Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 08:50 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,752 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the pics and info. We always stay at the Best Western when we visit Pahrump and, yes, it's a nice motel. And, as you said the rv park behind it to the east is really nice. You can stay there long term. They have monthly rates, I forget just now what the rate is. We drove all through the rv park when we were there and you could tell that some people live there on a pretty much permanent basis.

By the way, how bad was the Mt. Charleston fire? Did it get much of that gorgeous forest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:55 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,517,371 times
on our side of the mtn, we got a lot of smokey days but that's it. i know on the vegas side they had ash falling from the skies. the firefighters used pahrump as a base station for a while. the community did a couple of fundraisers for the firefighters (water, nutrition bars, buckets, etc) & there were MULTIPLE places that had thank you signs sitting along the highway for the firefighters to see. it was really quite touching.

we couldn't directly see the destruction of the fire, as it was in the canyons between here & vegas. the pictures i've seen on the news & in the newspaper, it was pretty bad. i don't think anyone died (thankfully) & i'm not sure if any of the homes up there were destroyed or not. i do know the residents were allowed to move back into their homes & discovered they had no water. the water pipes bringing the water to the area were destroyed during the fire. last i heard, they had been without running water for ~3 weeks now. as these homes are in clark county, we aren't up to date on their situation.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:47 PM

breaking news for all you art bell fans!

i've been told he is starting a new show on sirious xm on sept 16. it will be like coast to coast was waaaay back in the beginning.

SiriusXM Indie - Indie Talk Radio-XL - SiriusXM Radio

Old 07-31-2013, 06:39 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,752 times
Yep, you're correct. I saw the announcement on Drudge two days ago. Alas, as much as I love Art, I can't afford $14.95/month for sirius on top of directv and clearwire internet. Where I live satellite tv is the only option as is the wireless internet through clearwire. Well, there is dialup but that's about it and you can't stream sirius with dialup. Also if I were to stream sirius every night with clearwire I'd have my speeds throttled at about 25 gigs of use. I still wish Art the best of luck in his endeavor though.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 PM

Introducing.....the Clown Motel in Tonopah!!! 29 rooms, free wifi, biker/trucker friendly & pets are ok! Located on the main road going thru town (Hwy 95) at the north end of Tonopah, close to Napa Auto Parts.

I hate clowns, I think they are creepy. Which means, I will NEVER stay in this hotel. I'll sleep in my car before I sleep here. But you form your own opinion. The 2 videos will give you a better idea of the place.

Clown Motel Tonopah Nevada - YouTube

Clown Motel : Video : Travel Channel
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02792.jpg   Nye County-dsc02795.jpg   Nye County-dsc02793.jpg   Nye County-dsc02794.jpg  

Old 08-10-2013, 10:40 PM

pahrump has 2 new car dealerships in town. beatty has zero, tonopah has zero. if tonopah wants to purchase a new car, they have to travel to bishop, ca (~2 hrs) or pahrump (~3 hrs) or reno (~4 hrs) or las vegas (~4 hrs).

pahrump has a few used car lots. i'm not sure that beatty or tonopah do. i'll have to keep my eyes open next time i toodle thru their town.

strangely enough, neither of the pahrump car dealerships are located on the main drag in town. i'm sure there is a very good explanation for this. i'm guessing land was cheaper. this is our chevy/buick/gmc dealership. it is located next door to the best western, which IS on the main drag

i know nothing about either dealership, as i've never purchased a new car here in town. i have accompanied DH to the parts counter in both of the dealerships, but that's about it. i just love how the sales men quickly size up my car when i pull into the parking lot - you can just see the dollar signs bouncing around in their head as they think of a great way to get me outta my car & into a new car payment. those dollar signs quickly disappear when i tell them i'm only there for parts

tomorrow i will post photos of the OTHER dealership here in town.
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02786.jpg   Nye County-dsc02791.jpg  

Old 08-11-2013, 01:42 PM

our 2nd new car dealership is jeep/dodge/ram/chrysler. it is located on humahuaca st, which runs parallel to hwy 160, but their mailing address is wahkiakum ave. if you can find humahuaca, you can find the dealership. it is owned by tom saitta & don trudeau. these names will appear in future posts....
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02833.jpg   Nye County-dsc02834.jpg  

Old 08-15-2013, 10:13 PM

it's FINALLY here!!! our very own tropical smoothie has OPENED last saturday they had their stress test - everyone got a free smoothie! i stopped by, thinking the place would be a madhouse & it actually wasn't bad. the parking lot was full, the tables & chairs were all occupied but it only took 10 mins or so to get my order. not bad at all!

now that it's officially open, their drive thru will be open 24/7 & they will be doing great things for the school district:

Tropical Smoothie opens with a flurry | PV Times

as for the commenter who said he waited 1.5 hrs....DUH ! welcome to the grand opening of ANY food based business in pahrump. you don't go to the new place until at least 2 weeks AFTER the grand opening, otherwise you will wait 1.5hrs or more for your food.
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02846.jpg  

Old 08-25-2013, 05:01 PM

WARNING! FAILED BUSINESS! BUILDING NOW FOR SALE!!

Tom Siatta, from the Siatta Treadeau car dealership, enjoys jazz music. Enjoys it so much he decided to purchase the lot across the street from the car dealership & build a classy jazz restaurant which featured live jazz music every Friday night. He called it "Tommasino's".

In theory, it sounded great! Tom got to have his cars & jazz, while making $$$ & the town of Pahrump got to enjoy good Italian food while listening to good music. It turned out to be too good to be true

Both the exterior & interiors were very nicely appointed. The outside still looks good, even tho it's been empty for a while now. The grape vines in the parking lot are ready for picking. The parking lot is poorly designed (too small, only 1 way in/out). I ate here once. I never came back. Yet I had co-workers that ate here for lunch multiple times & never had a problem.

They had been open for about a month & I made reservations in person. We had a large group (~15 people). The reservation was for the following week. As we got closer to the date, I had someone from the restaurant call me to confirm we would be there on Friday, with 15 people. Yes we would be there. We get to Friday, the whole group meets at the restaurant. The restaurant has lost our reservation. Wha?? You all just confirmed with me 2 days ago! We wait. And wait. And wait some more. Just about the time we are thinking about moving our party to another restaurant, they find a group of tables for us - immediately outside the kitchen doors. When I saw immediately, I mean immediately. The wait staff had to be careful to not drop other people's food on us when they left the kitchen. They gave us 1 waitress for our table, she wasn't prepared for a large group (we were thirsty & trying to get your basic glass of water was a joke). She managed to take our orders & then it went further down hill from there. 2 or 3 orders were delivered. The rest of us waited. 10 mins later another 2 or 3 orders were delivered. The rest of us waited. 10 mins later another 2 or 3 orders were delivered. Can you see a pattern here? In the end, all of us were served except for 1. And her order? A simple sandwich. The rest of us had finished eating our meals & she STILL hadn't been served yet!!

The food was good, but not "OMG I gotta come back here!" good. Surprisingly, the restaurant managed to stay open for about a year before closing it's doors. Great building, great idea, crappy delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02845.jpg   Nye County-dsc02842.jpg   Nye County-dsc02843.jpg   Nye County-dsc02839.jpg   Nye County-dsc02840.jpg  

Nye County-dsc02844.jpg  

Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 PM

roadrunners are just the coolest thing! i don't see them a lot out here & they don't stand still for very long, so getting good pics of them can be quite a challenge. this one was hanging out in the parking lot near my work, after every one else had gone home. my co-workers have seen him too.

i saw him today (at least i'm assuming it was the same bird), trotting thru the middle of the parking lot in the middle of the day. while thinking that was kinda odd to see it in the middle of the day & me without my camera, he stepped up onto the sidewalk & then bounced off the walls of the complex trying to catch the smaller birds that were in the shrubs!!! i knew they ate lizards, but had no idea they would try for a bird. wow!
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02847.jpg   Nye County-dsc02848.jpg   Nye County-dsc02849.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada