Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 07:56 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Just to be clear, this is what we are calling the "second wave", correct?

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...y/south-korea/
More like ripple? 34 new cases for May 10th?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atta...1&d=1589205354
Attached Thumbnails
Coronavirus in Massachusetts-capture.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 08:08 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't wear a mask for me. But for you (collective plural).
Around here, the plural of you is pronounced “youze” and is completely unambiguous.

But yeah, I’m astounded at the poor critical thought process of the anti-mask people. It’s something along the lines of “It doesn’t protect me 100%, therefore, I refuse to wear one”. Incredibly self-centered.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:15 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Around here, the plural of you is pronounced “youze” and is completely unambiguous.

But yeah, I’m astounded at the poor critical thought process of the anti-mask people. It’s something along the lines of “It doesn’t protect me 100%, therefore, I refuse to wear one”. Incredibly self-centered.
I'm not surprised. I don't know if there's any thought process involved at all, actually (you're being too generous). Plain & simple: they're following the tone that's been set at the top, by the ones they follow as gospel.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:28 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I think a lot of people just don’t want to wear them. This is still very new. I don’t enjoy wearing one. I rarely go anywhere so I don’t have a huge need for one. I’m not saying I’m anti mask but I dislike them and I question whether wearing one outside on a walk is necessary. Inside in understand but it’s still an annoyance.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:41 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I'm seeing more and more people wearing them when I go out into public. A week ago, while getting gas i'd see maybe 1 person out of 4 or 5 wearing masks while getting gas. Yesterday, everyone had a mask on while pumping gas or going into the store.

My neighborhood is off the beaten path and has lot vehicle traffic, so it's a good walking neighborhood. We've seen a lot of people walking through. A week ago, most never had mask, now I frequently see people walking in groups all wearing masks.

Another observation I saw over the weekend. People would visit others, but park out front and pull out chairs or stand and stay 10 feet+ apart from each other wearing masks and having conversations.

I picked up food for Mother's day yesterday, and the act of food pickup now just seems strange to me wearing masks and other PPE.

In fact, I notice so many people wearing them now that I sometimes think I am the odd person out if I don't wear one...so I do. I still haven't quite figured out what to do in a drivethru. I just crack my window enough to pay with my phone and grab my coffee.

I've noticed the people not adhering to the mask policy are young people, who seem overly fashionable and concerned with appearance. All anecdotal of course.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:46 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I think a lot of people just don’t want to wear them. This is still very new. I don’t enjoy wearing one. I rarely go anywhere so I don’t have a huge need for one. I’m not saying I’m anti mask but I dislike them and I question whether wearing one outside on a walk is necessary. Inside in understand but it’s still an annoyance.
I think this would be most people. I don't like wearing mine either, but I'm getting used to it. But not liking masks because it's new and uncomfortable is different from the many who:
  • Insist masks don't help in spite of all of the evidence to the contrary because: Someone on YouTube said X,Y,Z.
  • Insist that wearing a mask will weaken the immune system because: Someone on YouTube said X,Y,Z.
  • Insist that wearing a mask is an attack on their personal freedoms
  • Insist that the entire COVID-19 pandemic is a liberal plot to control the population, take away civil rights, sway the presidential election, etc. because: Conspiracy theory websites/YouTube told them.
  • Insist that COVID-19 is a liberal hoax, intended to incite panic and turn the election because Conspiracy theory websites/YouTube told them.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:51 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Default Covid death and age

I am trying to understand some of the data that is coming out.
Per the latest data i have, there were 4702 covid related death
62% of that were aged 80+
60% of THAT occurred in nursing homes, so an aged AND sick population.
How do I find out how this compares with deaths from last year for the same aged population.
I am not a professional statistician or anything. Trying to settle an argument.
Thanks

Old 05-11-2020, 09:20 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Anecdotally, the groups I see who don't wear masks are Boomers of all genders and young men. Some elderly folks don't seem to know how to wear masks, such as wearing them under their nose, but I don't think that's intentional.

I visited my grandmother for the first time in 2 months for mother's day with the plan of talking to her out on the porch. I got there and my uncle was sitting in the kitchen less than 6 feet away from her with no mask. He told me that he won't wear a mask, not even to protect his 89 year old stepmother, because it's all a global hoax to destabilize the US economy and to stage a coup against Trump. He's been socializing this entire time with his other friends in his 50s and 60s, and brought all of that right into my grandmother's house. She doesn't totally get why it's not safe for her because "she knows him." I had to get my (fellow Millennial) cousins involved to try to modify his behavior around my grandmother. We were all livid.

I'd be really interested to see studies on who believes what. From my observations, the conspiracy theorists seem to be younger (30s-40s) while the selfish folks seem to be older.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:20 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
My cloth mask keeps slipping down my face.

Unless you have an N95 you're just fooling yourself. I only wear mine so I won't get lynched in public.

What a great way for the virtue signalers now to know who to attack.

It would just be easier if you self-actualized and moved to Mississippi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Just to be clear, this is what we are calling the "second wave", correct?

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...y/south-korea/

No, the second wave is going to be catastrophic. If you remove NYC's data, the rest of the US is still on its way up (check out Illinois), not down, so reopening things (which has already started) is going to be a disaster.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:23 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am trying to understand some of the data that is coming out.
Per the latest data i have, there were 4702 covid related death
62% of that were aged 80+
60% of THAT occurred in nursing homes, so an aged AND sick population.
How do I find out how this compares with deaths from last year for the same aged population.
I am not a professional statistician or anything. Trying to settle an argument.
Thanks
I don't know if there's data that goes into that level of detail. At least not publicly available. However the state does put together some pretty comprehensive death data with detailed annual breakdowns. Here's a link to what has to be the darkest page on Mass.gov: https://www.mass.gov/lists/death-data.

The state also puts out some detailed COVID-19 data every day. Here's the most recent: https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download - as of yesterday, there were 1,862 total COVID-19 deaths among people age 0-79.

Other notes:
  • In 2017, there were 58,844 total deaths in Massachusetts.
  • 1% of total deaths were from influenza & pneumonia - So about 588 deaths
  • Cancer and Heart disease were the leading causes of death in 2017 among all ages - combining for about 25,000 in MA. Unintentional Injuries was the third leading cause in 2017 with 3,913. COVID-19 deaths would replace that for the 3rd leading cause this year, and this is really only over the past 2 months - the 2017 death numbers are for the entire year.
  • In 2017 (most recent death report), there were just over 15,000 deaths in nursing homes in MA.
  • Among older populations, Influenza and Pneumonia were the 6th leading cause of death in 2017 killing 342 people between ages 75-84 and 791 ages 85+. In two months, COVID-19 has killed 3,117 people age 80+.
  • COVID-19 has been the leading daily cause of death in MA since early April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts