Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:45 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I never denied Chicago, Atlanta or DC historic black communities. There are a couple of other cities Detroit and New Orleans that can also make that claim.

Atlanta was the chosen city of black media. Just look at the census data back in 1990 and you will see Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston black population where very similar in raw numbers. Atlanta gained a significant edge on those cities due enlarge part to black media. Negroes moved to ATL because BET said it was the promise land and you know it is some truth that O_O.
Maybe it had to do with the overall trend of black people in general moving back down South overall, and Atlanta being the most well known city in the South? You seriously think it was some huge consipracy from BET? LMFAO at the crap people come up with...Since they're based in DC, you'd think they'd be telling everyone that the DC area was the promised land. Blacks have been moving back down south long before BET started. Try again. It's not like blacks haven't been moving to Houston and Dallas at the same time.

I guess someone's bitter that Stop Six isn't the place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
I never denied Chicago, Atlanta or DC historic black communities. There are a couple of other cities Detroit and New Orleans that can also make that claim.

Atlanta was the chosen city of black media. Just look at the census data back in 1990 and you will see Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston black population where very similar in raw numbers. Atlanta gained a significant edge on those cities due enlarge part to black media. Negroes moved to ATL because BET said it was the promise land and you know it is some truth that O_O.
Maybe thats the case now with the new generation but the only reason why BET said "it was the promiseland"(???lol) is because alot of black ran institutions were able to thrive in addition to the lower cost of living and more laidback lifestyle.
Its not like they just said "Meh lets just choose atlanta and see where it goes haha!". No.They could easily do that with any city like Juneau Alaska or Billings Montana!!

mas23

Old 10-19-2010, 11:35 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:

No sir. Not even close. Since 1990, the growth of the black population of Atlanta far out paces Houston and Dallas and it isn't really close. In 1990, I believe Atlanta had just under 1 million blacks while Houston and Dallas had just over 700,000. Today, Houston just passed 1 million and Dallas is around 930,000 while Atlanta has 1.7 million.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:03 PM

442 posts, read 827,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
From my visit to Atlanta, it seems like the entire scene of the city revolves around the African American hip hop culture. I would say that they are the black capital of America.
You are full sh*t and anybody who knows about music can see that. Get out of this thread.

Last edited by sk8t; 10-19-2010 at 12:17 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 12:23 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Maybe it had to do with the overall trend of black people in general moving back down South overall, and Atlanta being the most well known city in the South? You seriously think it was some huge consipracy from BET? LMFAO at the crap people come up with...Since they're based in DC, you'd think they'd be telling everyone that the DC area was the promised land. Blacks have been moving back down south long before BET started. Try again. It's not like blacks haven't been moving to Houston and Dallas at the same time.

I guess someone's bitter that Stop Six isn't the place to be.

You aren’t no better with your conspiracies regarding "New World Order".

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 10-19-2010 at 12:31 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 12:30 PM

49 posts, read 105,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuk1219 View Post
After reading the 'Cities with richest African American history and culture", I've been thinking what is the real capital of black america? I heard Atlanta, GA was. But I'm not sure. What are your opinions on which city should be the Capital of Black America?
Well from a historical perspective New Orleans should be. The oldest black neighborhood in the country is in New Orleans called Treme. In terms of African influences on culture New Orleans wins there too due to the fact that we in New Orleans were under a French and Spanish style of slavery. Therefore we had the largest amount of free blacks in the United States during slavery time of any city including northern cities. Therefore we never lost alot of the African influences and you can here it today in the Mardi Gras indian music and second line music. You can see it in the way that we have funerals. I think Atlanta is the capital of sadity Blacks. The thing that makes New Orleans the capital of Black America is the fact that all Black American music can trace its roots to New Orleans. New Orleans is truly a city that is African influenced in nature and is a city that is rooted in rituals brought over from Africa. You cannot say that about any major city in the United States. Plus we have the largest Black event in the States here called Essence Fest. Check the videos below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOlcTeO3uwM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qBO0w5bVyc

Old 10-19-2010, 12:39 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I'm not denying that. But if you ask me there is too much of yang and not enough yin ya dig? On the other black thread, Chicago was mentioned several times and I chuckle a little. There are some success stories of Blacks that made it in Chicago, hell the city was founded( or first settled) by a Haitian. But when you break it down economically, Chicago is more of a white city. To start off, the city has been under Daley Jr. hands for 21 years. The main hip/trendy areas are Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Near Northside, and Wicker Park/Bucktown. Wicker Park/ Bucktown is the most diverse, but still less than 10% Black. University of Chicago( Harvard of the Midwest) isn 65% White with a noticeable Asian minority. What's so ironic about that is the neighborhood its in is 37% Black and its located on the southside very close to the ghetto.
Atlanta and DC have Morehouse, Spellman, and Howard, all are the top tier HBCUs. I give them that, but are these cities truly the Black capitals as they're portrayed? Are the trendy/yuppie neighborhoods majority or even significally Black? What about blue ribbon schools? I'm skeptical calling Atlanta and DC Black capitals. Again the poverty rates( 32% and 24% perspectively) are highest among black people in both of these cities. And not to mention the high violent crime rates.
As you know Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the U.S.Largely due to the number of blacks,Blacks in Atlanta live EVERYWHERE.Its highly integrated.There are no Polish,Irish,or Italian neighborhoods.If anything its all about the classes.

As far as universities go.Atlanta has the largest number of HBCU's than any city in America.You also failed to mention Clark Atlanta University and the International Theological Seminary.

And even in "mainstream" schools like Georgia State University,Ga Tech,Emory and S.C.A.D. just to name a few,blacks are still better than average.

Atlanta has the largest concentration of Black millionaires in the country.It has the highest number of African immigrants than any other city in the U.S.Recently,Senegal moved its consulate from NYC to Atlanta.

There are several neighborhoods like the Westend,Colier Heights:Collier Heights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia,The Cascades,Peyton Forest,East Lake,Edgewood,Auburn Ave etc, that are majority or large numbers of A.A.

Also the educational attainment for blacks is the highest among major cities (except maybe D.C.) 21%
Chicago its 15%,NYC 16%,(2000 census)

Cultural and historical Atlanta has as strong a case than most cities.Its also been consistently a good place for black.

The crime rates are not that different now a days.We are not talking major differences.Atlanta is no more dangerous than Chicago or Philly.Its all relative

Old 10-19-2010, 12:41 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No sir. Not even close. Since 1990, the growth of the black population of Atlanta far out paces Houston and Dallas and it isn't really close. In 1990, I believe Atlanta had just under 1 million blacks while Houston and Dallas had just over 700,000. Today, Houston just passed 1 million and Dallas is around 930,000 while Atlanta has 1.7 million.
I am aware its not close now. There is a huge gap between them.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten_Moon View Post
I chose DC because it's close to Prince George's Country. I'm from Houston and we have a large black and African (Nigerian) population. There's a lot of affluent black neighborhoods in Houston and Dallas. But I actually want out. I really don't like Atlanta.

I'm a young black college student and I was considering relocating to Philly from Houston, good idea?
86781D7D-6AC5-FBE3-FB91-C823D93DC41D
LOL.So you choose to leave Houston for Philly but you dislike Atlanta?I love Philly but a lot of people do not want to live there.Philly and Houston are WAY different.If its urbanity,culture,diversity and accessibility you want the Philly hands down overall.But if you want a more vibrant,newer ,less expensive place than stay where you at.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Media said because there was enough reason than most places to suggest it.Particularly from MLK JR,The A.U.C., Maynard Jackson,Andrew Young.Blacks have been moving to Atlanta dating back to the mid 70's at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City