Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 05:53 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times

Advertisements

I stand corrected.

Bypass on track for November opening - Daily Reflector

Also noted in the article is that work to upgrade US-264 to interstate standards between the Wilson/Greene county line and Greenville won't begin until September 2020.

Quote:
Next year, DOT also is scheduled to begin work to bring U.S. 264 from Pitt to Wilson counties up to interstate standards as part of a project to establish the new I-587. That work is to begin in September 2020.

Last edited by LM117; 09-03-2019 at 06:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 06:25 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I still question the need for the roundabout on 102. I believe it's nothing more than a very expensive speed bump that the town demanded.

There are a lot of people that believe that the bypass will bring much happy-happy joy-joy to Ayden.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:47 PM

217 posts, read 236,036 times
Even if the bypass doesn't bring the flood of business Ayden thinks it may (in full agreement with you there @Richard Martin), the roundabout still channels traffic in a predictable manner. If an intersection isn't busy, people ain't gonna stop. A traffic light or stop sign creates a condition of noncompliance, whereas the roundabout at least acknowledges that people are going to keep moving and directs it in a responsible manner.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:28 PM

327 posts, read 603,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Thank goodness, because I’m going to be using the hell out of that road. Can’t wait!

Old 09-03-2019, 08:50 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times
I do think there will business that will be brought into this side of the county and along the corridor. There are already many residential developments along Stantonsburg Rd / Davenport Rd / Forlines Rd/ Old 264. A person living along this corridor could conceivably hop on the new bypass and get to a restaurant or grocery store in Ayden faster and easier than trying to get into Greenville to go to the same type of place. I think there is definitely some appeal to that.

Just remember, there was a point in time not long ago that Firetower road had single lanes and pretty much zero development. I think it will be a plus for the communities & towns along the corridor.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Just remember, there was a point in time not long ago that Firetower road had single lanes and pretty much zero development. I think it will be a plus for the communities & towns along the corridor.
You can't compare Firetower to the SWB. Firetower was built as a boulevard with the intention of having development built along it. The SWB is built as an Interstate with very limited access and a 70 MPH speed limit.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:40 PM

217 posts, read 236,036 times
Quote:
Myth: Bypasses are an economic development tool that will increase the tax base.
Reality: The actual impact of bypasses on the economy of small communities is mixed. The economies of smaller
communities (<2000 population) are more likely to be adversely impacted by a bypass.
https://www.cutr.usf.edu/wp-content/...chure-2014.pdf

When the the best a DOT can say is "impact...is mixed," you know it's not actually good for the community. They'll recast data any way they can to be positive and justify their budgets.

Bypasses are about intermodal transportation and freight movement, which is great from a macro-level perspective, but we don't have the warehousing infrastructure or proximity to primary transportation networks and/or ports to bring those benefits down to the local level.

At the local level, expect more of exactly what we've seen elsewhere--a shift of economic gravity from downtowns to the new bypass. You get development on the new road, but at great cost to the old centers of business in the community. Net development is neutral.

This won't be a death blow to Winterville/Ayden downtowns, but it's "death by a thousand cuts" for two towns that desperately need more people driving and walking downtown, not less.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
Even if the bypass doesn't bring the flood of business Ayden thinks it may (in full agreement with you there @Richard Martin), the roundabout still channels traffic in a predictable manner. If an intersection isn't busy, people ain't gonna stop. A traffic light or stop sign creates a condition of noncompliance, whereas the roundabout at least acknowledges that people are going to keep moving and directs it in a responsible manner.
I don't think anybody is catching on to what I'm saying. There is no real intersection where the roundabout is. Ivy Rd and Mills Rd are an intersection. Portertown Rd and East Firetower Road are an intersection. The road that meets with NC 102 at the roundabout doesn't even have a name. There is nothing there but dirt.

It's just like the new 4 lane divided median Laurie Ellis Rd. extension. Why?

Old 09-05-2019, 05:49 AM

275 posts, read 330,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I don't think anybody is catching on to what I'm saying. There is no real intersection where the roundabout is. Ivy Rd and Mills Rd are an intersection. Portertown Rd and East Firetower Road are an intersection. The road that meets with NC 102 at the roundabout doesn't even have a name. There is nothing there but dirt.

It's just like the new 4 lane divided median Laurie Ellis Rd. extension. Why?

Maybe they're going to widen Laurie Ellis in the future?

Old 09-05-2019, 08:13 AM

455 posts, read 527,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
https://www.cutr.usf.edu/wp-content/...chure-2014.pdf

When the the best a DOT can say is "impact...is mixed," you know it's not actually good for the community. They'll recast data any way they can to be positive and justify their budgets.

Bypasses are about intermodal transportation and freight movement, which is great from a macro-level perspective, but we don't have the warehousing infrastructure or proximity to primary transportation networks and/or ports to bring those benefits down to the local level.

At the local level, expect more of exactly what we've seen elsewhere--a shift of economic gravity from downtowns to the new bypass. You get development on the new road, but at great cost to the old centers of business in the community. Net development is neutral.

This won't be a death blow to Winterville/Ayden downtowns, but it's "death by a thousand cuts" for two towns that desperately need more people driving and walking downtown, not less.
I understand the cautionary tale and I think leaders should give much thought to these types of projects and the type of development that is planned around them. However neither Ayden nor Winterville are >2000 people. They're also in proximity to a much larger Greenville and county of 200k. I'm not a transportation professional but isn't the by-pass and quad east about "improving proximity to primary transportation networks and/or ports to bring those benefits down to the local level"? Developing seamless connectivity from the MHC port to the transpark to the capital, possibly even to Norfolk eventually feels like improved infrastructure making the area appealing to industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina