Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 12:52 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,393,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Houston is a buzz in Black America. Check the blogs, forums, and YouTube. Houston is popular and is desirable for blacks, given social media; it’s not according to me. On the other hand, blacks hate Atlanta. You can research that yourself.

Houston is steps above Chicago and Philly. The cities beat it in urbanity, however.
Imma have to disagree with you right here for this post lol . Houston definitely has a blacker feel than the rest of the cities in Texas, and it's in the top 5 like others said, but I can't consider any city in Texas as the most dominant in black culture in the U.S. As far as your blacks hate Atlanta comment, many people including blacks love and many people hate Atlanta just like other cities depending on their individual preferences. For nearly 2 million black people to live in the Atlanta metro area though I don't think you can just say something like "blacks hate Atlanta" I think because Atlanta is widely considered the black mecca and discussed so much in regards to black culture, it elicits strong opinions from both those that love and hate it. I'm pretty familiar with Chicago, I haven't been to Philly nearly as many times. I won't rank Houston above or below them but I say they are in the same tier and that Chicago's significance as a influential black population center is currently declining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 02:00 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Houston is a buzz in Black America. Check the blogs, forums, and YouTube. Houston is popular and is desirable for blacks, given social media; it’s not according to me. On the other hand, blacks hate Atlanta. You can research that yourself.

Houston is steps above Chicago and Philly. The cities beat it in urbanity, however.
Lololol...you know that YouTube videos and blogs doesn't constitute "research," right?

Old 03-13-2019, 05:57 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,792,548 times
I said what I said, and I stand by that. Continue debating about ATL, DC, and NYC.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:46 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,106,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I think it's pretty much implied that we are talking about entire metro areas and not only the individual cities. I could be wrong though but otherwise New York, Chicago, Philly, and Detroit are the top 4 in black population, and Houston is #5 as of the 2010 census. It's possible Houston has surpassed Detroit now with it's continuing decline in population. Atlanta wouldn't even in the top ten in black population due to it's much lower city population. I know this discussion is about "black capitals" and not necessarily black population, but you can't really discuss the black impact of Atlanta without discussing the entire metro area because the population of the suburbs is so much greater than the city there.
It's certainly is about cities. I said that Houston's Black community is largest in the South . We certainly can since the anchor of any metro is the reason for the attraction in economy, entertainment, etc. Also, ATL have recently gained an additional black population in it's metro. Like i said, it's in the spotlight in this timeframe and high quality promotions.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:46 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Lmao! Pretty fitting I must say.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:48 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,106,582 times
Quote:
I said what I said, and I stand by that. Continue debating about ATL, DC, and NYC.
I will have to exclude NYC ( no disrespect) and keep the debate southern.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:21 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,393,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
It's certainly is about cities. I said that Houston's Black community is largest in the South . We certainly can since the anchor of any metro is the reason for the attraction in economy, entertainment, etc. Also, ATL have recently gained an additional black population in it's metro. Like i said, it's in the spotlight in this timeframe and high quality promotions.
I don't think what you are saying is correct nor makes much sense. The city limit population relative to the metro area is a product of a number of factors including politics, annexation laws that may differ for particular regions. If the city population as the anchor was the true indication of a city's significance, Atlanta wouldn't even be a top 30 city but its one of the top cities for fortune 500 headquarters within the city limits. You have some cities like Miami and Atlanta that have a much smaller population within its city limits, others like Jacksonville that have a much larger city population than Atlanta or Miami. Does anyone on Earth think Jacksonville is a more significant city than Atlanta or Miami? It's disgenious to pretend like Houston's black influence is more significant than Atlanta just because there are more black people living in the defined city limits of Houston versus Atlanta, when the Atlanta metro region almost has twice the number of blacks that Houston does.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 03-13-2019 at 07:53 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What are you trying to imply?

Old 03-13-2019, 09:41 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,563,537 times
Quote:
What are you trying to imply?
Some people just talk ish to see if it will stick and is a slave to low level conjecture. Not my words but just check other blogs and stuff.

I know you weren't directing this at me but you know what you said was/is absurd. That's like saying Puerto Ricans hate Orlando or Portuguese hate Boston or Ethiopians hate DC. Gotta think ach.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Some people just talk ish to see if it will stick and is a slave to low level conjecture. Not my words but just check other blogs and stuff.

I know you weren't directing this at me but you know what you said was/is absurd. That's like saying Puerto Ricans hate Orlando or Portuguese hate Boston or Ethiopians hate DC. Gotta think ach.
Congrats, bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City