Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 06:05 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,997,313 times

Advertisements

Sorry gramitez, hope you feel better soon. I get the sinus headaches, my trip out to the store only made it worse today. Nothing really works well either. Suppose to be 86 tomorrow, way too hot for this soon. I dont like the heat at all.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 6 days ago)

8,823 posts, read 21,305,687 times
It just seems to never stop raining here. It is has been so chilly and damp and this is supposed to be CALIFORNIA!!!!!

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-30-2012, 09:52 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,920,491 times
Unhappy Arts & Crafts Event

I don’t normally do this but today it was something that had to be done, or so I felt. While my wife and I went to a big arts & crafts fair in Tempe today and enjoyed ourselves. That is until we came to one section of a block that while we were inside the booth (or tent type structure) of one artist looking at the items he crafted. While being there I noticed some “strong” odor of exhaust fumes coming from a small gas generator that was running on a local tv network camera truck. One of those that have a big telescopic antenna to communicate back to the station in town. While the generator was running the exhaust fumes started filling up the air space inside the booths nearby along with the noise of the motor running.

Both my wife and I started getting sick from the carbon dioxide exhaust and had to move outside the open tent to get fresh air, however it was still limited in that area. I couldn’t believe how bad this was getting, so I walked over to the TV remote broadcast van and talked with the technician who was starting to adjust come controls on a panel on the other side of the van.

I told him that there was a problem and described the issue, but he told me that the security person about a block away told him to park here and that the event coordinator wanted the van located just where he parked it. I asked him if “they” knew that he was going to be “running” a generator with a gasoline engine and carbon dioxide exhaust fumes being pushed into the area of artist, venders, and visitors. He said that he couldn’t move the van to where I suggested; it was about 150~200 feet around the corner onto a side street which would not have any effect on the people in the area.

End result, the van didn’t get moved. (However the artists were happy that I made an issue and talked with the technician). I ended up talking with the cities EMT crew that was working the area; they said they would stop by the location and check it out however they first needed to take a call that came in. I returned home and called the local tv station for the van and told them of the issue. That got a little heated when they said this happens all the time and no one has a problem with it. Maybe they don’t know about the issue, but they “should” damn well know that the exhaust fumes are harmful to others in a closed or close area. After I was finished with talking to them, I called the event coordinator and left a voice mail message on the answering service about the problem.

I dislike having to be assertive and push a little about an issue that shouldn’t even be an issue if the technician even “thought” about others. Weather at this event or somewhere else he should consider the people and the area.

I have to remember to be the change that you wish to see in the world. Make it a positive one and be polite, things will change. Positive criticism can always be used and accepted. Don't just get mad and angry about it.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:33 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,257,882 times
Since it can kill people that certainly is a serious issue! The technician should have been concerned and security should have taken care of it pronto. Maybe your message to the event coordinator will keep it from happening again. Each of the artists with tents in the area should make huge complaints. They paid for their spots and lost sales because of the deadly fumes.

You're right. Positive criticism goes further and in this case, a promise to give those media people attention from other media people who arrive without deadly fumes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I don’t normally do this but today it was something that had to be done, or so I felt. While my wife and I went to a big arts & crafts fair in Tempe today and enjoyed ourselves. That is until we came to one section of a block that while we were inside the booth (or tent type structure) of one artist looking at the items he crafted. While being there I noticed some “strong” odor of exhaust fumes coming from a small gas generator that was running on a local tv network camera truck. One of those that have a big telescopic antenna to communicate back to the station in town. While the generator was running the exhaust fumes started filling up the air space inside the booths nearby along with the noise of the motor running.

Both my wife and I started getting sick from the carbon dioxide exhaust and had to move outside the open tent to get fresh air, however it was still limited in that area. I couldn’t believe how bad this was getting, so I walked over to the TV remote broadcast van and talked with the technician who was starting to adjust come controls on a panel on the other side of the van.

I told him that there was a problem and described the issue, but he told me that the security person about a block away told him to park here and that the event coordinator wanted the van located just where he parked it. I asked him if “they” knew that he was going to be “running” a generator with a gasoline engine and carbon dioxide exhaust fumes being pushed into the area of artist, venders, and visitors. He said that he couldn’t move the van to where I suggested; it was about 150~200 feet around the corner onto a side street which would not have any effect on the people in the area.

End result, the van didn’t get moved. (However the artists were happy that I made an issue and talked with the technician). I ended up talking with the cities EMT crew that was working the area; they said they would stop by the location and check it out however they first needed to take a call that came in. I returned home and called the local tv station for the van and told them of the issue. That got a little heated when they said this happens all the time and no one has a problem with it. Maybe they don’t know about the issue, but they “should” damn well know that the exhaust fumes are harmful to others in a closed or close area. After I was finished with talking to them, I called the event coordinator and left a voice mail message on the answering service about the problem.

I dislike having to be assertive and push a little about an issue that shouldn’t even be an issue if the technician even “thought” about others. Weather at this event or somewhere else he should consider the people and the area.

I have to remember to be the change that you wish to see in the world. Make it a positive one and be polite, things will change. Positive criticism can always be used and accepted. Don't just get mad and angry about it.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:16 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,283,117 times
Wow, Aks...how stupid can some people be??? "Oh, what I'm doing may hurt or kill someone?? Gee...too bad I was told to do it.....sorry, can't help you." Oy vay..... idiocy at its worst.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:37 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,920,491 times
^^ I could never understand why people think that just because an issue has never been brought up to them before that it's ok "now" to do it. Most people don't comment on an issue that could be affecting their health until it's too late. I don't like excuses for being stupid.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:56 AM

52,350 posts, read 52,821,277 times
Warning!!!! Cranky post coming.....

I'm really really sick of seeing "Urban" style of clothing.

Guys wearing the ball caps backwards, skinny jeans sagging so low they can't even hardly walk.

This dumb ass kid was walking across the street and he was literally waddling, using one hand to hold up his pants. He looked like he was limping.

Pull your f ing pants up and speak english..... or least some recognizable language.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:00 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,046,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Warning!!!! Cranky post coming.....

I'm really really sick of seeing "Urban" style of clothing.

Guys wearing the ball caps backwards, skinny jeans sagging so low they can't even hardly walk.

This dumb ass kid was walking across the street and he was literally waddling, using one hand to hold up his pants. He looked like he was limping.

Pull your f ing pants up and speak english..... or least some recognizable language.

Yeah ... This is a peeve of mine. I wonder how many of these "urban" clothing wearers realize that the whole trend of not wearing a belt and having pants sag originated in the prisons No kid of mine will be caught wearing clothing that represents prison life.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:35 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,257,882 times
Imagine making a trip to the market and getting everything on the list except COFFEE!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:54 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,623,117 times
Be the change that you want to see in the world, a nice thought.

I am sick of selfish people who always get their way and never apologize. My neighbor ripped down 50 pine trees that were over 30 years old and provided nice shade and privacy in the backyard. (Mid point of mine and their property line).

When I called her she said her husband planted them 30 years ago, and that they would plant new smaller trees . I know for a fact those trees were over 40 years old, as I have seen the legal survey map. I dislike liars and phonies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics