Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 07:04 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,359,673 times

Advertisements

There is no escaping the drought situation I guess:

As of today… 29 NWS stations rank in the top 20 for driest year-to-date and 6 rank as their driest. Connecticut, parts of NJ, and NYC are right in the cente, as are parts of Delaware and Mass. Parts of eastern Long Island and southeast Connecticut seem to be the near the driest of all:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 08:22 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,897 times
This may be a dumb question, but why is precipitation measured on a calendar year, and not on a rolling 12 month basis? I see all these numbers about how we have a rainfall defecit for the year, but that's not the case if you look at the past 12 months.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
This may be a dumb question, but why is precipitation measured on a calendar year, and not on a rolling 12 month basis? I see all these numbers about how we have a rainfall defecit for the year, but that's not the case if you look at the past 12 months.
Good point.

If we had a normal amount of precipitation this calendar year, we would have had oversaturated soils and high river levels. While we may be in drought conditions, the previous years rainfall helped a lot at preventing it from being more severe.

While, it might be hard for us to get back to normal precipitation levels; we don't really need to and a bit below average is a minor issue compared to drought levels. So if this rainstorm and more in the future keep aren't enough to get us back to normal levels that could be OK as long as we don't have any long rainless periods.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
HPC's track has shifted to the east:
Hopefully 1'' of precip isn't too much to ask for in NH. The GFS has shifted east for sure, I will check the NAM at 11:30AM.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:29 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Great question!
Here's the departure from normal for a 12 month period. Notice Hartford into MA is still 12"+ above normal! No drought there.

I think they base it off current monthly numbers only as opposed to accruing. So the more weeks and months will less than normal, the more you'll see drought status. As it rains it slowly disapears.

but yes, thanks for bringing this up. Maybe too much hype about the drought lately when we're all still above normal for past 12 months. It's probably why I've mowed my lawn 4 times already. Its very green and I contribute it to an extremely wet year last year..

Also to add.. No snow pack over winter cause the ground to dry up more than usual but they dont factor that into the "drought status"

Edit: then again, between ground absorption and evaporation last years precip is mostly gone.

Last edited by Cambium; 04-19-2012 at 10:45 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Great question!
Here's the departure from normal for a 12 month period. Notice Hartford into MA is still 12"+ above normal! No drought there.

I think they base it off current monthly numbers only as opposed to accruing. So the more weeks and months will less than normal, the more you'll see drought status. As it rains it slowly disapears.
Eh. Well we've had fire weather watches / red flag warning for the last month and a half, so short term means something.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Eh. Well we've had fire weather watches / red flag warning for the last month and a half, so short term means something.
See my edit at the bottom.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
GFS has shifted slightly west with the storm track, temps look closer to average over the next 1-2 weeks. The negative NAO and AO seem to signal a pattern shift along with the PNA flipping to positive. If one examines the model runs you can see more ridging overall in the West and Pacific with weaker storms and more of a downstream trough.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 PM

12z Runs are out.

NAM - slightly East but its in its long range.
GFS - Moved slightly west giving us some rain from it now.

NOGAPS - See 1st pic
Euro - See 2 pics after. Standing firm with its bomb and deserves a and a . 10-15" of snow for NY, PA, Great Lakes area.

So we have 2 models with ton of rain. 2 models with a little rain.

NOGAPS- Rain for us, Snow for Great Lakes and backend snow down to coast.

EURO - Coastal Bomb. Ton of rain. Blizzard for Great lakes and Central NY/PA.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 PM

So again... my question is..What is the Euro seeing??? Apparently something is making it turn into a monster coastal storm and a heavy snow event northwest of us.

Man that trough digs, phases, and storm blows up. NorthWest winds will chill the air. That setup looks like December to me.

the 850 line is just west of the PA/NJ line...surface temps during the whole thing range from 35-37 at the beginning to 31-34 during the meat of the storm for them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut