Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times

Advertisements

They are cool! Maybe that's the one we saw running across the road on Sunday! Just happy I didn't see a Wiley coyote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 03:55 PM

4 posts, read 8,113 times
Default Paging cre8lite or any other Pahrump scholars.

cre8lite, and they say "what's in a name"?
Perhaps you are a physicist?
Perhaps you work for a flashlight, lantern, headlight manufacturer?
Perhaps you created a diet food, supplement company?

Outstanding job on creating and maintaining this amazingly informative thread.

Just a couple questions dude, or is it dudette?
As aresident of Canada who has visited pa's dump a few times, what is the likelihood
of landing under the table work? I know I will be flamed for axing this type of question with
the many illegal immigrants who have flooded the U.S., but the process of obtaining a greencard
is quite a bullship process.
Vegas too big for me and I love the desert! I own my own fifth wheel, am well off financially and would love any employment to keep myself occupied. One can only golf so much.
Cre8lite, I believe we are the same age. 44yrs old here. I just split from the old lady, both kids are in university and im looking to get away for a year a two. As I respect your opinion, I would love your insight.
Thanks much mate.

One final note.
A song was actually created many years ago for Pahrumpans, but was stolen from the writer and used elsewhere. It goes something like this.
"Come they told me, Pahrump pa pa pa pah.
A new born king to see, Pahrump pa pa pa pah,
Our finest gifts we bring, Pahrump pa pa pa pa
To lay before the king, Pahrump pa pa pa pa, rum pa pa ap, rump pa pa pa.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:54 PM

2,851 posts, read 4,526,226 times
cre8lite = none of what you have listed, but close to #2. and dudette would be the proper term

as for working under the table out here...can it be done? sure. it can be done anywhere. the trades that i know of out here that would do it, would be mechanical or truck drivers. i don't konw if that is your forte ? i'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that i am aware of.

finding a regular job in this town can be a challenge. it's getting better, but sometimes it can take waaaay too long.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:40 PM

took a ride up to tonopah this weekend, snapped a few pix of the interesting pieces & parts of town. i'm not sure if i've covered this or not, but an interesting tidbit about tonopah is that at one point in time it was THE place to be (it's hard to tell looking at the town today). mining has always been a big industry here & there is a reason that nevada is called "the silver state". silver was discovered in tonopah in the early 1900s. over a 40 yr period, 5 million tons of ore (silver, gold, copper & lead) were pulled out of the mines. in 2010 market prices, that would've been $1,200,000,000. wow! mining is STILL big business in tonopah, but i don't think it's quite as big as it once was.

the safe - this thing is sitting in the ground, on a slight incline. right inbetween 2 houses. how long has it been there? idk what business was there in the past that used the safe? idk you can see on the right hand side a small opening that someone has created to get behind the safe. there are rumors that all of tonopah has tunnels running underneath of it. i tried to squeeze in behind the safe, but some tonopians have been using this location as a bathroom & the stench was too much too take. there was a tunnel behind it, not a clue where the tunnel goes.

the poles & antennas - while driving around i saw a bunch of poles on a hill. when i got closer to it, i discovered it used to be the old tv station location. you can see the satellite dishes in the background. those were the "new" technology at one point. all of this was simply abandoned & has been sitting here for years. i don't believe tonopah HAS a tv station any more. if they do, i've never heard of it. scattered on the ground is a junk collectors paradise....broken bottles, antique rusted tin cans, rusty railroad spikes, rusty box spring mattress, if it was rusty, it was there.

the erector set looking thingee - you can see this structure in the background of the old tv station poles. this piece is referred to as the "head frame", it's used in mining to hoist/lower people & equipment into/outof the mine. you can see multiples thru out town, but this is the newest one i've seen. the others are made from wood, which suprisingly some have survived since the mining boom in the early 1900s.
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02851.jpg   Nye County-dsc02852.jpg   Nye County-dsc02856.jpg   Nye County-dsc02857.jpg  

Old 09-10-2013, 09:16 AM

4 posts, read 8,113 times
Mrs., Miss., Ms., cre8lite, thank you for your reply.
Not a pre requisite for me to find employment, but being a restless, got to always be doing something
person it would help. Up here in Canada I volunteer for the special Olympics. Nothing brings me greater joy than the smiles brought to handicapped children by the thrill of competing. And the kicker, the kids not giving a flying fcvk whether they win or come in last as the smiles and enthusiasm are always present. I know there are charities in every town always looking for volunteers, but I am quite selective as a lot of deviant, self serving scumbags attach themselves to these services. Any recommendations, suggestions?
Thx for hearing me out. I have a million questions and your friendly disposition makes me feel welcome.
Thx Mate!

Old 09-10-2013, 06:58 PM

there are always organizations in need of voluteers. below are the ones i am aware of, you could always check with the chamber of commerce - they might know who needs help (Pahrump Valley Chamber of Commerce)

No To Abuse Program 775-751-1118
not for profit sexual assault & domestic violence organization for men, women & families

CASA National CASA: Contact a CASA Program
court appointed special advocates, helping kids who have been abused

NyE Communities Coalition NyECC
they work as a liason between the school district & the juvenile probation program

again, these are just the ones i am aware of

Old 09-14-2013, 02:43 PM

september is finally here! it means a few things:

1) cooler temperatures! we've been bouncing around 93 degrees recently. which still sounds hot, but compared to 108? it's a gorgeous day & by the end of the month, it'll be close to tshirt weather. no more having to run your a/c morning noon & night. being able to open your windows at night & have the cool breeze blow thru the house. aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

2) fall festival! this is a 4 day event, basically our fair if you will. we have vendor booths, all the regular junk food you get at most fairs (some of them are pretty damn tasty), rides for the kids in all of us, a parade & a rodeo. where is all this held? well right here at our very own petrack park, located on the corner of hwy 160 & basin (3rd stop light).

Pahrump Fall Festival | Town of Pahrump

speaking of the fall festival.....it brings us to the real reason we're here. to learn more about nye county. right now petrack park is our "fairgrounds". it's really just supposed to be a park. it's a make do kinda thing. on the main drag thru town you'll see the big blue & white sign boasting "future home of nye county fairgrounds". it sure did catch my eye when i came to town my 1st time. i did some digging to figure out how long that sign has been there & why in the world are we not developing the area.

in 1999 the BLM (with the help of harry reid) donated 427 acres to the town of pahrump, to be used as fairgrounds. this acreage is owned by the town, not the county. original construction for the fairgrounds was estimated at $13 million. in 2001 that figure was adjusted to $30 million. that's quite an increase in price! imagine how much it will cost now-a-days.

the big blue & white sign was erected dec 2000. it looks pretty good for being exposed to the elements for almost 13 yrs!

according to an article found in the aug 2005 mirror newspaper, the original construction was to be paid from:
* the town's general fund
* private donations
* 1/2 the fall festival earnings
* 3% of the room tax fund (which came to approx $100k/yr)

i moved to town in 2005. nothing has been done to that site since i moved here UNTIL spring 2012. when the county found a grant to pay for the drilling of the well. since then, there have been small victories. like a stop sign, along with street signs. a paved parking lot. 2 paved roads. that's it. nothing else. the best part? these paved roads go no where. they don't connect you to the main paved road (gamebird). go out to google maps & look up spring mountain, pahrump, nv. locate gamebird rd & then find fox ave. go ahead...you know you wanna look it up, i wait

this black top is in the middle of nothing. it's an excellent start, but c'mon 13 years to get to this point? somethings not right here. i know the fall festival barely breaks even each year. i know the room tax fund keeps getting depleted on all the "studies" the current board keeps paying for. & i do believe over the years the town has adjusted how much of the room tax actually goes into the fairground fund. & everyone's general fund took a hit when the economy went boom. have they asked for private donations ? i have no idea. until i read the article in the newspaper i didn't know they were expecting others to contribute to the fund. it's not like there are donation boxes around town. it sure as heck wouldn't hurt!

in the future, this site will have baseball fields, soccer fields, a rodeo arena, exhibition buildings, as well as all the other goodies that come with a full blown fair. when will it be completed? i'm not sure i'll see it completed in my life time
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-scan.jpg   Nye County-dsc02739.jpg   Nye County-dsc02738.jpg   Nye County-dsc02735.jpg   Nye County-dsc02736.jpg  

Nye County-dsc02737.jpg  

Old 09-23-2013, 02:53 PM

i did a little off roading the other day, there are millions of off road trails in nye county. i truly believe an atv of some sort should be included with the purchase of a home out here. i have to give the be careful disclaimer befroe going further

* don't explore by yourself. bring a friend. if something happens to you, you're buddy can go for help
* always let others know where you're going. if something happens to you & your trail buddy, someone back home can at least point search & rescue in the right direction.
* cell phones don't always work when you're off exploring. don't count on them to help you in your time of need
* be courteous. not all of the trails in nye county are open to the public. majority of them have no signs/gates. some trails have signs like "please close the gate behind you" or "no trespassing". majority of the homes in nye county are gun owners. if the sign says no trespassing & you ignore it, no one to blame but yourself if you get hurt. i'm not saying you will get shot, but do you really wanna find out?
* you pack it in, you pack it out. leave the trail the way you found it so that others can enjoy the beauty & fun like you did.

why did i chose this trail? because i've never seen these hills so green before! the hills are normally tans, browns, ya know....traditional dirt colors. we've received so much rain lately that some of the hills are green from all the new growth. i had to get closer. this was not a trail i had been on before, but my trail buddy had. plenty of spots to do some target practicing & plenty of signs tell us to pick up after ourselves. there were many other roads leading off the main trail. not enough time to explore them all in one trip, but i will be back
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02879.jpg   Nye County-dsc02887.jpg   Nye County-dsc02885.jpg   Nye County-dsc02882.jpg   Nye County-dsc02880.jpg  

Old 10-05-2013, 02:14 AM

it's time to get caught up on the town vs county saga that's been brewing for a while....

nye county commissioners voted to place a question on the 2012 ballot, asking residents if the pahrump town board should be discontinued. 7063 residents voted to leave it as is. 7294 residents voted to dissolve the town board & turn it into an advisory committee. this would essentially give all the power to the county commissioners, instead of sharing the power between the 2 boards.

there is one town board member, who has tried REPEATEDLY to get into office (any office) over the years, by the name of harley kulkin. at one point, he ran for office (i forget which position he wanted), but he lost & then he promptly wrote a letter to the editor stating how disappointed he was in the citizens of pahrump & how he was just going to pick up & move. if only he did. harley once was arrested for assaulting an officer, who was simply doing her job. after completing anger mgmt classes, he basically did the same thing to a citizen at the fall festival a few years back. i'm guessing he either didn't pay attention during anger mgmt class OR he just plain didn't attend. anyhoo, he finally got elected to the town board & boy howdy.....any friends he had going into the job, he's lost with all of his antics. at one point, kulkin decided to speak at one county commissioners meeting where he stated "would someone please call pahrump valley disposal, some fo the trash got out of the dumpster" referring to the audience. o yea, this man has got C-L-A-S-S written all over him!

the town manager, bill kohbarger, left us in july & headed for north las vegas. in his absense, the town board decided to hire susan holecheck as the new town manager. keep in mind, this is a temporary position as the public voted to dissolve the town board, which would eliminate the need for a town manager as well. susan comes to us from mesquite, where she used to be the mayor. there are rumors that the town board (ahem, harley) hired susan specifically because mesquite is incorporated & harley's always wanted pahrump to incorporate. if the rumors are correct, the town board feels if they can incorporate the town of pahrump then the county can't dissolve the town board. this town has voted 4 times over the years to NOT incorporate. i don't see the community changing their minds anytime soon.

there has been a lot of legal rangling - the town tried to stop the question from being placed on the 2012 ballot (motion denied); the town then claimed the county put the question on the ballot improperly (motion denied). the town is now seeking an appeal from the supreme court.

if everything continues as planned, the county will take over the town's responsibilities on dec 31 2014. i'm not sure how quickly the supreme court will rule on this case, or if they will feel it's worth their time/energy, but since it's already october 2013....i'm not sure the supreme court will have a ruling in time ?

this mobile billboard has been spotted around town recently. i haven't seen anything in the papers to identify who created the billboard or what exactly they are trying to do
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02878.jpg  

Old 10-13-2013, 11:22 AM

pahrump has their own master gardeners, not sure if beatty & tonopah have one as well ? ours does not have a webpage in any way which would be so much more helpful to me.

they are located on the corner of calvada blvd & dandelion st. they have a pretty cool garden area you can wander thru, with the plants labeled so you know what to purchase for your own garden spot.

twice a year they have a tree delivery, where you can get either 1 gallon or 5 gallon buckets with your choice of plants in them. since they don't have a webpage you either have to KNOW it's that time of year OR scour thru the paper for the ad - it's usually in announcements in the pvtimes. october & i think march are when they do the plant sale. you wander thru the list, order what you want by a specific date, then go down & pick them up on a specific date. all orders are CASH only! you must order at least 3 plants. majority of my trees came from the annual tree delivery. 2 chaste trees; 2 mimosas; 1 pomegranate. i also tried a rose from them one year that didn't make it (poor planting location on my part i'm guessing). i'm out of room in my front yard & need to expand to the side & back yards next.

in addition to the tree delivery, they have oodles of flyers with very useful information. such as when to plant your veggies here. i was amazed at what exactly would grow here. i'm from an area where you could grow just about anything. moving here i thought i'd be limited on what we could grow. was i wrong!! my neighbor has found the perfect spot to grow tomatoes; i've got numerous friends that have fruit & veggie gardens that THRIVE out here. it's all just a matter of trial & error.
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-mg-fall-sale.jpg   Nye County-mg-planting-guide.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada