Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:28 PM

442 posts, read 828,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
The real answer there is no Black capital of America. Just about in every major city where blacks are highly concentrated, a significant amount of Blacks live in poverty. Unemployment is higher than other races/ethnicity, even in DC and Atlanta. Some of the best cities and states for Black people tend to heavily non Black. Hawaii and Alaska are examples. With the cost of living so high in Honolulu and Hawaii being a vacation state, I wouldn't be surprise if the majority of black adults there have college degrees.
That is because those are big military states. I think the idea that black people need the government to succeed financially is awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 08:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
The real answer there is no Black capital of America. Just about in every major city where blacks are highly concentrated, a significant amount of Blacks live in poverty.
There is a bit of a yin/yang situation that goes on in these cities, that's true. But you cannot deny the economic, political, civic, and educational capital that's been amassed by African Americans in these cities. You simply do not see that in AK and HI.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:05 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
D.c.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:21 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Ussually anyplace with a low black population is going to be more educated and doing better off statistically, there are some exceptions tho i'm sure. Of course there are "the little things" that come with living in those places.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:42 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
East ST Louis

Old 10-16-2010, 09:24 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
East ST Louis
If East Saint Louis is the capital of black America then the KKK is a good representation of white people!

EDIT: I think I just made an analogy that's potentially offensive to everyone. Unfortunately, it's true.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:58 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
If East Saint Louis is the capital of black America then the KKK is a good representation of white people!

EDIT: I think I just made an analogy that's potentially offensive to everyone. Unfortunately, it's true.
I see the where u were going with that

Old 10-17-2010, 09:53 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:
The real answer there is no Black capital of America. Just about in every major city where blacks are highly concentrated, a significant amount of Blacks live in poverty. Unemployment is higher than other races/ethnicity, even in DC and Atlanta. Some of the best cities and states for Black people tend to heavily non Black. Hawaii and Alaska are examples. With the cost of living so high in Honolulu and Hawaii being a vacation state, I wouldn't be surprise if the majority of black adults there have college degrees.
This is the perspective I hold very strong. Especially having lived in one of these "so called" Black Capital cities, but most of the blacks I see have little wealth, are highly despised by non-blacks, and whose authentic parts of the culture has been bastardized by the MTV/BET definition of black culture. In this country, there tends to be an inverse relationship between the quantity of blacks and the quality of life for blacks. Places where blacks have the best quality of life tend to be in places where blacks are not the majority, or even a noticeable minority. I would guess the only exceptional cities where there are a noticeable amount of blacks and visible black culture but most of them have a decent quality are Charlotte, Dallas, and Houston.

The problem is that some people will call a black person who wants a better quality of life is usually seen as an uncle tom and sellout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
if that is the case then seattle should be winning. Good point tho.

mas23
I would add Denver, Columbus, Honolulu, and Sacramento to the list, as well as Minneapolis, San Diego, Anchorage, Phoenix, and Las Vegas as wild cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
There is a bit of a yin/yang situation that goes on in these cities, that's true. But you cannot deny the economic, political, civic, and educational capital that's been amassed by African Americans in these cities. You simply do not see that in AK and HI.
Technically, the wealth and success seen with blacks is mostly seen in the suburbs. In Atlanta, it's in places like Dekalb, Gwinnett, and Colb. IN DC, it's in Montgomery, outer beltway Prince Georges, and parts of Northern VA.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:31 AM

442 posts, read 828,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
This is the perspective I hold very strong. Especially having lived in one of these "so called" Black Capital cities, but most of the blacks I see have little wealth, are highly despised by non-blacks, and whose authentic parts of the culture has been bastardized by the MTV/BET definition of black culture. In this country, there tends to be an inverse relationship between the quantity of blacks and the quality of life for blacks. Places where blacks have the best quality of life tend to be in places where blacks are not the majority, or even a noticeable minority. I would guess the only exceptional cities where there are a noticeable amount of blacks and visible black culture but most of them have a decent quality are Charlotte, Dallas, and Houston.

The problem is that some people will call a black person who wants a better quality of life is usually seen as an uncle tom and sellout.

I would add Denver, Columbus, Honolulu, and Sacramento to the list, as well as Minneapolis, San Diego, Anchorage, Phoenix, and Las Vegas as wild cards.

Technically, the wealth and success seen with blacks is mostly seen in the suburbs. In Atlanta, it's in places like Dekalb, Gwinnett, and Colb. IN DC, it's in Montgomery, outer beltway Prince Georges, and parts of Northern VA.
1. Aren't most places going to have most successful blacks (and whites ) in the suburbs regarless of the number of blacks per capital?
2. Are you seriously saying Houston,Charolette and Dallas have more successful blacks then ATL or DC when both cities alone have almost as many blacks as 2 of the former three combined meaning there is a greater number of blacks that can be poor ? This is the case with any race. Place with lots of white people have more poor whites and places with lots of Asian is the same way; reason most likely bieng that a person of one ethnic group is not going to move to a area where they are a minority unless there is a good job for them.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:42 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I see where you are going with this, but as a former resident of Columbus, it seemed pretty black to me actually. Minneapolis too but I'm not going to go there in this conversation (it's still less black than most cities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City