Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 11:18 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Does anybody think the vote total in the OP poll for Atlanta is a bit suspicious ?
I think Atlanta is definitely considered the black capital in entertainment and popularity now. They should win this poll. From a living standpoint, NYC and DC offer an urban lifestyle in the city that Atlanta will never offer, so I think it serves its purpose especially for those seeking a suburban lifestyle that don’t want to live in an expensive urban city like NYC or DC. A lot of black people prefer a slower lifestyle now with land and space at a cheaper price to boot. The values are changing for black people. Those of us that still desire an urban dense city would never live in a place like Atlanta though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 12:00 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
There are still more people that desire to live the suburban lifestyle than the urban lifestyle. There are also urban identified blacks in Atlanta. They just live in the city of Atlanta in the newer developments and not in the outskirts. There are plenty of suburban minded blacks in the DC area that moved up here. They just live in PG and now Nova. One I know moved from Raleigh, young, and hated the though of living an urban life.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:12 PM

93,230 posts, read 123,819,554 times
I also think that the thing with more urban cities is that some still see the opportunity to obtain property within the neighborhoods as well. Meaning, taking a pro active approach in trying to maintain the character of the neighborhoods the folks live in.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There are still more people that desire to live the suburban lifestyle than the urban lifestyle. There are also urban identified blacks in Atlanta. They just live in the city of Atlanta in the newer developments and not in the outskirts. There are plenty of suburban minded blacks in the DC area that moved up here. They just live in PG and now Nova. One I know moved from Raleigh, young, and hated the though of living an urban life.
Living in the city of Atlanta is still like living in the suburbs compared to DC and NYC. For those that don’t need the level of intense urban life found in a city like DC or NYC, Atlanta would definitely fit the bill. Atlanta just can’t offer that because it’s in the south and cities in the south weren’t built that way. It’s not going to have a lot of people walking around the city. It’s not something Atlanta needs to be ashamed of, there are only a handful of cities in America with vibrant streets and lots of people walking around. It’s very rare.

A lot of black people don’t like an urban lifestyle where you walk around your neighborhood versus drive. That’s why Atlanta is so attractive to many people. PG and NOVA is not DC. It’s like a different world when we leave the city to go out there. It’s very similar to Atlanta in PG and NOVA.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-09-2019 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-10-2019, 07:33 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Living in the city of Atlanta is still like living in the suburbs compared to DC and NYC. For those that don’t need the level of intense urban life found in a city like DC or NYC, Atlanta would definitely fit the bill. Atlanta just can’t offer that because it’s in the south and cities in the south weren’t built that way. It’s not going to have a lot of people walking around the city. It’s not something Atlanta needs to be ashamed of, there are only a handful of cities in America with vibrant streets and lots of people walking around. It’s very rare.

A lot of black people don’t like an urban lifestyle where you walk around your neighborhood versus drive. That’s why Atlanta is so attractive to many people. PG and NOVA is not DC. It’s like a different world when we leave the city to go out there. It’s very similar to Atlanta in PG and NOVA.
Well that’s why I said DC area. I know PG and Nova aren’t DC. My point is people still move to areas that may have an urban area but have no desire to live in it. Also, living in the core of Atlanta may not be DC or NYC. But it’s not Rosslyn or Tyson’s Corner either.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:35 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,093,659 times
Quote:
no. because many black people do feel that Atlanta truly is the capital of Black America. Especially in todays time.
So so. It's mainly the entertainment & economics along with a high quality promoting value. I've been there and enjoyed myself but not that de facto capital of black america vibe just in it's prime time spotlight vibe.

Last edited by Sharif662; 03-10-2019 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: Misspelling

Old 03-10-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Well that’s why I said DC area. I know PG and Nova aren’t DC. My point is people still move to areas that may have an urban area but have no desire to live in it. Also, living in the core of Atlanta may not be DC or NYC. But it’s not Rosslyn or Tyson’s Corner either.
Don’t all suburbs for every city give you that? I don’t think there is much of a difference in suburbs from city to city. Whether it’s Atlanta, DC, LA, or NYC, a suburb will never be like DC proper or NYC proper. The point I was making is living in the city of Atlanta or outside of it does not offer the experience of walking the streets of DC or NYC on a sunny afternoon and it never will.

As long as someone doesn’t care for that or need it, Atlanta is a great choice. The people who need that are typically the people who say Atlanta is too slow for them. The majority of people in America couldn’t care less for urban life. They go into the city for events and fun, but don’t care about how many people are walking around and how packed the streets are with pedestrians. Some people do like it and if you happen to be black, DC and NYC offer something Atlanta can’t offer.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:15 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,131 times
Quote:
Don’t all suburbs for every city give you that? I don’t think there is much of a difference in suburbs from city to city. Whether it’s Atlanta, DC, LA, or NYC, a suburb will never be like DC proper or NYC proper. The point I was making is living in the city of Atlanta or outside of it does not offer the experience of walking the streets of DC or NYC on a sunny afternoon and it never will.
Unless you live downtown. Because of their younger age, the truly urban footprint of southern cities is pretty much restricted to downtown. The immediate core of Atlanta is definitely walkable and bustling at certain periods, although more comparable to a smaller city in the northeast.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Unless you live downtown. Because of their younger age, the truly urban footprint of southern cities is pretty much restricted to downtown. The immediate core of Atlanta is definitely walkable and bustling at certain periods, although more comparable to a smaller city in the northeast.
Everything is relative. Nobody would say anywhere in Atlanta is bustling compared to DC proper or NYC. Comparing Atlanta to some other cities, sure it would seem busy.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:42 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,131 times
Quote:
Everything is relative. Nobody would say anywhere in Atlanta is bustling compared to DC proper or NYC. Comparing Atlanta to some other cities, sure it would seem busy.
Which is why I specified smaller urban cities.

But DC? I've been there enough times to know that every inch of that city is not packed with people at all hours of the day. I've even experienced the Loop in Chicago at relatively dead periods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City