Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:21 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
In a word, yes. More specifically: I don't think you should "prefer" Phil Collins over Drake, but that you should also enjoy types of music not associated with black people (Rock, Country, Bluegrass, Metal).
What about if I just don't like those styles of music? You can't force yourself to like something you just don't like. Didn't you say at one time that you just don't have a preference for hip hop, R&B, gospel, etc.?

Quote:
Yes, you should adopt a mainstream style of dress, and not dress in a stereotypically black or "ghetto" "hood" fashion.
So since I wear Air Force Ones and Timberland boots, I dress "ghetto"? Yeah dude, you're REALLY disconnected from Black culture if you think that. It's also pretty silly to think that I wear certain types of clothes all the time. I also think you fail to realize just how much Black culture, in all aspects, has influenced mainstream culture.

Quote:
No. However, blacks shouldn't vote as a block for the Democrats (as if Dems have the best interests of blacks at heart, anyway). Develop your own political beliefs. Do whites, Asians, etc. vote in bloc?
You sort of have a point there, but let me ask you this: do you know why Blacks typically vote Democrat? If you understand why, then you'll know why those other groups don't typically vote in bloc.

Quote:
Short answer: yes. You should speak proper English. More specifically: How does one "sound white?" How can you sound a color? Have you ever notice that Americanized Hispanics, Asians, Africans, etc. "sound white?" Why should blacks be different?

I'm not talking about accents (you can't change your accent) but form of speech. Speak standard American English, not AAVE or "Ebonics." The black accent will fade with later generations, like the Asian accent in second-generation Asians.
Actually, I was speaking about an accent, although Geechee/Gullah is recognized as its own dialect. Shame that you'd want something so culturally rich and distinctive to go the way of the dodo. And by "talking White," I'm not talking about grammatically correct English. I speak proper English, but if you were to speak to me over the phone, you'd know I was Black.

Quote:
All of those churches need to diversify. COGIC should target white members, Southern Baptist and Lutheran should pursue blacks, Hispanics, etc. Church, of all places, should NOT be segregated.
A tidbit here: COGIC, founded by a Black Southerner, started off as racially integrated and only became predominantly Black when the White ministers decided it was more feasible for them to go off and do their own thing. The AME church was founded because Blacks were denied freedom of worship in the mainline Methodist church at that time. Another thing I've personally noted with churches: the most integrated tend to have White pastors. It just seems that Blacks are much more comfortable with White spiritual leadership (since that's just about how leadership in all facets looks) than vice versa.

Quote:
I'm not saying you can't keep some aspects of your culture, but your predominant cultural mold should be mainstream American.
So which aspects should I keep? Thus far, you've pretty much suggested that I should throw anything that even hints at being culturally Black out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 04:41 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,802 times
Delete..

Last edited by ThroatGuzzler; 10-14-2010 at 04:50 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 04:46 PM

442 posts, read 827,796 times
Quote:

In a word, yes. More specifically: I don't think you should "prefer" Phil Collins over Drake, but that you should also enjoy types of music not associated with black people (Rock, Country, Bluegrass, Metal). Yes, you should adopt a mainstream style of dress, and not dress in a stereotypically black or "ghetto" "hood" fashion.
You know black people created all of those genres right? I am black and prefer metal, hardcore and electronic dance over hip hop (never liked rnb) but that is because of taste and I don't look down on people who do regardless of their race. I bet you listen to the worst kinds of rock too and I know more then you do about it but I would never sh*t on my race. Tell us your favorite bands?

As for the fashion; black people wear anything and everything. Get out of the boonies dude. I bet you wear skinny jeans and vans and think you are so above those "thugs" who wear Air Force ones , which are worn by white hispters by the way. Pick up a urban fashion magazine or walk down the street.

Last edited by sk8t; 10-14-2010 at 05:34 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 05:04 PM

364 posts, read 717,310 times
Atlanta and the DC metro hands down.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:17 PM

937 posts, read 927,025 times
Quote:
Yes. Think about it: when Chinese, Poles, Russians, or ANY OTHER GROUP comes to this country, their children largely discard those foreign cultures for mainstream American culture. I'm not saying you can't keep some aspects of your culture, but your predominant cultural mold should be mainstream American.
That is called assimilation sir... And also, based on fiction. Back in the early days of the country, maybe so because there was still turmoil amongst races and classes as the English were usually higher class, burgiouse (spell check?) and the immigrants were of course the poor.
There's no such thing as mainstream American. Go to different parts of the country and you're pretty much in another world. People from San Francisco are not like New Yorkers. Southerners aren't even like folks from South Florida.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:58 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
This is the most dumbest mess I have ever heard.. I refuse to live a life based on how others think people should live..

Quote:
OK. I know I will be lambasted for this, but I might as well say it.

Disclaimer: the word "you" is a general "you," not the poster I'm quoting.

In a word, yes. More specifically: I don't think you should "prefer" Phil Collins over Drake, but that you should also enjoy types of music not associated with black people (Rock, Country, Bluegrass, Metal). Yes, you should adopt a mainstream style of dress, and not dress in a stereotypically black or "ghetto" "hood" fashion.

No. However, blacks shouldn't vote as a block for the Democrats (as if Dems have the best interests of blacks at heart, anyway). Develop your own political beliefs. Do whites, Asians, etc. vote in bloc?

Short answer: yes. You should speak proper English. More specifically: How does one "sound white?" How can you sound a color? Have you ever notice that Americanized Hispanics, Asians, Africans, etc. "sound white?" Why should blacks be different?

I'm not talking about accents (you can't change your accent) but form of speech. Speak standard American English, not AAVE or "Ebonics." The black accent will fade with later generations, like the Asian accent in second-generation Asians.

All of those churches need to diversify. COGIC should target white members, Southern Baptist and Lutheran should pursue blacks, Hispanics, etc. Church, of all places, should NOT be segregated.

Yes. Think about it: when Chinese, Poles, Russians, or ANY OTHER GROUP comes to this country, their children largely discard those foreign cultures for mainstream American culture. I'm not saying you can't keep some aspects of your culture, but your predominant cultural mold should be mainstream American.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:31 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
This thread has taken an interesting turn. I understand some posters are not really understanding of what it means to have a black capital. It's been explained before and I won't repeat anything. I think it's sad that some folks think discarding what so many blacks have been murdered, raped, and lynched for means nothing. These folks went through just so we could have the opportunities we have now. That's why I hold dear to an African-American culture while still being a "mainstream" American. And if you do the history on that, that doesn't paint a pretty picture.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:39 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
I'm going to say this right now. This mythical "mainstream American culture" people like kazoo and flyingwriter are talking about, is really just a nice, passive-aggressive way for people to say we should immitate the style of dress, musical preferences, speech patterns, and food choices of white people. But when they say white people, they mean a certain kind of white person...I don't think they're talking about southern whites to be sure. Because funnily enough, blacks and southern whites have a lot more in common than the two sides probably want to admit (especially when it comes to speech patterns, food, and religion). But I digress.

My point is, that this "mainstream American culture" is really just a nice way of saying something else.

By the way, I'm not saying that us blacks should just limit ourselves to black culture. But there's nothing wrong with preserving the culture that you love and what identifies you. Much better than the homogeneous cultural umbrella that kazoo wants us all to stand under.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:43 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm going to say this right now. This mythical "mainstream American culture" people like kazoo and flyingwriter are talking about, is really just a nice, passive-aggressive way for people to say we should immitate the style of dress, musical preferences, speech patters, and food choices of white people. But when they say white people, they mean a certain kind of white person...I don't think they're talking about southern whites to be sure. Because funnily enough, blacks and southern whites have a lot more in common than the two sides probably want to admit (especially when it comes to speech patterns, food, and religion). But I digress.

My point is, that this "mainstream American culture" is really just a nice way of saying something else.
Lol. So true. You must have had some social theory classes at UT. I definitely agree. But back on topic Atlanta, DC, NYC, and Chicago are the front runners. Detroit can never be forgotten either, same with NOLA and Phily.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:09 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
When I think of cities where African American culture is most predominate, this is what comes to mind:

1) NOLA
2) ATL
3) HOUSTON
4) DET
5) NYC

in that order.
Black culture is not nearly as predominant in Houston and NYC, as it is in the other 3 you mentioned(ATL, NO, DET).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City