Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:21 AM

34 posts, read 172,777 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear from people who live in Henderson or anywhere in the Las Vegas Valley.

My daughter is 15, my son is 4, and I have a husband.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,017 times
Default Moving to Henderson

Hi,
I am 25, single, fresh grad from Univ of South Carolina. I am thinking of moving to Henderson, I have a job oppurtunity waitin for me. I would apprecaite it if someone in the forum could provide more info abt henderson...especially cost of living info...il be makin 53k...is tat enuf to gt by in nevada????????

Thanks

Old 09-16-2006, 08:17 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,748,476 times
I just moved away last week after living there 9 years. Read some of the past posts I've posted and you will see why...

Old 09-17-2006, 07:49 AM

15 posts, read 50,559 times
Let me know what you would like to know.

I have lived in Henderson since 1998 with my husband and daughter.

We have loved it, made good friends (some of whom have become like family).

My daughter is 14, just entered high school this year, and is fine.

Think of whatever questions you need answered and I'll reply

Old 09-17-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonely2 View Post
Hi,
I am 25, single, fresh grad from Univ of South Carolina. I am thinking of moving to Henderson, I have a job oppurtunity waitin for me. I would apprecaite it if someone in the forum could provide more info abt henderson...especially cost of living info...il be makin 53k...is tat enuf to gt by in nevada????????

Thanks
I think you can do fine in Henderson on $53,000 per year. Here is the official city of Henderson website when you can find more information about the city itself: www.cityofhenderson.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I just moved away last week after living there 9 years. Read some of the past posts I've posted and you will see why...
I will read the pasts posts. It's good to see all points of view.

To where did you move and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieV16 View Post
Let me know what you would like to know.

I have lived in Henderson since 1998 with my husband and daughter.

We have loved it, made good friends (some of whom have become like family).

My daughter is 14, just entered high school this year, and is fine.

Think of whatever questions you need answered and I'll reply
Dear Frankie,

My family and I also moved to Henderson in 1998 (June 15th).

We moved from Canoga Park, CA (Los Angeles County).

From where did you move?

Our daughter is in 10th grade and our son is in pre-K.

I will also email you privately.

Last edited by Yac; 09-17-2006 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 09-25-2006, 04:12 PM

4 posts, read 19,419 times
Angry Clark Cty. NV

Schools - poor, teachers can not afford housing.
Politics - bad, lots of crooks involved with the Cty. Commission. See Review Journal news paper for details.
Roads - under constant construction
Drivers - bad, speeding, run red lights
Teens - 300,000 kids in school district, gangs & shootings weekly also drugs.
Can get by without heat in winter. Have drought conditions.
See SNWA or Water Wars online.
Insurance - seems to run 30% higher than the mid-west, IA, NE, KS, MO
COL - 116, the R-J CLAIMS IT'S READERSHIP AVERAGES $77,000 PER YEAR

Old 09-29-2006, 06:21 PM
Lin

3 posts, read 15,174 times
I've lived in Henderson, NV for 5 years. The cost of living has gone up dramatically, especially housing. You should be fine on $53,000 just not have an extravagant lifestyle. I really enjoy living here. Like all cities, it has problems with traffic, safety, and schools. The infrastructure needs to catch up with the population growth. The weather is a big improvement over Wisconsin (where I moved from) but it will probably be a big adjustment for you. Take water everywhere you go and don't expect to get by without air conditioning in your car or apartment. Any particular topics you want info on?

Old 09-29-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
I've lived in Henderson, NV for 5 years. The cost of living has gone up dramatically, especially housing. You should be fine on $53,000 just not have an extravagant lifestyle. I really enjoy living here. Like all cities, it has problems with traffic, safety, and schools. The infrastructure needs to catch up with the population growth. The weather is a big improvement over Wisconsin (where I moved from) but it will probably be a big adjustment for you. Take water everywhere you go and don't expect to get by without air conditioning in your car or apartment. Any particular topics you want info on?

We don't live an extravagant lifestyle, luckily.

In the past 8 years, we've seen the cost of living go up dramatically. We were lucky to purchase our home in 1998.

Thank goodness we have plenty of water and air condition when necessary.

We are from Southern CA.

Since we both live in Henderson, feel free to email me privately.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:30 PM

6 posts, read 19,153 times
Default Living in Henderson

I wouldn't recommending anyone who has a family to live in the Vegas area. Way too much road rage, traffic, daily murders. The public schools stink and unless you have a huge salary you can't afford private school. The weather is extremely overated. Way too hot here in the summer and you are at the mercy of AC with astronomical electric bills. When it rains here they always interrupt regular programming because this city can't handle any inclement weather. Too be very honest I think that most people who have lived here for several years and esp. if over 50 or 60 would have an extremely difficult time relocating east of the Rockies. Couldn't handle the winters, humidity or other weather elements. My Aunt is over 70 and lives in Baltimore who is very weather tough and shovels snow. I dare say people living here couldn't do that without serious griping. Are we weather tough? or weather wimps? This is an overated town.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:08 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod voshell View Post
I wouldn't recommending anyone who has a family to live in the Vegas area. Way too much road rage, traffic, daily murders. The public schools stink and unless you have a huge salary you can't afford private school. The weather is extremely overated. Way too hot here in the summer and you are at the mercy of AC with astronomical electric bills. When it rains here they always interrupt regular programming because this city can't handle any inclement weather. Too be very honest I think that most people who have lived here for several years and esp. if over 50 or 60 would have an extremely difficult time relocating east of the Rockies. Couldn't handle the winters, humidity or other weather elements. My Aunt is over 70 and lives in Baltimore who is very weather tough and shovels snow. I dare say people living here couldn't do that without serious griping. Are we weather tough? or weather wimps? This is an overated town.
More nonsense. Somehow this list attracts doomsayers.

Road rage occurs in Las Vegas at about the same level it does in most of the SW. Actually a good bit more laid back than most of the country.

Traffic is quite good for a big city. Better than Phoenix or coastal California or Seattle. Worse than Podunk Junction Kansas.

Crime rates are better than almost any of the eastern cities. Actually quite good for a city of its size.

Schools are not bad for a city of its size. Better than LA or San Diego but not as good as Phoenix. The good suburban schools of Las Vegas compare well with similar schools elsewhere.

The weather is hot and some can't deal with it. But most of us like it. With a little care it is a very comfortable climate. I use an old truck for errands that has no air. You can live with it even in July. Homes here are generally well insulated. Many smaller homes don't go past $100 in the peak of the hate. Newer well insulated homes can do better than that.

Inclement weather is generally not a problem. We do have harsh local conditions that occur rarely that cannot be handled...10 inches of rain in less than an hour for example. These may well cause very localized flooding. A pain if you get hit but very rare. See Buffalo NY and how well they did in a moderate snow storm that hit early. You really think Buffalo is unlivable because a freak storm got to them?

The town is a fine Southwestern City. By US standards it is a very nice place. If you expect streets of gold, unending entertainment and a totally permissive environment you got it wrong. But a vibrant interesting place to live and raise a family...you got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada