Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,251,488 times

Advertisements

I mentioned before I work in tech support. It can be fun and then other times not so much. Today was one of those days. Just a complete nightmare all day. So I get off work and my technology inept mother calls me wanting assistance setting up not only a new router but a wireless printer. Shoot me now was my first thought. I worked 10 hours, all day being yelled at, cried at (yes, people actually sob on the phone at times) and every other range of emotion and then yippie, I get off work and get to work some more! My mother is a cryer by the way. Fun stuff.

I dont mind helping people in fact I love technology but people that are not tech savvy need to pace themselves. Its okay not to be tech savvy. Learn slowly. Dont go out and buy crap you dont have a need for or that will just frustrate you. What's the point in that? But my mother has that has to keep up with the Jones mentality and she buys stuff left and right because so and so has it. She has a smartphone. She has no clue on how to use it. She has had it 2 yrs and just realized the other day that she can access the internet on it. Or the ipad she bought 3 yrs ago. She bought the 64GB model because she didnt want to outgrow it. She has 2 apps on it. yes, 2. So then it dawns on me (Im partially brain dead after work) why does she need to set up a new printer? Oh...she heard that she could print off her iPad if she got a new printer. Oh goodie. Ya know, its super important to be able to print off her iPad. Ya know, the ipad she never uses. So I had to go through a host of crap to help her set up this stuff from 300 miles away.

I need to become a cryer.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,144,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I mentioned before I work in tech support. It can be fun and then other times not so much. Today was one of those days. Just a complete nightmare all day. So I get off work and my technology inept mother calls me wanting assistance setting up not only a new router but a wireless printer. Shoot me now was my first thought. I worked 10 hours, all day being yelled at, cried at (yes, people actually sob on the phone at times) and every other range of emotion and then yippie, I get off work and get to work some more! My mother is a cryer by the way. Fun stuff.

I dont mind helping people in fact I love technology but people that are not tech savvy need to pace themselves. Its okay not to be tech savvy. Learn slowly. Dont go out and buy crap you dont have a need for or that will just frustrate you. What's the point in that? But my mother has that has to keep up with the Jones mentality and she buys stuff left and right because so and so has it. She has a smartphone. She has no clue on how to use it. She has had it 2 yrs and just realized the other day that she can access the internet on it. Or the ipad she bought 3 yrs ago. She bought the 64GB model because she didnt want to outgrow it. She has 2 apps on it. yes, 2. So then it dawns on me (Im partially brain dead after work) why does she need to set up a new printer? Oh...she heard that she could print off her iPad if she got a new printer. Oh goodie. Ya know, its super important to be able to print off her iPad. Ya know, the ipad she never uses. So I had to go through a host of crap to help her set up this stuff from 300 miles away.

Oh I can feel your pain. Although I don't work in tech support, I do academic and career advising. It's so much fun when my friends and family need assistance ... Half of the time, they don't even follow my advice and it's challenging as they don't treat me as if I'm competent but yet, they want my help

Old 09-19-2012, 09:40 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,086,185 times
Quote:

I feel your pain - but laughed anyway

Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 AM

31,044 posts, read 16,601,715 times
just tell her the gizmos are incompatible. Absolutely will not work together. I'd believe it: I'm one of those puter idiots. (a.k.a. technologically challenged. ) At least I don't cry. I may bite your head off, scratch your eyes out, give you a new hole.........but I don't cry!

my whine: turned the furnace on! Thought it was a bit chilly. Thermostat said 58. When the temperature gets lower than my age, the furnace comes on. Even if it's only September. sigh

Old 09-20-2012, 07:22 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,815,283 times
Jinxed myself - said I haven't had problem connecting to the internet in ages - a couple of days later my laptop won't connect. It just sputtered out and quit.
This morning I checked everything an untechie person could, and I backed up all my docs & pix. I began to suspect a microsoft update that was applied yesterday. My laptop was fine early yesterday afternoon - totally fritzed last night. Tried to go to a restore point, told it failed, said try turn off the antivirus and try again.
Also tried rebooting the modem & router - nothing - nothing - and suddenly wham the internet was back.
I have no idea what happened and furthermore, no one seems to know just what a SWMagent is.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:32 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,293,428 times
You are being very kind to your mother and that's a good thing. Your profession considered, it could be that she thinks she's impressing you by getting all the new stuff. Just a thought.

You're sweet. Keep on being good to her.

Quote:

Old 09-20-2012, 07:33 AM

27,540 posts, read 27,572,951 times
Cellophane wrappers! Potato chips, cereals, The hardest to open without scattering all the contents halfway across the room and the noisiest, you can hear someone opening a package of Doritos all the way next door!!!!!

Old 09-20-2012, 08:03 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,815,283 times
Quote:
Cellophane wrappers! Potato chips, cereals, The hardest to open without scattering all the contents halfway across the room and the noisiest, you can hear someone opening a package of Doritos all the way next door!!!!!
The answer is scissors.

Was just on chat with Samsung tech, unfortunately I lost the connection. AAAAArgghghghghg!!!!!!!!!
I've come to hate SWMAgent with all of its restarting.
laptop working fine for now.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,449,221 times
I had to restore settings again. Fortunately this worked without me calling the tech. It doesn't seem like I should have to do this but whatever.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:23 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,104,037 times
While running around town and taking care of errands, I noticed that a number of other drivers are parking over the line and taking space from the other spot next to them. You couldn't park in the other space beside the car because of the "over the line" issue. Who are these people who can't put it between the lines????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics