Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 01:44 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,009,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
I'm not saying we should get all of the credit, but we did play a huge role in shaping American culture. Ultimately, it was white folks and other groups who built a larger part of this country. However, Blacks not only built a large of this country, but more importantly, it was our cultural contributions blacks that help give this country an unique identity that would distinguish us from the British. An identity that would eventually be known as American Culture.
Very, very, very true.

Without African-Americans, the United States would probably just be Southern Canada. Real talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 01:50 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,397,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Detroit has played a MAJOR role in African American history and culture, no doubt. I tend to think that it actually doesn't get the credit it deserves in this regard.
yea. I thinks its because people think the only thing we contributed was Motown. Motown was a MAJOR part in AA and Detroit cultures no doubt but we also have a nice lists of black politicians, actors, athletes, civil rights activists as well. Many people probly didn't know Ralph Bunche the first AA to recieve the nobel prize was from Detroit or Wallace Fard Muhammad was the founder of the NOI and was from Detroit. the NOI played a large role in AA culture for a while. Most people just credit everything with the Nation to Chicago without knowing it started here.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:57 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,879,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
yea. I thinks its because people think the only thing we contributed was Motown. Motown was a MAJOR part in AA and Detroit cultures no doubt but we also have a nice lists of black politicians, actors, athletes, civil rights activists as well. Many people probly didn't know Ralph Bunche the first AA to recieve the nobel prize was from Detroit or Wallace Fard Muhammad was the founder of the NOI and was from Detroit. the NOI played a large role in AA culture for a while. Most people just credit everything with the Nation to Chicago without knowing it started here.
Very true. Both R&B and Gospel music can find its roots in Detroit, and the city via the automobile factories historically did more than just about any other city to propel Blacks to the middle class.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:01 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,009,875 times
Quote:
Detroit has played a MAJOR role in African American history and culture, no doubt. I tend to think that it actually doesn't get the credit it deserves in this regard.
That's true, and it does deserve credit. I think the reason why it doesn't get as much as it does, and the reason it is not cited as a Black Capital/Mecca is because of the events around the 1967 Detroit Uprising(It wasn't a riot). Despite not being in the South, segregation was a very real problem in Detroit from the Great Depression on. By the time the 60s came around, the city was in a near police state not because of crime but because the city decided that it would crack down on African-Americans who were wanting to assert their rights more and more.

One very telling story of just how bad the situation was from Martha Reeves (of Martha and the Vandellas fame) said that the police would even go so far as to break up (or arrest) any group of Black kids hanging out on a corner or a stoop even if they were just chatting or singing. The pressure built and built, and when the Police decided to raid a African-American bar where two GIs from Vietnam vets were celebrating (apparently just for kicks) a full scale revolt erupted.

By the time it was over, 43 people were dead, 467 were injured, thousands were arrested, hundreds of stores and houses were destroyed by the fires, and it was pretty much the first nail in the coffin for Detroit as it went on it's deep economic and population slide through the 70s, 80s, and 90s. You should really check out the BBC's "Requiem for Detroit" documentary on Youtube. It tells the story in much more detail.

Now, if none of that had happened and the city was able to come out of the Segregation era without any trouble, then I am convinced it would be probably the de facto Black Capital or at least duke it out with Atlanta and DC for the spot. Something truly beautiful could have happened there as African-Americans were largely middle class thanks to jobs at the car companies. But alas, history had other plans unfortunately...

Old 10-15-2010, 02:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,879,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's true, and it does deserve credit. I think the reason why it doesn't get as much as it does, and the reason it is not cited as a Black Capital/Mecca is because of the events around the 1967 Detroit Uprising(It wasn't a riot). Despite not being in the South, segregation was a very real problem in Detroit from the Great Depression on. By the time the 60s came around, the city was in a near police state not because of crime but because the city decided that it would crack down on African-Americans who were wanting to assert their rights more and more.

One very telling story of just how bad the situation was from Martha Reeves (of Martha and the Vandellas fame) said that the police would even go so far as to break up (or arrest) any group of Black kids hanging out on a corner or a stoop even if they were just chatting or singing. The pressure built and built, and when the Police decided to raid a African-American bar where two GIs from Vietnam vets were celebrating (apparently just for kicks) a full scale revolt erupted.

By the time it was over, 43 people were dead, 467 were injured, thousands were arrested, hundreds of stores and houses were destroyed by the fires, and it was pretty much the first nail in the coffin for Detroit as it went on it's deep economic and population slide through the 70s, 80s, and 90s. You should really check out the BBC's "Requiem for Detroit" documentary on Youtube. It tells the story in much more detail.

Now, if none of that had happened and the city was able to come out of the Segregation era without any trouble, then I am convinced it would be probably the de facto Black Capital or at least duke it out with Atlanta and DC for the spot. Something truly beautiful could have happened there as African-Americans were largely middle class thanks to jobs at the car companies. But alas, history had other plans unfortunately...
Wow man, that's good info; thanks for sharing that. I'm still rooting for Detroit's comeback though.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:13 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,397,112 times
Quote:
Very true. Both R&B and Gospel music can find its roots in Detroit, and the city via the automobile factories historically did more than just about any other city to propel Blacks to the middle class.
true at one point of time Detroit had some of the wealthiest blacks in the nation. The 67 riots combined with white flight, the crack epidemic and years of corrupt politicans is what put us in the position we're in now.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:11 PM

320 posts, read 718,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
true at one point of time Detroit had some of the wealthiest blacks in the nation. The 67 riots combined with white flight, the crack epidemic and years of corrupt politicans is what put us in the position we're in now.
The same thing happened on the southside and westside of Chicago with the Madison Street Riots; the Watts riots in LA (1965); 1968 D.C. and Baltimore riots. These riots really scared the hell out of most whites and the black middle class. And it destroyed most of the Black and White-owned businesses.

I believe Detroit was the worse of them all and had the most impact on the city itself.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:20 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,739,827 times
Quote:
From my experience, that's typically because of the attitude constantly displayed by kazoopilot/flyingwriter: you're Black (at least partially), you consciously reject just about anything culturally Black, and you display this attitude of superiority towards Blacks who do embrace their culture. Types like these love to proclaim how much of an individual they are for "going against the grain" at least as far as the Black community is concerned, but then they strip other Black folk of their individuality by looking at them solely as members of a group and nothing more. That type of attitude just drives me batty.
AMEN.

anyway, ATL's friend reminds me of another friend that i had. she was exactly the type of person that akhenaton06 is talking about...and she carried herself as if she was better than the rest of us (except she talked to me...which i still can't understand why. actually i think she wanted to be with me but thats another topic). well her man was "embarrassed" by her whenever he was in front of family and certain friends. she was good enough to sleep with but not good enough for his family and not good enough for his friends where he was from.

interracial dating isn't necessarily what its cracked up to be whatever that is. there are many ppl even within interracial relationships that still hold some sort of prejudiced feelings about their partner's race and some that hold certain feelings about their own race.

the only reason that i didn't get with this girl is because i was not going to be the go to guy after she figured out she was dating for superficial reasons and that this guy was treating her like a *****.

but hell yeah she was a bad female. maybe in another life...

*edit*
actually i do understand why. i'm into talking about social issues, politics, traveling, etc. so i can carry on a convo about whatever and i was not the stereotypical black male that i guess she always believed all black men were like.
she saw me as an intellectual equal.

all of us aren't into "rims, weed, b's and money." although i'm into making money and lots of it, lol.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:02 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,401,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
So basically what Chicago does to Midwest has been extended to other regions. And jackson and Jordan are Carolinians first.
They are.....add Strom Thurmond and William Rehnquist to that list as well lol

Old 10-15-2010, 09:29 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,929,828 times
I don't consider there to be a "capital" of Black America. Also in this thread it seems to me that too many people are talking about just mainstream things rather than the whole picture. I do agree that if I had to pick a "capital" it would be Atlanta/metro, but I couldn't just say that without mentioning at least 10 other cities/areas.

DC, Chicago, Detroit, NYC, LA, New Orleans, Philly, Memphis, Houston, Cleveland, St. Louis, etc.

Basically, at least the first 20 cities on this list had a lot of influence, if not the whole list:
List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City