Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 06:02 PM

15 posts, read 36,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmchic00 View Post
yeah really.

Thanks Nicolette. The super I spoke with yesterday said I would get a refund... just not sure when. Wish I had already gotten it. Oh well.

I'm sure you would still get it. Today I got a letter stating I'm eligible for EB. Hmmm.. lol. Odd, I know. Oh well.

Nicolette, I'm wondering, when did you last work? I also got a recent wage transcript which makes me think that I did qualify for a 2nd yr, even though my paycheck was q1 of 2009. For some reason, it said the wages were for "benefit yr 9/2009-2010" which my 2nd benefit yr didn't start til 2/2010. UGH!
You prob want to double-check that wage transcript...look in bottom left of the letter...it may say you have a disqualification for the year in question...They make the disqual. letter look just like the ones that say you have a new benefit year, except for that statement being in the bottom left. Easy to get confused - UGH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 06:18 PM

193 posts, read 286,373 times
Nope.. nowhere to be seen. no disquals anywhere. but thanks.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:49 PM

330 posts, read 461,913 times
Quote:
yeah really.

Thanks Nicolette. The super I spoke with yesterday said I would get a refund... just not sure when. Wish I had already gotten it. Oh well.

I'm sure you would still get it. Today I got a letter stating I'm eligible for EB. Hmmm.. lol. Odd, I know. Oh well.

Nicolette, I'm wondering, when did you last work? I also got a recent wage transcript which makes me think that I did qualify for a 2nd yr, even though my paycheck was q1 of 2009. For some reason, it said the wages were for "benefit yr 9/2009-2010" which my 2nd benefit yr didn't start til 2/2010. UGH!
i'm not entirely sure i'm following. are you at all mixing base periods with benefit years? or Quarters with months, because they put both on there in a confusing manner.

a few days ago you said this:

IM SO CONFUSED!!!!!!

I got a letter today.... a wage transcript. This makes me think I did qualify for my yr 2.

My 1st yr was from 2/27/09-2/27/10. My last pay check was JAN. 09.

The transcript had q4 of 09, q1,2 and 3 of 10.. which I did get wages from..my last job BUT it was BEFORE i started my 1st yr.

BUT it said BASE PERIOD 10/01/08 to 09/30/2009. IM SO CONFUSED!!! If this is my base period, then did I qualify for my 2nd yr at a lower rate??? even though I haven't worked since q1 of 09????

a base period is the 1st 4 of the last 5 COMPLETE quarters.
so whether you started in jan or feb 2009, the base period was 4th Q 2007(Oct 1, 2007)- 3rd Q 2008(Sept 30, 2008).
and for that 2nd benefit year, the base period is a year later than it was before. 4th Q 2008- 3rd Q 2009.

in another message earlier you said your total wages in that base period were somewhere around $6459, with a high quarter of $5841.
that fails the 1.5x test, so i wouldnt think youd qualify for Year 2, with or without a 6x rule.
unless i'm missing something.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:38 PM

My apologies.. you are right. I didn't qualify for the 2nd yr because I'm an idiot and didn't think of the 1.5 rule

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:50 PM

330 posts, read 461,913 times
whoa, now.

well why didnt the letter say disqualifications?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:51 PM

81 posts, read 174,565 times
Hi all

I did call Friday using this # from a lot of pages back:
919-707-1338
I had to select a number based on my SS# and then I had to leave a message. I was supposed to leave my name, SS#, phone # and state if this call was in regards to the over payment notices. I did. I haven't been called back yet.
Today my profile changed from Exhausted benefits to Regular Active Claim. Down below it is now saying I am eligible for EB at my year 1 rate. Nothing about how many weeks or where I stand as far as the OP goes.

I don't know if the call I made had anything to do with the change or if it is just automatic,,, though slow to get things straigtened out?
Sad thing is, I was trying to save everything I could, because I knew my benefits would run out in mid Nov. Now I am having to use that money with no idea if I am out of benefits, going to be on EB for a bit longer or what? I'm not stressing over it, but frustrated that I know nothing about what is going on with my account.
I don't think they are going to cheat us out of anything. Most likely it is going to put some of us in the 99 week range we wouldn't have reached otherwise. But not knowing for sure is a pain.
Doesn't sound like calling is really doing anyone very much good, at this point.
At least seeing movement of my profile shows something is happening. Hopefully it won't be more than a few more days to get some info on exactly where we ACCURATELY stand on our benefits.
I, for one, need to plan for my actual exhaustion of my benefits. I want to have some money saved up for that time. No jobs yet, and that little tip I got months ago; "Work should pick back up come fall", doesn't seem to be happening. Or not at a rate we need to see anyway.

All this NAFTA and other incentives to get companies to move out of the the US is killing us. I knew it 20 years ago, and now it is really hitting us hard. Anyone with common sense should have seen this. Problem is, most citizens haven't a clue about what is happening in our government and it is just slipping more and more out of the hands of the US people. Many people vote without a clue what their chosen official stands for or their agenda.
Our best days as a nation are behind us. People can fool themselves all they want, but we are falling and doing it fast. We will never regain our former glory unless we bring our manufacturing back home. Impose tariffs, give tax breaks to US companies that use US suppliers and that keep their jobs here in the states. Tax non US made items at a higher precentage, etc, etc. In other words, give US companies reason to stay and give US citizens reason to buy US made goods. Yes, we live in a global economy, but we should not let ours lag while we help others grow and flourish. We'll find ourselves like the mighty Titanic.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:45 PM

14 posts, read 27,167 times
Quote:
My high quarter was $5841.80.. Total was 6459.80...... if you divide that by 26, that's 224--- which is what I got.. but I only got that for 13 weeks. They said thats all i'd get out of my 2nd yr, hence why I did a pull forward.

BUTTTTTTT...... if you divide 5841.80 by 13 weeks, it is 449.30.. which is NOT what i got.

SO .. i did qualify for my 2nd year, they only paid me for 13 weeks at the 26 week rate.. PLEASE someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renniegirl View Post
Actually, when you take your high quarter and divide by 26, that has nothing to do with how long you receive your benefits. It's not that you get $$$ for 26 weeks. 26 is just the number you divide into your high quarter to determine how much per week you get. It's the same for everyone.

The calculation to determine how long you get your original benefits is different. Essentially, if your income was evenly distributed among the 4 quarters then you'll get 26 weeks. If you had one quarter that was substantially higher due to a bonus or something, you'll get more money than someone who had a similar income but no bonus, but you'll get fewer weeks that someone who had that same high amt in every quarter. That's how it works.

Quote:
This is where I got this.. it's from the 1st page of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
You can figure your claim duration for regular UI by adding the total wages in your base period, then divide that number by the high quarter in the base period, and multiply that result by 8.66. Minimum is 13 weeks, maximum is 26 weeks.

Good luck to you!

My point was that they said I only qualified for 13 weeks.. if u take my wages and do the math, I got the 26 wk amount for only 13 wks.
Thanks for posting jdljr's msg. I had forgotten the calculation to determine the length of an original claim. This is how the math works out.

"My high quarter was $5841.80.. Total was 6459.80."

To determine amount, you divide your high quarter ($5841.80) by 26 and get $224.68. (The number 26 here has nothing to do with the max length of an original claim, just a coincidence that there is 26 in both calcs)

To determine the length of time you will be paid, you divide the total wages in the base period ($6459.80) by your high quarter ($5841.80) then multiply by 8.66. $6459.80/$5841.80 =1.11 x 8.66 = 9.61.

In other words, because your high quarter was such a large part of your total earnings for the base period, you only qualified for 9.61 weeks, which they upped to 13 weeks because that is the minimum.

The fact that they tell you to divide your high quarter by 26 and the fact that the max length of an original claim is 26 weeks is only coincidence--one has nothing to do with the other. There is no "26 week amount." Look at it this way: there are 13 weeks in quarter, so dividing your high quarter by 13 would give you your gross weekly income. Dividing by 26 gives you half your gross weekly income. In essence, it's just like saying: "Take your high quarter and divide by the 13 weeks in a quarter. That's what you got paid in your job per week, gross (for that quarter). Now cut it in half. That's what your getting per week on unemployment." It doesn't matter how many weeks you qualify for: 13, 18, 25--the calculation to determine the amount of weekly benefit is the same: divide your high quarter by 26. They make these calculations as complex as they can, it seems. Hope that helps.

Last edited by renniegirl; 10-05-2010 at 10:35 PM..

Old 10-05-2010, 09:47 PM

83 posts, read 265,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Job_Hunter View Post
Hi all

I did call Friday using this # from a lot of pages back:
919-707-1338
I had to select a number based on my SS# and then I had to leave a message. I was supposed to leave my name, SS#, phone # and state if this call was in regards to the over payment notices. I did. I haven't been called back yet.
Today my profile changed from Exhausted benefits to Regular Active Claim. Down below it is now saying I am eligible for EB at my year 1 rate. Nothing about how many weeks or where I stand as far as the OP goes.

I don't know if the call I made had anything to do with the change or if it is just automatic,,, though slow to get things straigtened out?
Sad thing is, I was trying to save everything I could, because I knew my benefits would run out in mid Nov. Now I am having to use that money with no idea if I am out of benefits, going to be on EB for a bit longer or what? I'm not stressing over it, but frustrated that I know nothing about what is going on with my account.
I don't think they are going to cheat us out of anything. Most likely it is going to put some of us in the 99 week range we wouldn't have reached otherwise. But not knowing for sure is a pain.
Doesn't sound like calling is really doing anyone very much good, at this point.
At least seeing movement of my profile shows something is happening. Hopefully it won't be more than a few more days to get some info on exactly where we ACCURATELY stand on our benefits.
I, for one, need to plan for my actual exhaustion of my benefits. I want to have some money saved up for that time. No jobs yet, and that little tip I got months ago; "Work should pick back up come fall", doesn't seem to be happening. Or not at a rate we need to see anyway.

All this NAFTA and other incentives to get companies to move out of the the US is killing us. I knew it 20 years ago, and now it is really hitting us hard. Anyone with common sense should have seen this. Problem is, most citizens haven't a clue about what is happening in our government and it is just slipping more and more out of the hands of the US people. Many people vote without a clue what their chosen official stands for or their agenda.
Our best days as a nation are behind us. People can fool themselves all they want, but we are falling and doing it fast. We will never regain our former glory unless we bring our manufacturing back home. Impose tariffs, give tax breaks to US companies that use US suppliers and that keep their jobs here in the states. Tax non US made items at a higher precentage, etc, etc. In other words, give US companies reason to stay and give US citizens reason to buy US made goods. Yes, we live in a global economy, but we should not let ours lag while we help others grow and flourish. We'll find ourselves like the mighty Titanic.
Precisely. This is where I'm at. I have 5 weeks of Tier 4 left as of today, and I don't know if the ESC will, in fact, grant me the 20 weeks of EB, if necessary. In the end, I think it will, given the fact that it made the mistake in forcing me into a year 2 claim, and no one is liable for repaying year 2 benefits. Regardless, it's unsettling, as I'd like to know. But, I'm not going to stress too much. I'm hoping it gets resolved in a few days, as I was told it'd take a few weeks today.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:37 AM

81 posts, read 174,565 times
My payment history now shows two payments (for the last two week I filed) at my Year 1 amount processed yesterday.
No idea how much I still have left to draw on, but I suppose I will get a letter any day now.
Also, not sure if this is Tier 4 or EB or the last of Tier 3 I was on before all this mess started.
But at least something is happening now, so everyone should be getting theirs fixed soon too.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 AM

Thanks Rennie..

All of this is a bit confusing. But it's slowly getting straightened out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina