Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 10:16 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I guess that point can be taken. I don't think many people on here or in real life would signal out DC being more vibrant in most areas over BK, but you can find a least a few 2 sq mi pockets of the District that equate or may out due a pocket here or there of BK in vibrancy.
That wasn't the argument MDAllStar was making. He said that those areas (G-Town, Logan/Dupont, etc.) are more vibrant than anywhere in Brooklyn. That's not true. I mean, if we wanted to use Walkscore as a proxy for vibrancy, then Brooklyn has a very clear advantage. DC has 2 neighborhoods rated a 97 or above (Dupont Circle and U Street) while Brooklyn has 10. This isn't to say that Walkscore is some great metric for vibrancy, but there are few neighborhoods with a 98 Walkscore that are "meh." They are typically the highest quality urbanity this country has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 10:17 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That's why I'm getting at the point of what you two are comparing, there is no sense of one of you comparing an apple to an orange. I was walking brownstone neighborhoods of BK two weeks ago that are either equal or less vibrant than equivalent neighborhoods in DC. The difference is that in DC those neighborhoods are probably a lot smaller geographically than the ones in BK I was in.
That's my point. My best friend lives in Bedstuy. I'm in NYC all the time. Nothing in DC compares to NYC, but Brooklyn neighborhoods are not vibrant like a commercial strip is. They are just houses with very few people walking like any other residential neighborhood. Their commercial strips are though, but he is comparing Brooklyn neighborhoods to downtown DC.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:21 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Ok guys.

So where's the Black capital again?

Old 03-11-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Other than downtown BK, those are not in Brooklyn. I don't recall Brooklyn neighborhoods having a lot of foot traffic whenever I'm there. Only the commercial strips have foot traffic. Unless you are near a commercial street, you're not going to have foot traffic regardless of the city. The area I'm talking about in DC obviously has more retail frontage being that it is downtown DC. The foot traffic seems higher compared to Brooklyn neighborhoods in my experience.
Brooklyn has a lot more commercial streets than DC. It also has a lot more subway stops (172 vs 20) and a much lower rate of car ownership. These facts result in many more people walking around in Brooklyn, period.

Your experience in Brooklyn pales in comparison to my experience in DC. Trust me here.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Brooklyn has a lot more commercial streets than DC. It also has a lot more subway stops (172 vs 20) and a much lower rate of car ownership. These facts result in many more people walking around in Brooklyn, period.

Your experience in Brooklyn pales in comparison to my experience in DC. Trust me here.
So, Bedstuy is roughly 3 sq. miles using the measure tool. You're telling me there is more vibrancy in those three square miles in Bedstuy than the 3.7 sq. miles covered earlier in DC? I mean, Brooklyn is larger than DC proper anyway so we can overlay a bunch of areas, however, I have never experienced the foot traffic you're talking about walking down residential streets.

I just don't see it on streets like this.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6855...7i16384!8i8192

Old 03-11-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
So, Bedstuy is roughly 3 sq. miles using the measure tool. You're telling me there is more vibrancy in those three square miles in Bedstuy than the 3.7 sq. miles covered earlier in DC? I mean, Brooklyn is larger than DC proper anyway so we can overlay a bunch of areas, however, I have never experienced the foot traffic you're talking about walking down residential streets.

I just don't see it on streets like this.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6855...7i16384!8i8192
I said there is more pedestrian traffic in parts of Bed-Stuy than there is in Georgetown. Fulton is a very busy street and looks like a slightly scaled-down version of 125th Street during the day.

Are we really going to use Google streets here? If that's the case, then one could easily make the argument that DC is a languid ghosttown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euXtqwhASG8

Old 03-11-2019, 10:55 AM

We already covered this in another thread, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It is like that FAR off those streets. It's basically busy in all the neighborhoods going down the entire Brooklyn water front. Actually I didn't edit any footage whatsoever. I just took shots and linked them. Sorry I didn't want to look like an idiot with a camera and my gf was telling me to put it away. It's definitely similar amount of foot traffic on Metropolitan, Grand, Bedford, Lorimer with scattered people walking in almost any direction throughout the entire neighborhood. There are massive condos that are now built right by the water on the 5th pier that will only add to the foot traffic. The retail there is already in place as far as large grocery stores, drug stores, other neighborhood amenities. It's also the most dead time of the year right now. That area is annoyingly busy in the summer. The area is like 60k hpsm (hipsters per square mile) :P over 2+ sq miles.

The footage ended b/c gasp, I went into a store with my gf! lol...I was out hanging out and shopping, I just shot a video.

How do you think these people are getting around anyway? They are walking through the neighborhood. Most people there are not driving.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I said there is more pedestrian traffic in parts of Bed-Stuy than there is in Georgetown. Fulton is a very busy street and looks like a slightly scaled-down version of 125th Street during the day.

Are we really going to use Google streets here? If that's the case, then one could easily make the argument that DC is a languid ghosttown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euXtqwhASG8
I wasn't using google street view to measure the vibrancy of those street in Bedstuy, I was giving you an example of the type of residential streets I'm talking about. I have walked these streets many days. They are nothing like K Street, I Street, H Street, F Street, G Street, 7th Street, 9th Street in downtown DC. Are you saying they are? I know Fulton has a lot, but you compared it to all of downtown DC. Do you think that Fulton street alone can be compared to all of downtown DC?

Old 03-11-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I wasn't using google street view to measure the vibrancy of those street in Bedstuy, I was giving you an example of the type of residential streets I'm talking about. I have walked these streets many days. They are nothing like K Street, I Street, H Street, F Street, G Street, 7th Street, 9th Street in downtown DC. Are you saying they are? I know Fulton has a lot, but you compared it to all of downtown DC. Do you think that Fulton street alone can be compared to all of downtown DC?
C'mon, Kellyanne Conway.

Quote:
Downtown, DUMBO, Williamsburg and Sunset Park easily surpass those locations in foot traffic. There are even parts of Bed-Stuy that have more pedestrian traffic than Georgetown.
No point in continuing if you insist on misstating others' positions, shifting goalposts and creating strawmen.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:15 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
I left it where I did, but you two have continued it going.

Once again I still feel the need to point out apples and compare them to other apples. In Bajan's Cherrypicked video of DC on most likely a Sunday afternoon in mid August of a downtown district that is not heavily residential of course you are going to see empty streets. I guess I should point out the number of black people in each video to stay on topic and use as reference to the OP of this thread. That strip in Brooklyn does have more blacks.

One could cherry pick it the other way yet with two commercial strips and compare them:

Chinatown- Washington DC 7th & H streets NW (on most likely a Friday night)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PrthhSRXEM

What looks to be Fulton and Nostrand Av (commercial strip)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWqwxw1oaio

Just from not only watching the two videos, but also being on both of these exact corners before my take is. The Brooklyn block obviously feels and is more "populated" residentially speaking, but the DC block is more "vibrant". With tourist and locals alike walking along the street and crosswalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City