Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 03:49 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
That’s maddening. I can’t say I knew anyone who was collecting unemployment before this all happened though. I don’t even know anyone who has lost a job after it happened.
How is it possible that you don’t know anyone who lost their job since early March? My girlfriend furloughed half her staff across several hospitals and took a pay cut. Everyone I know who works at a resort is unemployed. Most restaurant employees. Most retail employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 06:04 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Im related to a number of individuals who are first responders, nurses, doctors, and manage a nursing home. They are telling me (separately) that it has happened and is happening. Enough proof for me
But that is not proof. I say that because I know even my own profession is endlessly self serving.

Quote:
I'm a MGH cancer patient; they had me skip bloodwork one month, but insisted I come back last week. Now I get to wait another two months again. I'm taking chemo pills and an estrogen blocker.
This is the thing that gets me. People with serious issues are being put off. When all is said and done people are going to needlessly pass over this hysteria from other issues just because medical providers won't see them.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:15 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Im confused. So what is the $600 on top of? People who were already on unemployment are getting extra unemployment now? That makes no sense.
Part of the stimulus bill was an extra $600 a week from the federal government on top of what the state's were offering. So some folks in low unemployment insurance states are earning more than they were while working. Money for votes??

Old 04-20-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I was actually thinking about dentists today. They are open right ? I’m not sure because I was supposed to have a tooth removed on March 25 and the dental practice called me to cancel but they’re on a university campus. I think some dentists are open for emergencies? I can’t imagine most people would want to be going for a 6 month cleaning or teeth whitening procedure at a time like this.

Salons must really be hurting as well. I have a skin check in May but not sure it will be happening. Skin cancer oh well... apparently that’s not as bad as corona.
My derm has reached out and cancelled my skin check. They plan on rescheduling appointments based on needs - in practice surgery and recovery first, skin checks next, cosmetic procedures last.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I have an appointment for a salon on May 5th. They e-mailed me this weekend and told me to make one so I think maybe they know something.
I believe they are being optimistic with your appointment. IMHO, salons won't be opening until June 1.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:20 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
But that is not proof. I say that because I know even my own profession is endlessly self serving.

This is the thing that gets me. People with serious issues are being put off. When all is said and done people are going to needlessly pass over this hysteria from other issues just because medical providers won't see them.
You do realize you're denying one anecdote which does not serve your narrative, while hoisting up another anecdote which does serve your narrative, right?

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-st...downsize=360:*

Old 04-20-2020, 06:26 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
How is it possible that you don’t know anyone who lost their job since early March? My girlfriend furloughed half her staff across several hospitals and took a pay cut. Everyone I know who works at a resort is unemployed. Most restaurant employees. Most retail employees.
Even my capital gains crew is b___ing that their dividends were cut. No stone unturned, unless you're an Amazon fullfillment worker.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:26 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:

There’s a big difference between skipping a monthly blood test for an immune-compromised patient in the middle of a pandemic and refusing to provide critical medical care. Your rhetoric doesn’t align with the reality. The reality is that patients in need of critical care aren’t going to the hospital because they’re afraid of COVID-19. The usual heart attack, stroke, and appendicitis cases have pretty much stopped. People perceive that it’s higher risk to go to a hospital than to suffer at home.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:40 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I think I know more people affected by this downturn right now than the total number of people I knew who were unemployed during the '09 downturn. This one definitely hits closer to home.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:51 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
John Hopkin's county map really makes me understand why some of the flyover states want to reopen.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts