Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2020, 12:00 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times

Advertisements

Im kind of annoyed that this has turned into a race issue now. Regardless of what color you are stay home. It’s not just black and Hispanic who have jobs where they can’t stay home either. Seems like that has been the hot topic over the past few days. America’s obsession with race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 12:04 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Im kind of annoyed that this has turned into a race issue now. Regardless of what color you are stay home. It’s not just black and Hispanic who have jobs where they can’t stay home either. Seems like that has been the hot topic over the past few days. America’s obsession with race.

America has an obsession with race because our outcomes are impacted by our race. We're seeing this in action now.

Sorry that you're annoyed, but I mean, I'd be more annoyed if my risk of comorbidities was because of the way society interacts with me due to the color of my skin. Lemme guess - you're white?

Old 04-10-2020, 12:06 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Lemme guess - you're white?
What are you?

Old 04-10-2020, 12:07 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Were you annoyed when people discussed the higher death rates among the elderly? How is this any different? It's a discussion about different demographics being impacted differently by COVID-19. It's still an "everybody" issue, but it's fair game to talk about how it impacts different populations regardless of whether it's age, gender, race, etc. Seems like whenever someone mentions the word "race, "some people get easily triggered.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:11 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Were you annoyed when people discussed the higher death rates among the elderly? How is this any different? It's a discussion about different demographics being impacted differently by COVID-19. It's still an "everybody" issue, but it's fair game to talk about how it impacts different populations regardless of whether it's age, gender, race, etc. Seems like whenever someone mentions the word "race" and some people get easily triggered.

It is especially curious that people that so often complain about "everything being about race" so often bring up race, ethnicity or national origin so frequently, either overtly or covertly. Deep irony.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:12 PM

The elderly were more at risk because of their fragile immune systems. They’re more at risk for many diseases.

It’s been said that black/Hispanics often have jobs where they’re essential employees and can’t stay home. What else is there to investigate? They’re not practicing social distancing so they’re going to be more likely to catch it. Nothing more to discuss.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:13 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
In addition to what timberline said, I still think you're making the question too individual and personal. Even if there was a way to assess every single person individually for whether or not they're worth saving (there isn't), in the crisis at hand there simply isn't enough time for a doctor to sit down and run someone through a database to find out if that individual is "worthy" of keeping on a ventilator.

As such, the best we can do in such a situation is to make generalized decisions based on previously assigned criteria that has the statistically best chance of a net positive outcome, which is what was proposed. It's nothing personal against old people or fat people or any other people who didn't get picked.

I don't understand why this seems like such nonsense to you. As sawyer pointed out, this is nothing new.
Whoa...you are criticizing my post and then repeating what I said - that's the first time I've had anyone do that. I was not 'making it personal' I was discounting the suggestion of other people who were talking about nonsense like refusing to put a 20 year old meth addict on a ventilator.

This is what I was calling nonsense:

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
The "bad hombres" will be what one person perceives as someone wholly undeserving of a ventilator or other scarce resource that will get one because there won't be checks done that satisfy that person's concerns.

And really, there is no level of screening that ever will satisfy everyone. There'll always be someone who felt they or someone they knew got unfairly shafted.

My guess, based on the proposed prioritizations, is that the focus is on people who, should they survive, pose the highest chance of continued contribution to general society, including biological opportunity cost. Very few 60+ year olds will be procreating anymore, and many won't be working much longer. Saving the life of a 25 or 35 year old person isn't just a matter of survivability of that individual, but also of that individual to produce other individuals in the future and/or be a working member of society for decades to come.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:15 PM

Lol. I just typed in Boston coronavirus on google and every article that came up was about how race is a factor.

Mayor Walsh also had to zip tie the basket ball nets in Dorchester, Hyde park, and mattapan last week because he was frustrated people weren’t practicing social distancing. Now this week it’s oops more blacks and Hispanics are getting this.

Maybe the basketball playing guys brought it home to the family members they live with.

Let’s see if people this weekend actually stay away from their families. It’s Easter.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Were you annoyed when people discussed the higher death rates among the elderly? How is this any different? It's a discussion about different demographics being impacted differently by COVID-19. It's still an "everybody" issue, but it's fair game to talk about how it impacts different populations regardless of whether it's age, gender, race, etc. Seems like whenever someone mentions the word "race, "some people get easily triggered.
No people get annoyed when some try to simplify a matter as complex as that, and promote an us vs. them mindset. Especially when it comes from the perspective of a white person who cannot possibly walk in the same shoes as a racial minority. Point is, we are all in this together and the way we defeat it is the same regardless of your skin color. COVID-19 is the enemy, not each other.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It is especially curious that people that so often complain about "everything being about race" so often bring up race, ethnicity or national origin so frequently, either overtly or covertly. Deep irony.
Oh tell me about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts