Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 AM

2,850 posts, read 4,521,584 times

Advertisements

January & February are normally our coldest & wetest months, but these last couple of years haven't been. I was hoping to catch some good snow shots this year but it doesn't appear that'll happen. Here are some pix from winters past - 2008, 2010 & 2011. As you can see we don't get A LOT of snow. Just enough to coat the ground, then it melts a few hours later. On these days, the commute over the hill to Vegas can be dangerous. Pahrump's elevation is ~2900 feet, the hill going into Vegas is ~6000 feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc00497.jpg   Nye County-dsc00498.jpg   Nye County-dsc00911.jpg   Nye County-dsc00912.jpg   Nye County-dsc01589.jpg  

Nye County-dsc01591.jpg   Nye County-palm-tree.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 03:18 PM

I took a lookie loo at the local Pahrump library this morning. I've donated things to it for years (dvd's, books, vhs, etc), but have never really looked around. It's actually pretty impressive.

Sitting on 4.6 acres, this ~21,000 sq ft building was built in 2000 & is in very good shape for being 13 yrs old. The main part of the library is for the adults. I was impressed with how many locations there are to sit down & read, comfy couches & chairs a plenty! Those of you looking to use a computer - there are 7 computers available, with a time limit of 30 minutes. Within the library is a group called "Friends of the Library", they sell used books for cheap ($1) & have many book faires thru out the year.

In the kids section, there are 7 more computers available for use. The kids have an hour time limit, unless they are working on homework. The kids section is considerably smaller than the adults, but there is PLENTY of room available on each shelf so it will be a long time before this library runs out of room!
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02536.jpg   Nye County-dsc02542.jpg   Nye County-dsc02538.jpg   Nye County-dsc02537.jpg   Nye County-dsc02541.jpg  

Nye County-dsc02539.jpg  

Old 03-10-2013, 04:01 PM

Valley Electric offers solar hot water heaters to it's customers. They come out, evaluate the house & tell you how much it'll cost you. If you like it, you schedule a date to get a solar hot water heater installed. If you don't, no big deal.

When Valley Electric decided to offer this service, they worked with our local community college to train their staff how to install it & how to repair it. If/when there is an issue with your system, you call Valley Electric & they have one of their trained technicians come out to service the unit.

Variables evaluated to find out what size unit you need include:
* modular or stick built house
* how many occupants
* # of sinks/toilets/baths/showers
* sq footage of home

This is a no money down, no interest loan. The loan payment is added to your monthly electric bill. If you sell the house, the loan stays with the house, it does not go with you. If you are well off, you can pay the bill outright, for those of us that live on a budget....the payments are reasonable (~$30/mo), spread out over 15 yrs.

There is a digital display on the hot water tank, which tells you how hot the water is inside the tank; how hot the water is on the roof; status of the system; etc. I have an 80 gallon tank installed. On the day I took the pictures of the control unit, it was:

8 am
47 degrees outside
71 degrees inside the tank
81 degrees on the roof

I LOVE my solar hot water heater. My bills are about the same as when I didn't have it installed & as soon as I have the loan paid off (only 145 payments to go!), my bill will be reduced
Attached Thumbnails
Nye County-dsc02532.jpg   Nye County-dsc02533.jpg   Nye County-dsc02534.jpg   Nye County-dsc02545.jpg   Nye County-solar-heater.jpg  

Nye County-solar-heater1.jpg  

Old 03-10-2013, 04:35 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
That is awesome! Great idea!

Old 03-11-2013, 03:22 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,071 times
Cre8lite thank you for all your posts and photos. I have been to Pahrump and you are providing lots of info.

We really like Mesquite and there are almost no posts on Mesquite. I wish there was someone like you from Mesquite.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:42 PM

^^ yw. Pahrump & Mesquite are close in size, the main difference is Mesquite is incorporated & there's no way in heck Pahrump wants that. I'm not sure if their population is mostly retired? I know they have lots of golf courses....

Personally? I'd still pick Pahrump over Mesquite, only because our mountains are closer & prettier. I am envious they have a movie theater tho ;P

Old 03-12-2013, 10:00 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,071 times
We spent a week in Mesquite in December. Everyone we met was retired and they all said they loved living there. They said the first summer was hard, of course, but then they got used to the heat. We will see. We are still in the exploring stage. Thanks again for your Pahrump info, very interesting. I think Pahrump is more independent and Mesquite is more HOA, master planned community type place. Not saying one is better than another just very different.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:57 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,777 times
Default Pahrump Internet providers

We have an offer in on a home there and thought I'd start doing my homework! Who are the internet providers there now? Any that aren't too high priced? Also how about the best deals/coverage for home/auto? Thanks

Old 03-15-2013, 12:41 PM

^^^Woo hoo! Congrats!! Pahrump's internet providers are (* depending on location):

- CMA*
- AT&T*
- WaveDirect
- Air Internet
- Verizon has a "home fusion broadband", haven't tried it or heard good/bad about it yet
- Above all else, stay away from HughesNet. I had baaaaaaad experience with them

As for home/auto insurance....I *highly* recommend AAA. We have a handful of other insurance companies here in town - State Farm, American Family, etc.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:17 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
^^^Woo hoo! Congrats!! Pahrump's internet providers are (* depending on location):

- CMA*
- AT&T*
- WaveDirect
- Air Internet
- Verizon has a "home fusion broadband", haven't tried it or heard good/bad about it yet
- Above all else, stay away from HughesNet. I had baaaaaaad experience with them

As for home/auto insurance....I *highly* recommend AAA. We have a handful of other insurance companies here in town - State Farm, American Family, etc.
Thanks.. I had American Family when I lived there before. I'll check out AAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada