god-daughters and sons. We still have things in common to this day. Try talking to your friends and be supportive of them don't shut them out because they have kids now.
its more of them shutting me out....my best friend of 4 years is expecting in july & everything was fine up until a couple months ago. she started not returning text messages/phone calls. when she rarely did, she always apologized that she never gets to talk to me but it was hard to believe when id look at her facebook, seeing shed talked to multiple other people on a regular basis. i called her & told her that i had gotten her a mattress for the crib as well as boppy, and asked if she needed anything else. she seemed receptive & grateful for it. well its been a couple months since that & guess who DIDNT get invited to the baby shower? me. it hurt my feelings. i cried & prayed about it and ive decided that the best thing to do right now is to pray for her and be there if she ever does come back around.....i guess i wont be able to give her those gifts after all

Old 05-23-2011, 07:23 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Megafoxy, would you mind telling us why you got pregnant at such a young age? I understand having sex, personally I have no issue with that, but what made you go ahead and have a baby?

It would help the parents on this board a great deal, I think, if you wouldn't mind giving us some insight into this.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Megafoxy, would you mind telling us why you got pregnant at such a young age? I understand having sex, personally I have no issue with that, but what made you go ahead and have a baby?

It would help the parents on this board a great deal, I think, if you wouldn't mind giving us some insight into this.
I had my baby because well... I wanted her. Plus I have a very supportive mom. When I found out I was pregnant I had already graduated from high school so I didn't have to worry about that. I'm Native American so my tribe pays my medical expenses and that's also not a worry either. I don't know, I really can't explain why I choose to keep her. I guess when it comes down to it, it's just how I was raised. I'm pro-life also, if that also helps.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
It is about how you were raised, and the expectations of your family. My DD is 18, she has been told since she could talk that she could have a child when she graduated from college, had a job, lived on her own...after all, if you can't support yourself, how can you support a child? That is our family "values"...sounds cold? No...just realistic. She can't live with me, or her Father, and have a baby, we would not have the money to support her and a child. We don't have the resources. No extended family, we can't do it.

We watched the MTV show together...and she could not believe how much the parents were helping out the kids...I called it, "enabling" ...buying them cars, they lived this life of fantasy, without reality. I would not have the money to buy my daughter a car, I can barely afford one for myself.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
its more of them shutting me out....my best friend of 4 years is expecting in july & everything was fine up until a couple months ago. she started not returning text messages/phone calls. when she rarely did, she always apologized that she never gets to talk to me but it was hard to believe when id look at her facebook, seeing shed talked to multiple other people on a regular basis. i called her & told her that i had gotten her a mattress for the crib as well as boppy, and asked if she needed anything else. she seemed receptive & grateful for it. well its been a couple months since that & guess who DIDNT get invited to the baby shower? me. it hurt my feelings. i cried & prayed about it and ive decided that the best thing to do right now is to pray for her and be there if she ever does come back around.....i guess i wont be able to give her those gifts after all
Wow, I can't believe she didn't invite you to her baby shower. I'm sorry about that. Maybe she's just busy getting ready for the baby. Give her the gifts anyways, show her you'll be there no matter what. Don't worry she'll come back.

I didn't talk to my friends because I was in and out of the hospital and after a while I figured they didn't need me anymore.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:05 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Why didn't you take those gifts to her? You know, people SAY they have baby things for you all the time. After awhile, you get to the point where you have to see it to believe it. Perhaps someone else offered her an actual crib w/mattress for her baby. A crib mattress isn't much good without a crib to put it in. As for not being invited to her baby shower, perhaps she was only able to have a certain number of guests and she chose the "most supportive" people to share that time with her.

I don't mean to say that you're not supportive at all....but being pregnant is an emotional time. Some people simply refuse to associate with people who are not 100% there for them. It's a horrible time to be feeling people's disapproval or be made to feel like you're letting someone "down" because you got pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting