Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 07:20 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,566,733 times

Advertisements

Garo: Byakuya no Maju - YouTube

Old 10-20-2013, 11:11 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,356,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
Vampyr (1932), directed by Carl Theodor Dreyer. CTD directed The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928), an outstanding silent film - if I had a list this would be one of my top movies. Someone accidently exposed one of the reels and it got a washed out look. CTD viewed it and wanted all of the reels exposed in the same way to get the same effect. You'll see it. No gore, no CGI, just a well made film perfect for a halloween viewing. Keep an eye out for the shadows in this one. Two (2) thumbs up.
Thanks for that, f2. I saw some stills from Vampyr on Amazon & it's quite haunting looking... I like the story of the accidental effects. Where do you get films this old? Library videos or DVD? I was just curious if you saw Vampyr, in particular, on DVD & if it included commentaries? Sometimes I enjoy the commentaries more than the movies. On Amazon, it doesn't say, only that there's a bonus 1930s animated film... & it's over $30!

The YT clip is interesting. I have to be in the mood for it, but I quite like that old time stage acting transferred to film.

Here's one of the over-exposed stills. Eerie.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:44 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,798,787 times
I'm currently watching The Sessions.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:25 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,709,074 times
Although I've seen it several times I just watched "Gladiator" again.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:11 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,392,556 times
Friends with Benefits - funny and sweet but also very predictable.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:56 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,808,968 times
"The Bling Ring"- what a bunch of drug crazed idiots.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:52 AM

126,304 posts, read 19,086,256 times
We watched a 2012 Hindi movie called ''Talaash'' about a cop, investigating the mysterious death of a film star. Very well acted and highly recommended.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:26 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,160,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Thanks for that, f2. I saw some stills from Vampyr on Amazon & it's quite haunting looking... I like the story of the accidental effects. Where do you get films this old? Library videos or DVD?
PatanjaliTwist, no worries, glad I could help. I first heard about it on another forum, a heads up thread that it was coming up on TCM (Turner Classic Movies, sorry, I think there may be a few people who have not heard of it ). So I caught only a few minutes and thought, I've got to see this. So I searched netflix dvd and sure enough, they had it so that's how I got the disc. It is a Criterion Collection, so yes, there is a commentary. Check this thread out on the criterion collection forum:

437 Vampyr
Quote:
New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the 1998 film restoration by Martin Koerber and the Cineteca di Bologna
• Optional all-new English-text version of the film
• Audio commentary featuring film scholar Tony Rayns
Carl Th. Dreyer (1966), a documentary by Jörgen Roos chronicling Dreyer’s career
• Visual essay by scholar Casper Tybjerg on Dreyer’s influences in creating Vampyr
• A 1958 radio broadcast of Dreyer reading an essay about filmmaking
• New and improved English subtitle translation
• PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Mark Le Fanu and Kim Newman, Koerber on the restoration, and a 1964 interview with producer and star Nicolas de Gunzburg, as well as a book featuring Dreyer and Christen Jul's original screenplay and Sheridan Le Fanu 1872 story "Carmilla," a source for the film
It's a double disc, so I only got 1 disc with my netflix rental. Now I think I should buy it! Lots of extras, but that's par for the course with Criterion Collection. Always first rate.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:17 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,356,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
It is a Criterion Collection, so yes, there is a commentary. Check this thread out on the criterion collection forum. It's a double disc. Lots of extras, but that's par for the course with Criterion Collection. Always first rate.
Great, thank you for all the info, F2 & the link. And, I didn't know anything about Criterion, so I'm glad for the info.

Great news there's a commentary by a film scholar (professors, critics)... those are my favorites, because they look at all aspects of the film & often have interesting tidbits of not commonly known info, with which to titillate listeners. The director's commentaries are normally wonderful, as well (especially Michael Mann, because they talk continually & add nuances as to why they shot a certain scene in a particular way, how the location is important, why it was necessary to use a certain actor/color/dialogue/prop/location).

The most awful ones are the writers (they seem to think each & every one of their words & sentences is an utter masterpiece, so only speak of their finished product... bloody boring), actors (they're mezmorized with themselves, so are quiet & just watch themselves onscreen or think they're too cool for school & do a lot of inside-joking around, which leaves the audience out of the commentary process) & anyone behind the scenes, from the makeup dept, costumers or cameramen, etc. (they're too shy & need to be prodded to speak, not offering much to enhance our knowledge of behind of the scenes process).

I sometimes dislike a movie, but love the commentary. In all actuality, I've only heard a few commentaries which were utter bores. The vast majority are quite interesting.

Thanks again!

Old 10-21-2013, 06:05 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,872,031 times
I last watched REAL GENIUS - 1985

EXCELLENT/SUPERB MOVIE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.