Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 11:27 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,937,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
^^^ thanks Miker, I'm glad it's helped someone

IT'S SPRING TIME IN PAHRUMP!!! I just love love love this season. The flowers are blooming, the trees are turning green. Yesterday was the warmest day this year, 84 degrees with a slight cooling breeze. Got my 1st sunburn of the season For about the last month the temperatures have been FABULOUS. No need for the a/c, no need for the heater. The doors & windows are open pretty much 24/7 at my house.

I planted some 'red apple ice plant' about 3 weeks ago & I have flowers already!! I found a spot on the Southern Nevada Water Authority webpage where it'll tell you all about the plants that'll grow well here. This particular plant is hardy to 23 degrees during the winter - which is right about how cold it gets here in Pahrump, so we'll see if it survives. At least it'll look good from here until December.

Roses LOVE it here! I have 7 roses planted in my yard - 2 are climbers, 2 are from ProFlowers live plant delivery, the rest are transplants from my parents house. I have to watch out for aphids, but that's the only thing that'll kill the roses. The picture of the rose with the white flowers is from Tombstone AZ. They have the worlds largest rose bush, called a "white lady banksia". The original root came from Scotland in 1885. The one in Tombstone covers 8000 sq feet & yes, they sell cuttings. I got mine ~4 or 5 yrs ago. Wasn't sure how it would do out here, but apparently it's quite happy.

Indoors my 'apple blossom amaryllis' has been blooming for the last week or so. I don't dare move this outside....the wind, the heat & the cold will kill it in no time.

Of course, with the good comes the bad.....weeds Interestingly enough, each year we have different weeds. Most common is the tumbleweed. They pull up outta the ground easily when they are small, but by the time they are medium sized (shin tall) they take a little more umph to pull them. By the time they are large (knee or thigh high), you might need a shovel for help. Be warned!! These puppies have nasty stickers all over them. If you catch then when they are small, little to no stickers. Medium sized? Handle them just right or you're get stuck. Large? Get a pair of gloves. It's not worth the hassle.

Last year was a bad year for tumbleweeds - they were EVERYWHERE. This year? Not so much. This year weeds of choice is unknown to me. It tends to spread out instead of growing tall. Pretty little purple flowers on it. Either way, it's gotta go.
I'm going to check out the Southern Nevada Water Authority. Thanks for the info. I'm trying to find out what fast growing shade trees do good in Pahrump. Any idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM

2,847 posts, read 4,517,371 times
i've got 3 ash trees that do well, but are not fast growers at all. i also have a fruitless mulberry (FAST grower), it's a year younger than my ash trees but bigger than them. i have 2 chaste trees that do well & 2 silk trees. oh and 1 pomegrante tree that each i swear is dead, only to surprise me with pretty little green leaves each spring.

be sure to check out the master gardener's, as twice a year they do a plant sale. our master gardener's are NOT online, you have to do face to face with them - the office is down on calvada.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
cre8lite, I just wanted to say that this thread is AMAZING!! Thank you so much for contributing such awesome content!!

I've never been to Pahrump, but I've always had a bit of a fascination with small-town desert life, and seeing your information and photos is soooo cool!! I'll be going to Vegas in July, might take a drive to Puhrump to check it out now!
yw pinksquid. i'm glad others are enjoying it. it was refreshing to look at this rinky dink town with a new set of eyes, ya know - what are the important/unique things that we have here? what made me learn to enjoy this town?

Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,937,766 times
Quote:
i've got 3 ash trees that do well, but are not fast growers at all. i also have a fruitless mulberry (FAST grower), it's a year younger than my ash trees but bigger than them. i have 2 chaste trees that do well & 2 silk trees. oh and 1 pomegrante tree that each i swear is dead, only to surprise me with pretty little green leaves each spring.

be sure to check out the master gardener's, as twice a year they do a plant sale. our master gardener's are NOT online, you have to do face to face with them - the office is down on calvada.
Thanks. You are always so helpful! Does Pahrump have watering restrictions like LV? Do they discourage from having grass? I love grass! We have 2 1/2 more weeks untill move time.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:51 PM

nope, absolutely no watering restrictions. depending on where you end up at (a spot with acreage? or one of the subdivisions?) you *might* have a water bill. if you end up with a place that has it's own well, then you'll skip the water bill completely

personally? get a spot with your own well. dealing with utilities inc can be a nightmare!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:12 PM

This weekend is Biz Expo!! Each year during the month of April our local Chamber of Commerce (Pahrump Valley Chamber of Commerce Home Page) gives the Chamber members a chance to showcase their biz. This year it's being held at the Pahrump Nugget, Fri noon - 6pm & Sat 9am - 4pm

Old 04-28-2013, 12:47 PM

If I mention the name 'Art Bell' to you, do you know who I'm talking about? I didn't have a clue who he was when I moved here. Still wouldn't be able to pick him out of a crowd, but in some circles Art Bell is widely known.

Art Bell was the voice of "West Coast AM" which was broadcast from Las Vegas, NV (KDWN). In 1988 Art changed the name to "Coast to Coast AM" & moved to Pahrump (KNYE). The station was close to his home & he had quite a following. It was a talk show about everything from gun control to paranormal to UFOs & conspiracy theories. I've often heard the saying & seen the bumper stickers "KNYE the place where things go Pahrump in the night"

In January 2006 Art's wife, Ramona, died. I heard it was cancer, but everything I read online tells me it was "unexpected complications from asthma". Within months (April 2006) Art marries a 21 yr old girl from the Phillipines. He was 61. The little voice inside my head is screaming eeeeeewwwwwww, but to each their own

In May 2008 Art sold KNYE to Karen Jackson, a friend of the family. Karen has been proudly broadcasting ever since. She is the voice of KNYE, when she isn't there, there is no other live people manning the booth. The station plays an eclectic mix of music - anything from Chuck Berry to Taylor Swift. No heavy metal, some pop some easy listening. Thursday afternoons during election years, you can tune in & listen to Karen chatting up the latest politician running for office. You can call or email your questions to the station & Karen will ask the person in the hot seat pretty much whatever you ask. Karen also does many fundraisers for various organizations in town.

KNYE is the only radio station we have here in town. We do get a few stations from Vegas - 97.1 the Point; 92.3 KOMP; 93.1 the Party; 104.3 NOW. There might be more, but these are what plays in my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02570.jpg   Nye County-dsc02571.jpg   Nye County-dsc02572.jpg  

Old 04-28-2013, 01:02 PM

211 posts, read 333,569 times
Art Bell, the all night driver's friend. Totally out to lunch, but very interesting.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:38 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
nope, absolutely no watering restrictions. depending on where you end up at (a spot with acreage? or one of the subdivisions?) you *might* have a water bill. if you end up with a place that has it's own well, then you'll skip the water bill completely

personally? get a spot with your own well. dealing with utilities inc can be a nightmare!
As an aside all domestic wells in Nevada are limited to two acre feet per year. However they are not metered. So you have to grossly abuse the well before you have trouble. Then they mostly put a meter on the well.

I don't know if there are community wells in Pahrump or not. This is a well shared by two to fifteen homes. They are no longer done but were common in the 80s and 90s. They have a different set of limits.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:12 PM

^^^ i grew up with a community well in northern california. haven't heard of any in pahrump, but anything is possible out here whenever there is a hint of metering our wells, the natives get testy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada