Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 07:37 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah, that would be the peak of the storm. If it's as intense as some make it there will be delays.

We'll know a little more within 24hrs but I would have a backup plan. Worse comes to worse you'll be delayed not cancelled.

Just a reminder for everyone, I'm hopinhg to condense everything about this storm here. https://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...noreaster.html

Lets hope its nothing "as usual". A normal Rain and wind event.
He shouldn't have any trouble flying commercially. Even flying in my plane would not be a problem since the winds isn't more than 30 kts and the FZLVL is suppose to be at 8000ft. Whether wind is a problem depends on what angle to the runway it is blowing.

A wind gusting to 35-40 kts is no problem in what I fly as long as it is closely parallel to the runway. Taxing is actually the most challenging aspect in strong winds like that!!

On the other hand, a crosswind blowing across the runway that strong would certainly make me cancel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:51 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Lol.

I hate to be the one who said I told you so. How did I do that 24 hrs in advance – because all the forecasters are “hoping for a lot rain” rather than actually seeing a lot of rain in the forecast. Not surprised at all.

I was watching Gil Simons and I know he is burning up that it has been so warm and sunny this spring in the Tri-State area. He tries to play up any chance of rain with icons that show an all day have rain (and temps in the low 50’s for highs)…yet by the next day he (or another forecaster) shows the rain icon gone or changed to partly cloudy, and the highs back into the 60’s (he showed low/mid 70’s next week). There is a big difference between what he hopes the weather will be and what it will really be.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...... ooopssssss

Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
He shouldn't have any trouble flying commercially. Even flying in my plane would not be a problem since the winds isn't more than 30 kts and the FZLVL is suppose to be at 8000ft. Whether wind is a problem depends on what angle to the runway it is blowing.

A wind gusting to 35-40 kts is no problem in what I fly as long as it is closely parallel to the runway. Taxing is actually the most challenging aspect in strong winds like that!!

On the other hand, a crosswind blowing across the runway that strong would certainly make me cancel.
lol. Never cease to amaze me. I was going to mention you saying papafox will fly you out. LOL! You better take some nice pics if you go up.

MID LEVEL JET OF 50-60KTS. Be careful cause the gradients can tighten up quick. This wont be a straight wind either, it's going to be a spinning low.

I thinking maybe an hour delay between the downpours and wind but I'm not an aviation guy. Glad you chimed in.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
lol. Never cease to amaze me. I was going to mention you saying papafox will fly you out. LOL! You better take some nice pics if you go up.

MID LEVEL JET OF 50-60KTS. Be careful cause the gradients can tighten up quick. This wont be a straight wind either, it's going to be a spinning low.

I thinking maybe an hour delay between the downpours and wind but I'm not an aviation guy. Glad you chimed in.
Funny you mentioned that. I remember 2 different flights (11/13/09 and 12/12/10) where the winds were howling at 60-65 kts at the 2000ft level. (Sfc winds were gusting to around 30 kts right down the runway both times).

Both times we had moderate turbulence, but nothing near what one would call severe. To tell you the truth in all my 500 hrs of flight time, I've never been in what is officially severe turbulence. Some of my passengers would probably call it severe

The Nov of 09 flight we broke out of the clouds on the approach at just 400 ft which was fun as heck! 6 miles from the airport that flight as I started my final approach segment, I was only doing 37 kts over the ground!!

Hell, I've been faster than that on my bicycle!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 PM

308 posts, read 680,163 times
Wavehunter does it again! Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...... ooopssssss

Old 04-21-2012, 12:23 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,812 times
w-t-f

When will these weather guys ever get it right??

ALL of my weather stuff yesterday said rain yesterday, all of today, all of tomorrow, etc.

It did not rain yesterday at all, it hasn't rained at all today!! I totally cancelled plans to put the boat in and rushed my ass off doing yard work yesterday after work based on that forecast... now I have a slight burn from riding around with the top down!!

Old 04-21-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
w-t-f

When will these weather guys ever get it right??

ALL of my weather stuff yesterday said rain yesterday, all of today, all of tomorrow, etc.

It did not rain yesterday at all, it hasn't rained at all today!! I totally cancelled plans to put the boat in and rushed my ass off doing yard work yesterday after work based on that forecast... now I have a slight burn from riding around with the top down!!
rain yesterday and today? Thats a first. Everything pointed to a Saturday evening start. Only thing I might have seen was a "chance" of "showers". When you see chance with showers that means drizzle or nothing or very here and there.

The cold front is slowing down now and thats why it wont start this evening but will start tonight. There's no escaping the rain tomorrow and Monday and thats pretty much all I knew about for a week.

Also, look at the percentages if a forecast calls for a chance. If its under 30% you know the odds are towards nothing.

Sorry you cancelled plans, I would have said keep them. If you go on the boat tomorrow, take pics for us.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:53 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
What a beautiful day it is today. I'm glad I got a chance to get out and enjoy it.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:27 PM

Flood watches out for CT. Gale force for coastal areas.

Winter Storm Watches for PA/NY with up to a foot of snow. Leaves came out too early for them too.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:28 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut