Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I'm sure that is your preference. I went to school in the south and spent another 4 years down there after school. I couldn't wait to get back to the city. The real city. It's just too slow for me. Everything is just so laid back. It doesn't fit my personality. But to each his own. My wife and I both went down south for school and black people from up north are just so different than southern black people. The debates between the northern black people and the southern black people were epic. People in the south can be very sensitive. It's just their culture.
Thats ok MD, everyone has their preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 01:15 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I dont believe MARTA is useless at all. The difference between how MARTA and Metro came about is where their funding came from, DC's transit system has had more support from the region than MARTA has had with Georgia. Georgians outside of Metro Atlanta hate everything about Atlanta, MARTA was privately funded by tax payers in the Atlanta region. Its an impressive system considering where the money came from. Of course Metro is a way of life in DC, 40% of Washingtonians rely on transit for their day but you have to give Atlanta time to mature into the type of city you expect it to be. DC didnt become what it is overnight, and your post towards Atlanta is the exact same demeanor Phillians and Bostonians have of DC. Compared to them DC isnt dense or urban enough, to spread out, and backwater. My argument is give DC its time and it will get there, just as you should give Atlanta its time to get there.

Atlanta's black entertainment however does dwarf that of DC. From the music, films, fashion, shopping, culinary, and arts it has more glamorous options for blacks. DC is not bad but its no Atlanta just as you mentioned earlier that DC is better than Atlanta for black professions even though Atlanta is not bad either.
How Metro and Marta came about or are funded has nothing to do with their current usefulness. Marta won't be at Metro's current build probably ever so that ship has sailed. Heavy Rail just isn't getting built anymore because of the prices. The major cities with massive heavy rail systems in the U.S. are basically it forever.

Well, your kind of comparing Apples and Oranges by trying to use an example of Philly, Boston, and D.C. in relation to anything in Atlanta. Atlanta doesn't even have the bones to be like a NE city. The city is basically comprised of single family homes. It couldn't be in the same ball park as a NE city in 100 years. Developers would have to blow up the entire city and start from scratch. They would have to clear entire neighborhoods of single family homes. D.C. is going to equal Philadelphia density in 5-10 years. Atlanta will never come close to 10,000-11,000 people per square mile in our lifetime. This is apples and oranges. Sunbelt cities are not built to ever be like NE cities. It is what it is.

What is a black fashion or a black restaurant scene? Highend shopping is for everyone. D.C. trumps Atlanta in high end shopping and fine dining so I don't know what you mean. Atlanta isn't on D.C.'s level when it comes to shopping or dining.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
How Metro and Marta came about or are funded has nothing to do with their current usefulness. Marta won't be at Metro's current build probably ever so that ship has sailed. Heavy Rail just isn't getting built anymore because of the prices. The major cities with massive heavy rail systems in the U.S. are basically it forever.

Well, your kind of comparing Apples and Oranges by trying to use an example of Philly, Boston, and D.C. in relation to anything in Atlanta. Atlanta doesn't even have the bones to be like a NE city. The city is basically comprised of single family homes. It couldn't be in the same ball park as a NE city in 100 years. Developers would have to blow up the entire city and start from scratch. They would have to clear entire neighborhoods of single family homes. D.C. is going to equal Philadelphia density in 5-10 years. Atlanta will never come close to 10,000-11,000 people per square foot in our lifetime. This is apples and oranges. Sunbelt cities are not built to ever be like NE cities. It is what it is.

What is a black fashion or a black restaurant scene? Highend shopping is for everyone. D.C. trumps Atlanta in high end restaurants and shopping so I don't know what you mean.
Shopping is the same in all large metropolises except NY and Miami where its noticeably more high end. The restaurants in DC and Atlanta are on par with one another, one of my complaints on DC is the culinary scene. For all the things DC has attracted in the last 15 years I am still left in envy of the culinary scene in NY, Chicago, LA, SF, New Orleans. Where Atlanta begins pulling away from DC is the fashion. Atlanta under many global firms ranks as a fashion spot and DC doesnt come close to ranking, please dont argue this because its futile to do so. Anyone into fashion and has been to both cities knows this and I most certainly do, its one of my 5 requirements from a city I would consider living in. It HAS to be a fashion spot. Please dont even bother with the glamor involved in each citys music industry or film industry thats Atlanta's turf and goes without saying. DC is a huge set for films but its got nothing to do with blacks and more to do with the government/agencies

Old 04-01-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:

BTW I am another that views PT for either the lower income or those dismayed by the hassles of car ownership. I wouldnt ever give up my S500 to ride side by side with anyone else on any train but that is just my preference IMO
You don't live downtown do you? Owning a car in urban environments is more trouble than it's worth. Are you from the south? I see MIA so I'm just asking.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Shopping is the same in all large metropolises except NY and Miami where its noticeably more high end. The restaurants in DC and Atlanta are on par with one another, one of my complaints on DC is the culinary scene. For all the things DC has attracted in the last 15 years I am still left in envy of the culinary scene in NY, Chicago, LA, SF, New Orleans. Where Atlanta begins pulling away from DC is the fashion. Atlanta under many global firms ranks as a fashion spot and DC doesnt come close to ranking, please dont argue this because its futile to do so. Anyone into fashion and has been to both cities knows this and I most certainly do, its one of my 5 requirements from a city I would consider living in. It HAS to be a fashion spot. Please dont even bother with the glamor involved in each citys music industry or film industry thats Atlanta's turf between these two places.
You seem to have a southern presence about you. Are you from the south?

Old 04-01-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
You seem to have a southern presence about you. Are you from the south?
Yes I am from Maryland. Born, raised, and still living in Maryland and spend winters in Miami

Old 04-01-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
You don't live downtown do you? Owning a car in urban environments is more trouble than it's worth. Are you from the south? I see MIA so I'm just asking.
No I dont live downtown, I live in Maryland. My car is worth $70K, there is no logical reason why I would ever pick a trashy subway seat over my heated leather/automatic bucket seat with LCD dashboard displays. Really I worked hard for my car and worked hard to be where I am at today just so I wont ever live that life crawling from one station to another. If spending hours in traffic and paying above $4 per gallon is what it takes then by all means I will do it in a heartbeat.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Yes I am from Maryland. Born, raised, and still living in Maryland and spend winters in Miami
So you aren't from the city? You don't live in the city now either? If those answers are no, then many of your responses make a lot of sense. Anybody who would consider living in the suburbs obviously can appreciate a quieter, slower, low density lifestyle. That explains your position on Atlanta. I love New York, I love D.C., etc. etc. I just can't do cities that look like the suburbs. But to each his own.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
No I dont live downtown, I live in Maryland. My car is worth $70K, there is no logical reason why I would ever pick a trashy subway seat over my heated leather/automatic bucket seat with LCD dashboard displays. Really I worked hard for my car and worked hard to be where I am at today just so I wont ever live that life crawling from one station to another
Take a cab or hire a car then. People do it in the city all the time. Or, buy a parking space. So many options that could save you from having to live in the suburbs. That is unless you like that sort of lifestyle.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
So you aren't from the city? You don't live in the city now either? If those answers are no, then many of your responses make a lot of sense. Anybody who would consider living in the suburbs obviously can appreciate a quieter, slower, low density lifestyle. That explains your position on Atlanta. I love New York, I love D.C., etc. etc. I just can't do cities that look like the suburbs. But to each his own.
Then we see eye to eye. I wouldnt mind living in DC proper but really for the amount it costs I would rather just live in Maryland or move to New York. DC is great BTW, I love the place and I grew up in the city in a pretty trashy area but I prefer quiet and harmony. I also adore my S500, I have 2 and my fiancee has 1. Never will buy another model of car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City