Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:26 PM

49 posts, read 105,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Hell No.. lil wayne might be from N.O. but does NOT embody N.O. culture. Hell, it's hard to even consider him a southern rapper... he's like the rapper from no where.
New Orleans culture or any black culture does not began at Rap music....Learn history. I hate the term putting a city on the map. Actually New Orleans has been on the map since 1700s as renowned city of black culture. When it was part of France many blacks studied in France music. New Orleans had several black owned theaters and Opera Houses during slavery time. If all you know is the last 30-40 years of history, that is pretty sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 01:30 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanstopics View Post
New Orleans hands down....Has any of these cities listed maintained the music from Africa like New Orleans? Don't forget New Orleans has the oldest Black neighborhood in the United States and Oldest Black Operating church in America too....These videos below are proven proof why New Orleans is the real Black capital of the United States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qBO0w5bVyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qBO0w5bVyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krJW2...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Nwv...x=0&playnext=1

Let me say this first:I love New Orleans.I have much respect.appreciation and hope for no other place outside of my city of Atlanta.It represents a beautiful cultural and historical presence that the world can see as a true gem for America.I can honestly say without it,the U.S. would have a huge whole in its soul.
But its not just the black aspect of it.Its how all the cultures have melted together to become something nowhere else in North America can claim.It is really the "melting pot" of what America has claimed it has always been.

But there are more things that make a "capital" more than those things.Those mentioned are the roots.However like a tree its has to grow and show more of its branches.New Orleans stop doing that a long time ago.Where is the black achievement?The quality of life for blacks?The infrastructure that demands and produces more than just mediocrity?

Im sorry but until this happens.New Orleans cannot be called a capital in this regard(my opinion)

Old 10-19-2010, 01:37 PM

442 posts, read 827,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL!!! Are you for real with this mess?

Either you have never been to Atlanta, or you are simply manufacturing things to make some sort of bizarro point here.
Yeah, seriously. I don't even care too much about hip hop and think Atlanta's local music scene is very diverse and gets lots of touring acts of all genres everyday. If Atlanta is not enough for things like Indie music then Athens which is up the road ( about an hour or less) should quench your thirst. A lot of the blacks here like way more then hip hop also.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Let me say this first:I love New Orleans.I have much respect.appreciation and hope for no other place outside of my city of Atlanta.It represents a beautiful cultural and historical presence that the world can see as a true gem for America.I can honestly say without it,the U.S. would have a huge whole in its soul.
But its not just the black aspect of it.Its how all the cultures have melted together to become something nowhere else in North America can claim.It is really the "melting pot" of what America has claimed it has always been.

But there are more things that make a "capital" more than those things.Those mentioned are the roots.However like a tree its has to grow and show more of its branches.New Orleans stop doing that a long time ago.Where is the black achievement?The quality of life for blacks?The infrastructure that demands and produces more than just mediocrity?

Im sorry but until this happens.New Orleans cannot be called a capital in this regard(my opinion)
Well like there is many aspects that makes a city "A black capital in your words", these other cities listed lack a main aspect that New Orleans has which is culture. What I mean by that is these cities do not have their own identity culturally. These other cities tried to forget their roots Here in New Orleans you live in the midst of the beginning of Black existence in the New World daily. I can walk down the street daily and see multiple things built by the hands of the slave. I can go out on any given sunday and walk out of church into a Second Line which roots are traced back to Africa. I can go to church then to a Vodou temple or JuJu lady and it want be imported Juju or Vodou. And these cultures from the roots have evolved into modern times too. Black achievement among blacks from New Orleans is high too. I can name many famous names in recent black history from here. Marc Morial (head of urban league), Dona Brazile, Suzanne Malveaux (cnn reporter), and Desiree Rodgers former White House Social Secretary for Obama. Remember even though New Orleans public school system is one of the worst, It has the top Black Catholic schools in the country with hundreds of years of success. Therefore there are many prominent educated blacks from here. While Atlanta and those other cities might have a better infrastructure, we have history, cuture, and prominent names from here. When it comes to qaulity of life happiness is a big part of that. People in New Orleans are very happy to live in New Orleans. Most people here living in poverty would rather live in New Orleans poor then comfortable in Atlanta. You just can't get the culture and the soul that is in New Orleans in these other cities.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:16 PM

442 posts, read 827,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanstopics View Post
Most people here living in poverty would rather live in New Orleans poor then comfortable in Atlanta.
whoa gotta stop you there.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:20 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
STOP!!LOL!!!But I do understand what he is saying.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:25 PM

320 posts, read 717,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
For the black community they most certainly DO.Look at the Black Alumni of each.
Morehouse:
List of Morehouse College alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Georgia Institute of Technology(GA Tech)graduates more black engineers than any other school in America

I'm definitely not underestimating the number of Blacks undergraduates and Graduates in ATL. The ATL is more of a "College Town" then Chicago. Although, Chicago is become more of a college town by the day. Do you even realize how many colleges and universities are in the Chicago Area? Downtown Chicago alone probably has more colleges and universities than the entire city of Atlanta. I'm not even including the number of universities outside of the city limits. Many of Chicago's largest universities have a pretty sizable black student student body (1000+). The largest are Chicago State (7,000+), Depaul (2000+), UIC (2000+), Northeastern IL, Rooosevelt, Columbia College, Loyola, Northwestern and Governors State. But there are many more throughout the metro area.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:30 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Atlanta was the chosen city of black media. Just look at the census data back in 1990 and you will see Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston black population where very similar in raw numbers. Atlanta gained a significant edge on those cities due enlarge part to black media. Negroes moved to ATL because BET said it was the promise land and you know it is some truth that O_O.
This is nonsense and I have facts to prove it. The following chart comes directly from the Brookings Institute study "The New Great Migration: Black Americans' Return to the South, 1965-2000":

As you can see, from 1965-1970, Houston and Dallas were in the top 10 cities for Black net migration but Atlanta wasn't. But from 1975-1980, Atlanta had zoomed past both Houston and Dallas without the aid of BET, which didn't become its own 24-hour channel until 1983. From 1985 on, it wasn't even a contest as Atlanta was significantly outpacing every other city in terms of Black net migration.

The only sort of Black media that can be said to have promoted Atlanta was Ebony magazine in its "Top Ten Cities for Blacks" lists, but it also promoted other cities like its hometown of Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Denver, Detroit, Cleveland, Memphis, and Minneapolis. Here is the magazine's 1973 list and here's the 1978 list. Note that Atlanta is only named first both times because the cities are listed alphabetically.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:01 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL!!! Are you for real with this mess?

Either you have never been to Atlanta, or you are simply manufacturing things to make some sort of bizarro point here.
Why do you have a problem with black culture?

Old 10-19-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
I'm serious. Do you think 80 percent of the population of New Orleans would have returned back as adverse as the conditions were and still are after Katrina if these other cities had what New Orleans has culturally? Nope! Remember that most people from New Orleans ended up in Houston, Atlanta, and Memphis after the storm. The reality is most who have returned back to New Orleans. The majority that I know that can't return back yet want to return back to New Orleans. The majority of the people that I am talking about lived in poverty in New Orleans. Quality in life deals with your personal happiness not how much money you have. I know many rich people who feel their life is is a living hell and many poor people who love their life. Because of our traditions here, the poor finds happiness in the dismay of poverty unlike in most American cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City