Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 02:46 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The most basic definition of a "mecca" is "a place regarded as a center for a specified group, activity, or interest" (Mirriam-Webster) or "a place that attracts people of a particular group or with a particular interest" (Oxford). Since we're talking about Black America as a whole here and not just the richest, most educated, most influential Blacks (and it should be recognized that DC has plenty of "ordinary" Blacks too), it can legitimately be argued that the city that more resembles a cross-section of Black America is more of a mecca in the strictest sense. And when you consider the second definition in particular, no other city has been as successful at actually attracting Blacks (for relocation purposes) in the past four decades or so as Atlanta so it does excel on that point.
But then I'm forced to think about how much of that would be true if Atlanta hadn't had such a low cost of living which has always made it an easier choice for most of the Black population which have very modest incomes. Couldn't it be argued that affordability is the primary factor contributing to ATL being our mecca?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 02:50 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i feel like the last few pages of arguments can be boiled down to: atlanta is the prom queen and washington, d.c. would be the valedictorian ?
*Plot twist*

DC's parents were both teachers at the school, and DC was in both of their classes.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:21 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,754,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Houston would be the Third Honor.
No. Somewhere between the top 5 - top 10

I would put Detroit, Philly, Memphis, Charlotte, The Triangle over Houston in that area if you look at these area from the 60s up until now

Old 01-17-2018, 03:23 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,754,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC1 View Post
Stop, the DC area is still very much chocolate and go-go is alive and well. In Maryland, the black percentage is over 30%, those are deep south numbers. Black DC, just like Atlanta has moved to the burbs... PG is chocolate county, for now.
I didn't say the DC area I said DC but as far as the DMV yes you are correct.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:25 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
But then I'm forced to think about how much of that would be true if Atlanta hadn't had such a low cost of living which has always made it an easier choice for most of the Black population which have very modest incomes. Couldn't it be argued that affordability is the primary factor contributing to ATL being our mecca?
Certainly that plays a significant role and that can't be denied. But then you have to ask why Atlanta attracted so many more Black migrants over the years compared to other sizable Southern cities which are also affordable and the significance of other factors working in Atlanta's favor (e.g., progressive Black political leadership, a strong and rapidly growing economy, an extensive Black cultural infrastructure, etc) become clear.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Certainly that plays a significant role and that can't be denied. But then you have to ask why Atlanta attracted so many more Black migrants over the years compared to other sizable Southern cities which are also affordable and the significance of other factors working in Atlanta's favor (e.g., progressive Black political leadership, a strong and rapidly growing economy, an extensive Black cultural infrastructure, etc) become clear.
There's no doubt that Atlanta has always led the South in this regard. It would seem that the city proper's small geographic size has secured the Black population as a majority in the past. This has resulted in long standing political clout that sets the groundwork for progress in our community. Meanwhile, in larger cities like Houston, Blacks have always been a minority group with less power in the city, despite being large in number and having a rate of wealth and educational attainment that's comparable to Atlanta.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:33 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
There's no doubt that Atlanta has always led the South in this regard. My theory is that the city proper's small geographic size has secured the Black population as a majority in the past. This has resulted in long standing political clout that sets the groundwork for progress in our community. Meanwhile, in larger cities like Houston, Blacks have always been a minority group with less power in the city, despite being large in number and having a rate of wealth and educational attainment that's comparable to Atlanta.
I pretty much agree with that, and the same is true of DC with its fixed political boundaries.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I pretty much agree with that, and the same is true of DC with its fixed political boundaries.
Yeah it really seems that a Black majority + Black educational institutions are the two things necessary to be an ultimate mecca.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:58 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,013,511 times
La.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:04 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
No. Somewhere between the top 5 - top 10

I would put Detroit, Philly, Memphis, Charlotte, The Triangle over Houston in that area if you look at these area from the 60s up until now
You're full of it. Houston is Third Honor. I said what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City