Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:42 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,675 times

Advertisements

Black: Atlanta
Hispanic: Depends. Mexican/Central/South America- Los Angeles Caribbean- Miami
Asian: San Francisco
White: Des Moines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 02:49 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,421,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Best post of the thread, in my opinion, and one that tells how I feel much more eloquently than I have the patience for on CD.

The problem with the way most of these assimilationists think is they don't value our unique cultural identity. Do I want to segregate myself? No! I wouldn't be at UT if I did. But if I would prefer to live in one of the "black meccas" after I graduate, there is nothing wrong with that.These black people that talk about how we need to "integrate" and "assimilate" never get upset at whites for not rushing to move to Memphis or Detroit.
I'm one of those "assimilationists" (and proud of it!). Here's my response:

The only reason I don't get mad at whites for not moving to Memphis or Detroit is because those cities are crime-ridden. While, yes, Detroit has nice areas like East English Village and Boston Edison (and white people DO live there), most of it is crime-infested ghetto. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to reside there. It DOES bother me how white people don't move to places like Baldwin Hills, CA or Bloomfield, CT. However, that's beside the point.

It's not that I don't respect your cultural identity, but the fact is, America does have a dominant culture. All Americans (black, white, Asian, Hispanic, etc.) should strive to assimilate to that dominant culture. That doesn't mean that a black man can't preserve some aspects of his culture, only that he should view himself as an American first and identify with mainstream American culture first. That's what assimilation is: not losing your heritage, but embracing all it is to be American.

Integration is a key component of assimilation. It's what Dr. King dreamed about -- not "black meccas" or "black capitals," but whites and blacks (as well as Hispanics, Natives, Asians, etc.) sitting down at the "table of brotherhood." That means living in the same neighborhoods, working at the same jobs, dating each other, marrying each other, looking out for the interests of one another. True integration and acceptance, not merely "tolerance" or "diversity."

As far as location goes, it's not my place to tell anyone where she can or cannot live. However, I will say that it is an absolute fact that a black person can do just as well in Mankato, Minnesota, Boise, Idaho or Minot, North Dakota as he/she could in Atlanta, DC or Charlotte. It's about a mindset and a will to succeed, not living near people who look like you.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:55 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
It's not that I don't respect your cultural identity, but the fact is, America does have a dominant culture. All Americans (black, white, Asian, Hispanic, etc.) should strive to assimilate to that dominant culture. That doesn't mean that a black man can't preserve some aspects of his culture, only that he should view himself as an American first and identify with mainstream American culture first. That's what assimilation is: not losing your heritage, but embracing all it is to be American.
This is the part I don't get, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. So, tell me what exactly is mainstream American culture and what aspects of Black culture do you think clash with that?

Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,396,747 times
Quote:
I'm one of those "assimilationists" (and proud of it!). Here's my response:

The only reason I don't get mad at whites for not moving to Memphis or Detroit is because those cities are crime-ridden. While, yes, Detroit has nice areas like East English Village and Boston Edison (and white people DO live there), most of it is crime-infested ghetto. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to reside there. It DOES bother me how white people don't move to places like Baldwin Hills, CA or Bloomfield, CT. However, that's beside the point.

Integration is a key component of assimilation. It's what Dr. King dreamed about -- not "black meccas" or "black capitals," but whites and blacks (as well as Hispanics, Natives, Asians, etc.) sitting down at the "table of brotherhood." That means living in the same neighborhoods, working at the same jobs, dating each other, marrying each other, looking out for the interests of one another. True integration and acceptance, not merely "tolerance" or "diversity."

As far as location goes, it's not my place to tell anyone where she can or cannot live. However, I will say that it is an absolute fact that a black person can do just as well in Mankato, Minnesota, Boise, Idaho or Minot, North Dakota as he/she could in Atlanta, DC or Charlotte. It's about a mindset and a will to succeed, not living near people who look like you.
hmmmm now ask yourself how many people in "america's dominate culture" really want that to happen?

Old 10-14-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
This is the part I don't get, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. So, tell me what exactly is mainstream American culture and what aspects of Black culture do you think clash with that?
Mainstream American culture is the values, ideals, interests and outlook espoused by a majority of Americans. It's a way of speaking, dressing, eating, listening, thinking, carrying oneself and relating to others.

The fact that a separate and unique "black culture" for native (born here) black Americans even exists clashes with the idea of integrating into mainstream American culture. Without delving into the stereotypical, many black Americans speak differently, dress differently, eat differently, carry themselves differently and vote differently than the majority of non-black Americans.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:05 PM

320 posts, read 718,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
As a matter of fact, I'd say there are four cities that are the historical epicenters of Black music: New Orleans, Memphis, Chicago, and Detroit.
Don't forget about the Mississippi Delta. That's where most of the great Chicago bluesmen come from.

Also, I will include St. Louis on the list. This is home to Chuck Berry, Miles Davis, Ike and Tina Turner, etc. Scott Jophlin spent some time their before moving to Chicago.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
hmmmm now ask yourself how many people in "america's dominate culture" really want that to happen?
I can't speak for hundreds of millions of people, but the vast majority of those I know and have talked to (of MANY different races) would welcome the change.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Mainstream American culture is the values, ideals, interests and outlook espoused by a majority of Americans. It's a way of speaking, dressing, eating, listening, thinking, carrying oneself and relating to others.

The fact that a separate and unique "black culture" for native (born here) black Americans even exists clashes with the idea of integrating into mainstream American culture. Without delving into the stereotypical, many black Americans speak differently, dress differently, eat differently, carry themselves differently and vote differently than the majority of non-black Americans.
No, I don't want generalities here, I want specifics. You put it out there, so don't be afraid to explain and defend yourself. Should I prefer Phil Collins over Drake? Should I discard my Air Force Ones, Timberlands, etc. for loafers? Should I give up collard greens for bagels? Do I need to vote Republican consistently? Should I attempt to rid myself of the hint of Geechee in my speech and consciously try to "sound White"? Should I resign from my AME or COGIC church and join a Southern Baptist or Catholic congregation? Should I cut my locs? Do I need to devalue everything in my life that has a hint of Black culture and replace it with something "mainstream American"?

You were SO off when you stated, "The fact that a separate and unique 'black culture' for native (born here) black Americans even exists clashes with the idea of integrating into mainstream American culture." You DO realize that Blacks were forced out of necessity to create such for the vast majority of our time here in America, right? Seems like you have absolutely no sense of how history or culture works, but I'm not surprised.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
Don't forget about the Mississippi Delta. That's where most of the great Chicago bluesmen come from.
That's essentially Memphis.

Quote:
Also, I will include St. Louis on the list. This is home to Chuck Berry, Miles Davis, Ike and Tina Turner, etc. Scott Jophlin spent some time their before moving to Chicago.
Good call on St. Louie.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:26 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,411 times
When I saw Seattle as a possibility, I thought my town, Burlington Vermont, might make it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City