Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 10:49 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
interesting idea about the goats...i would imagine the darn trees would grow back. it's my understanding they are a b!&#% to get rid of (the trees, not the goats).

They are nigh on impossible to get rid of once they get a grip. The lower Walker river that empties into Walker lake is completely choked over with the stuff. And they wonder why Walker lake is dead now. It would take a fleet of heavy equipment of mind boggling size to even put a dent in the salt cedars on the North end of the lake. The river bed would need to be totally man modified to get any flow through there now. A Panama Canal sized project. And the salt cedar would never go away. Just keeping them somewhat under control would be a full time job for a BIG crew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 02:58 PM

2,847 posts, read 4,517,371 times
i am always surprised to see how many salt cedars are along I-5 in southern ca. i've suggested to the governor that they could easily create oodles of full time jobs to eradicate those things.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:18 AM

it's a sad day in the kingdom of nye....bambi has died

i introduced you to bambi way back on pg 15, post #149 in may of 2013. i've seen bambi around town & quite often at mom's diner. she never went in, but stayed in the truck while her owner "doc" would get himself something to eat & then bring something out to her. she had quite the appetite. she loved turkey, apple pie, mashed potatoes, iced tea.

i'm sure it will take quite some time for doc to get over bambi, as they were inseperable.

Pahrump man loses best friend, his goat | PV Times

Old 06-27-2017, 05:14 PM

6 posts, read 11,978 times
Thank you again cre8lite for a particularly neat forum.

I wonder if some of the people who have moved to Pahrump and have allergies can tell of their experience after moving to town. Better? Worse? About the same?
My guess is that less water(rain) produces less mold and pollen, therefore an improvement in symptoms in those who have allergies. Could we have a discussion on this subject?

Old 06-27-2017, 05:37 PM

i don't have allergies, so i can't tell you if it's better/worse/the same. maybe others can chime in?

are these sites reliable? idk
https://weather.com/forecast/allergy/l/89060:4:US
https://www.pollen.com/forecast/extended/pollen/89048

Old 06-29-2017, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 11,978 times
Thanks cre8lite. I believe those websites use regional estimates to create a number. I noticed that the two differ quite a bit on their pollen count.

I would love to hear from some local Pahrump people as to their experience when they moved to town.

P.S. My spell checker doesn't like the spelling of Pahrump, it underlines it in red. Does that mean Pahrump isn't well known yet? That may be a plus.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:01 PM

564 posts, read 448,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
i am always surprised to see how many salt cedars are along I-5 in southern ca. i've suggested to the governor that they could easily create oodles of full time jobs to eradicate those things.
Hey, that'd cost oodles of $$$! OTOH, it'd be an opportunity for low level crimes state prisoners to get some outside time. If it was limited to state institutions it would be more manageable than if a hundred city jails tried it, all with different criteria.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Hey, that'd cost oodles of $$$! OTOH, it'd be an opportunity for low level crimes state prisoners to get some outside time. If it was limited to state institutions it would be more manageable than if a hundred city jails tried it, all with different criteria.
i'm not sure i'd give inmates weapons....but that's just me

Old 06-29-2017, 06:25 PM

564 posts, read 448,498 times
If by weapons, you mean tools, the trustee system was in place where I worked in the '60s. It was a volunteer system, nothing like the old system where prisoners were given authority over less favored inmates. I know that one was outlawed. Our trustees shined brass in the courthouse, stuff like that. Today, we see them along side the roadways picking up trash. That's a bit stricter, as they are accompanied by armed guards. That's what I have in mind. The costs are low as the guards are already on the payroll and the vehicles exist to move them around.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:16 PM

i had lunch at moms diner today. whilst minding my own business, in comes a camera crew. moms diner isn't huge, so the camera crew & all of their lights, cables, etc stuck out like a sore thumb.

what were they doing at mom's diner? interviewing "doc", the owner of bambi the goat. they did a nice job on the story, but i know that we don't exactly have a stellar reputation when it comes to las vegas & i'm thinking this story will just add to the idea that we are all toothless hillbillies out here

Pahrump mourns the loss of popular pet goat - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada