Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:10 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,309,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
And the president is from Chicago.
Actually he's from Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 11:16 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Individuality is all good. But on that same note, blacks who do their own thing when it comes to doing stuff that isn't considered culturally black get dogged on like it's no tomorrow.

But what I'm finding with today, and this problem applies not to just blacks but all Americans, is that in today's society, people who overly gloat about being "individual" are some of the biggest conformists. Adapting to the hood-and-hustle life, surfer bro style, fratboy trend, or NJ/LI "Jersey Shore" culture isn't being individual. It's imitating what's popular and cool. I'm not saying you're guilty of it.

I'll agree that many intellectuals are extremely smug, especially after being in a city where they're concentrated. And granted that you personally never have defended such behavior, and it's possibly different in that sense with blacks in Texas, but from my experiences, that's how it is where I live.

More power to you to defend every aspect of the culture. But again, that could be because of being embraced by the majority of fellow blacks when you were growing up. What I don't get is why the Jewish people, the only culture/religion that has been more hated worldwide than blacks (which most of the hatred to us is in America anyway) don't have this "crab mentality" that the black community currently has.

I can see the understanding in being a sellout if the place you came from genuinely helped you to get to where you are. In that case, then the least you can do is give back. But if you were given crap during the struggle and work years, then I see no point to going back to haters who will even be more envious now that you're at another level.

That's one thing I can completely agree with you there.
I'm just going to tell you like this; if you're in search of a city that is a haven for Uncle Toms or African Americans who are ashamed of their heritage. Texas is not the place. Try the northwest.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:21 AM

320 posts, read 718,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Actually he's from Hawaii.
So what. Oprah's from Milwaukee/Nashville. Jordan's from N. Carolina. Farrakhan is from Boston. Jesse Jackson is from S. Carolina. Tom Joyner is from Tuskegee, Al. None of these people actually grew up in Chicago, but Chicago made them legends.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:31 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
So what. Oprah's from Milwaukee/Nashville. Jordan's from N. Carolina. Farrakhan is from Boston. Jesse Jackson is from S. Carolina. Tom Joyner is from Tuskegee, Al. None of these people actually grew up in Chicago, but Chicago made them legends.
So basically what Chicago does to Midwest has been extended to other regions. And jackson and Jordan are Carolinians first.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:17 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,404,078 times
Quote:
Individuality is all good. But on that same note, blacks who do their own thing when it comes to doing stuff that isn't considered culturally black get dogged on like it's no tomorrow.
True, that is so true but to each his own.

One of my closest friends is mixed (black father and white mother) and reminds me a lot of CNN's Soledad O'brian. She has a preference for white men only as she has never dated, kissed or "been with" a black man and she's now 30. I must admit the conscious exclusion of black men from her dating pool was always confusing to me, but that's her choice and I can respect that.

Be that as it may, in her quest to find mr. right, she dated this white guy who seemed okay, but for some odd reason was always reluctant take her anywhere. Finally one morning after spending the night at his place, he wakes her at about 6AM to say that she should leave because the "pool man is coming by soon and he needs to run a few errands." Of course she was dumbfounded, but left as requested then called me to try and make sense of it all. We really don't take it that seriously (she and I) so the running joke is "you never know how black you really are until the pool man stops by."

The thing with her that gets under my skin though is whenever situations such as these arise, she's always the first to start throwing around the idea of dating a black man. Why? That's clearly what you've spoken against time and time again, so why rock the boat now that things aren't going as planned? She's currently in yet another unsuccessful relationship, and is doing the exact same thing. Now that I don't like.

I understand what you're saying and agree with some of it. I know that Kazoo is pissed at me right now, but that post about changing some of the things that define who I am as an individual in order to conform to what's obviously more comfortable and acceptable for him is just ridiculous.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:49 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,396,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
True, that is so true but to each his own.

One of my closest friends is mixed (black father and white mother) and reminds me a lot of CNN's Soledad O'brian. She has a preference for white men only as she has never dated, kissed or "been with" a black man and she's now 30. I must admit the conscious exclusion of black men from her dating pool was always confusing to me, but that's her choice and I can respect that.

Be that as it may, in her quest to find mr. right, she dated this white guy who seemed okay, but for some odd reason was always reluctant take her anywhere. Finally one morning after spending the night at his place, he wakes her at about 6AM to say that she should leave because the "pool man is coming by soon and he needs to run a few errands." Of course she was dumbfounded, but left as requested then called me to try and make sense of it all. We really don't take it that seriously (she and I) so the running joke is "you never know how black you really are until the pool man stops by."

The thing with her that gets under my skin though is whenever situations such as these arise, she's always the first to start throwing around the idea of dating a black man. Why? That's clearly what you've spoken against time and time again, so why rock the boat now that things aren't going as planned? She's currently in yet another unsuccessful relationship, and is doing the exact same thing. Now that I don't like.

I understand what you're saying and agree with some of it. I know that Kazoo is pissed at me right now, but that post about changing some of the things that define who I am as an individual in order to conform to what's obviously more comfortable and acceptable for him is just ridiculous.
Wow your friend just sound like she has bad taste in men. She chooses them so her continuing to get into relationships with men who aren't worth it is on her. She shouldn't blame white men then want to date black men simply because she has no luck with white men. If white men are her prefrence, which is fine, maybe she needs to take a step back and evaluate the men she's dated in the past to see what she's doing wrong. Then she should eliminate those type and pick the right white man for her. One who shares the same values and goals and is not ashamed to been seen with her. I also have a feeling that if she were to date a black man she'd probly would make a bad choice in them as well.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:31 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,876,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
Thank you!!!!!

I've always said that Black People are as American as Apple Pie . It's not just Whites who influenced this culture; Blacks had played a huuuuuuuge role in the development of this country as well. We just did it in slightly different ways.

Just think about it. What would American food be without Blacks (as well as European, Chinese, Carribean and Latin Immigrants)? It would taste as bland as the food in England. What would American music sound like without Black folks? What about American dance? I don't even wanna immagine that . What would American English sound like without black folks? We would probably sound like Canadians eh? What would agriculture be without Black folks?

(Here's a little food for thought (no pun intended). Blacks folks contribute greatly in the cultivation of cotton, rice, yams, penuts, okra, watermelon, sorghum, indigo. We also brought over a variety of agricultural techniques from Africa and other parts of the Americas like crop rotation and soil replenishment that would literally save agriculture in the south.)

What would American sports be without blacks? Yiiiiiikes !!!!!! What would American warfare be without Blacks soldiers? Buffalo Soldiers, Tuskegee Airmen, 54th Massachusetts Infantry, etc. What would America be without Oprah? White women would be veeeeerrrrrry depressed !!!! What about the many inventions that was patented by blacks?

There's isn't a major American invention or innovation alive that Black people didn't put thier fingers on. Look it up. You'll be surprise what black folks were apart of.

I'm not saying we should get all of the credit, but we did play a huge role in shaping American culture. Ultimately, it was white folks and other groups who built a larger part of this country. However, Blacks not only built a large of this country, but more importantly, it was our cultural contributions blacks that help give this country an unique identity that would distinguish us from the British. An identity that would eventually be known as American Culture.

I get mad when people like Kazoopilot say that Black folks need to strip their culture entirely an completely assimulate into white culture. Firstly, most white folks won't allow it. Secondly, we are american culture!!!!! If you strip black folks identity then Americans won't have an identity.
+20,000 for you my friend. Excellent post!

Old 10-15-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
From my experience, that's typically because of the attitude constantly displayed by kazoopilot/flyingwriter: you're Black (at least partially), you consciously reject just about anything culturally Black, and you display this attitude of superiority towards Blacks who do embrace their culture. Types like these love to proclaim how much of an individual they are for "going against the grain" at least as far as the Black community is concerned, but then they strip other Black folk of their individuality by looking at them solely as members of a group and nothing more. That type of attitude just drives me batty.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:41 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,396,416 times
I don't think there is a "capital of black america" because throughout history there have been many cities that could qualify. I wouldn't say Detroit IS the "black mecca" or whatever but we have a nice list of people from Detroit. Here are some

Wallace Fard Muhammad-Founder of the Nation of Islam
Ralph J. Bunche-political scientist/diplomat
Cora Brown-First AA woman to the US Senate
Aaliyah
David Alan Grier
Kenya Moore
Greg Mathis
Della Reese
John Witerspoon
Jalen Rose
Chris Webber
Anita Baker
Smokey Robbinson
Diana Ross
Slum Village
Jackie Wilson
The Winans
Big Sean
Larry Foote

Old 10-15-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I don't think there is a "capital of black america" because throughout history there have been many cities that could qualify. I wouldn't say Detroit IS the "black mecca" or whatever but we have a nice list of people from Detroit. Here are some

Wallace Fard Muhammad-Founder of the Nation of Islam
Ralph J. Bunche-political scientist/diplomat
Cora Brown-First AA woman to the US Senate
Aaliyah
David Alan Grier
Kenya Moore
Greg Mathis
Della Reese
John Witerspoon
Jalen Rose
Chris Webber
Anita Baker
Smokey Robbinson
Diana Ross
Slum Village
Jackie Wilson
The Winans
Big Sean
Larry Foote
Detroit has played a MAJOR role in African American history and culture, no doubt. I tend to think that it actually doesn't get the credit it deserves in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City