Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2021, 10:39 AM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Deaths in well-vaccinated Massachusetts. I looked up the graph on google and I don’t see any significant increase in deaths.

And we don’t know that the death curve will follow in the same way as before. You would think only if you believe the vaccine is 100% ineffective. All available evidence suggests the vaccine helps prevent death. Of course if you are allowed to say “Delta variant” to make all existing data mean meaningless (despite existing Delta variant data also saying that the vaccine is effective at preventing death).

And again, you act like it’s either I’m ok with all possible restrictions or I am ok with everyone dying. There is LOTS of room in the middle. I know that hardware limiting all cars to. 10mph would dramatically reduce car deaths, but I don’t someone who thinks that’s a bad idea is basically a mass-murderer.
I don't have the desire to just keep going back and forth with you, it's pointless. But you are just way off base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 10:41 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I know there are plenty of people denying the deaths. I know plenty who say it was the underlying issues and not the covid. At the end of day though no one can control this virus. People have to be responsible for themselves.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:42 AM

199 posts, read 67,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
You can state anything you like, but I can't agree that the upward trend in deaths is insignificant - it's nearly doubled. Moreover, we know it *will* follow the trend in hospitalizations and cases that's out ahead of it - that's not rocket science to figure out. Cases are already up by 8x.

There are already over 600,000 Americans dead. There will be far more dead from Covid-19 over the course of the next year. You may find it acceptable, but I don't.
The 7 day average for Covid using date of death is 4.1 in MA.

Around 170 people die every day in MA. The CDC defines excess deaths as +5% of the expected number. (i.e. 8.5). So MA is under the threshold.

Also in 2016 (the last year I could find data for) there were an average of 14 deaths per day from respiratory conditions. Did you find that acceptable?

Old 07-31-2021, 10:46 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
I'm thinking we might have more serious questions on larger events. The big e has a ton of musical acts this year and farm aid is coming back to Hartford. Hampden and Hartford counties are in the CDC red list. Two multi day events at the same time... I don't know

Old 07-31-2021, 10:47 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
Quote:
I don't have the desire to just keep going back and forth with you, it's pointless. But you are just way off base.
You have no response so instead of explaining how I’m off base you’re just going to claim that it’s obvious. I get it. How am I off base? Vaccines aren’t effective?

Old 07-31-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'm thinking we might have more serious questions on larger events. The big e has a ton of musical acts this year and farm aid is coming back to Hartford. Hampden and Hartford counties are in the CDC red list. Two multi day events at the same time... I don't know
Why would we want to cancel these events?

The only thing this might achieve is slowing the spread but for what purpose?

Give more time for another variant to arise? Develop an updated vaccine that 30% of the population will refuse to take?

The only way out of this is for the unvaccinated to get the virus and get some natural immunity. As long as the hospitals can cope, we should no nothing.

Old 07-31-2021, 11:48 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
There was never a lockdown in the USA. What we did here was a half assed version of a stay at home mandate. No one stayed home. I went to work every single day. Went to stores , the beach , vacation. As did most everyone I know , whether they were family , friends , acquaintances or neighbors. This fallacy that there was a lockdown is ridiculous.

And masking most certainly does help to stop the spread of communicable diseases. I can’t fathom how certain sectors of our population believes otherwise. As a society we live in the Information Age, but yet as a whole seem to be dumber by the minute.
^Amen

Old 07-31-2021, 12:26 PM

3,373 posts, read 1,538,475 times
Quote:
Cases, hospitalizations and deaths are all trending up, and just in the order that you'd expect. Are you saying you don't mind increasing morbidity and mortality unless it gets worse than it's been at its peak?
As long its lower than the peak. Some of these people might of been dead in a month anyway. Don't forget it mostly effects the elderly. I guess I'd only be for restrictions if it gets as bad as the Spanish flu. I Need to be scared myself. Ebola freaks me out . When there was only a small amount in the united states with ebola I got paranoid. There is no doubt in my mind they were labeling the flu as covid. I don't believe in asymptomatic spread Dr fauci himself said asymptomatic people have never been the driving force of pandemics. Ya if I feel sick I'll stay home. If I tested positive for covid I would quarantine.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 07-31-2021 at 12:37 PM..

Old 07-31-2021, 12:41 PM

3,373 posts, read 1,538,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
^Amen
That's funny the podcast I listen too has a host who belongs to Mensa and he does not believe the masks work

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 07-31-2021 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-31-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
There was never a lockdown in the USA. What we did here was a half assed version of a stay at home mandate. No one stayed home. I went to work every single day. Went to stores , the beach , vacation. As did most everyone I know , whether they were family , friends , acquaintances or neighbors. This fallacy that there was a lockdown is ridiculous.

And masking most certainly does help to stop the spread of communicable diseases. I can’t fathom how certain sectors of our population believes otherwise. As a society we live in the Information Age, but yet as a whole seem to be dumber by the minute.
I agree that the lockdown in the US wasn't stringent but the statement "No one stayed home" is obviously false, why make a claim like that?

See JP Morgan coronavirus impact -> US pandemic economic impact tracker

Some highlights:
Hotel occupancy fell by 66%
Google & Apple transit fell by 50 to 80%
Office utilization rates by metro area (Based on keycard/fob data) to 10 to 30% of prior levels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts