Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 11:43 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,402,316 times

Advertisements

But also as far as owning a business I would love to own a business in NYC or DC since I know I will have a wide range of clientele. I know I’d see the maximum profit/network of my business in these two places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 02:51 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Atlanta is the black capitol but also very overrated. If you want to be a successful black man in a community type setting then Atlanta is cool but if you are an individual trying to be successful on your own, then cities like DC, NYC, LA and SF will blow ATL out of the water.

Kode keeps mentioning businesses in ATL while disqaulifying black people who make insane salaries in northern cities but in reality most black people in Atlanta are not business owners and many of them work in basic jobs.

Owning a business isn’t for everyone so a black man who wants to max out his financial career would have more opportunity doing it in NYC/Chicago
Black people make insane salaries everywhere, even here in Baltimore. Atlanta is the best city for blacks in a multitude of endeavors: Entrepreneurship, entertainment, business. Atlanta is a one stop shop, hence why it's considered the Mecca for black people.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:45 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,913,242 times
Growing up as a kid in Augusta, I was always told that it you wanted to make it big in life as a black man, you move to Atlanta. I've seen so many friends and family move there and find success and a steady paying job in industries that they themselves were not even qualified for on paper. Atlanta also has a coolness factor to it that makes it a popular destination for blacks.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:06 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Black people make insane salaries everywhere, even here in Baltimore. Atlanta is the best city for blacks in a multitude of endeavors: Entrepreneurship, entertainment, business. Atlanta is a one stop shop, hence why it's considered the Mecca for black people.
It's definitely not a black mecca for me. I'm very well in my black mecca of Houston.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:42 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
That percentage has been shrinking. Blacks in DC we're once the overwhelming majority, now it's the plurality; pretty soon DC is gonna look like Boston, and the suburbs are gonna looks like South Carolina.
DC proper added 14,000 new net black people from 2010-2016. The black population has been rising, not shrinking. It’s the percentage that has gone down and that’s because DC proper is absolutely booming adding 100,000 people in the last 7 years. The percentage of black people is dropping because the city is adding other races at a higher rate. DC proper is headed for a population of 1 million people in the next two decades with a density approaching 17,000 people per square mile. There is room for all races and black people that want a dense, urban, walkable lifestyle will still choose to live in cities like DC and NYC.

Most black people are moving to metro areas to live in the suburbs. Those black people that still prefer an urban dense neighborhood are still moving to DC and NYC which is why our black population is still rising, but most black people prefer suburban living now. There has been a migration to less dense suburban cities in the south where the cost of living is cheaper and the pace of life is slower. That is the lifestyle most black families historically came from for hundreds of years and many are returning to that life in the south.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:15 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
D.C. has added 14,811 black alone residents since 2010.

2010 Black Alone Residents

-310,379 black residents

2016 Black Alone Residents

-325,190 black residents

Net Gain = 14,811 black residents

Old 01-29-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Atlanta is for blacks who want to succeed in those things in a black community atmosphere. Doesn’t mean they’ll max out and be the most successful that they can be since their only doing it for the black community. Everything you mentioned has sectors in larger cities where a black person as an individual who only wants to grow to his full potential would most likely move to.

One of the DOT deputies here in Brooklyn, NY is actually born and raised in ATL. I know him and he told me he moved to NYC because NYC has the largest and well recognized transportation system. Since ATL is sprawled and needs more transportation, he could of at least stayed there since black folks are lacking in the city planning sector.

Bold black people who want to be actors or get into entertainment still go to LA/NYC. Entrepreneurship doesn’t have a location but I’m sure a black entrepreneur in Silicone Valley has a wider network than those in ATL.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Growing up as a kid in Augusta, I was always told that it you wanted to make it big in life as a black man, you move to Atlanta. I've seen so many friends and family move there and find success and a steady paying job in industries that they themselves were not even qualified for on paper. Atlanta also has a coolness factor to it that makes it a popular destination for blacks.
Atlanta doesn’t even offer the highest paying money for a salary, and neither is it a global city. Realistically the only thing ATL offers for a black man is less racism in the work force and a sense of positive community.

And this is why I’ll give ATL the Mecca title because blakck folks tend to be on the same page. But as far as money, blacks can make much more of that elsewhere.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC proper added 14,000 new net black people from 2010-2016. The black population has been rising, not shrinking. It’s the percentage that has gone down and that’s because DC proper is absolutely booming adding 100,000 people in the last 7 years. The percentage of black people is dropping because the city is adding other races at a higher rate. DC proper is headed for a population of 1 million people in the next two decades with a density approaching 17,000 people per square mile. There is room for all races and black people that want a dense, urban, walkable lifestyle will still choose to live in cities like DC and NYC.

Most black people are moving to metro areas to live in the suburbs. Those black people that still prefer an urban dense neighborhood are still moving to DC and NYC which is why our black population is still rising, but most black people prefer suburban living now. There has been a migration to less dense suburban cities in the south where the cost of living is cheaper and the pace of life is slower. That is the lifestyle most black families historically came from for hundreds of years and many are returning to that life in the south.
This is a very good point because I’ve met lots of African Americans in Harlem and Brooklyn who aren’t from NYC. One of my good friends who lives in Harlem now left Charleston, SC to move to DC and then moved to NYC.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:30 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,478,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Atlanta doesn’t even offer the highest paying money for a salary, and neither is it a global city. Realistically the only thing ATL offers for a black man is less racism in the work force and a sense of positive community.

And this is why I’ll give ATL the Mecca title because blakck folks tend to be on the same page. But as far as money, blacks can make much more of that elsewhere.
To be honest, I don't think less racism is offered to a black man In the work place being here in Georgia, I see it every day working here and being black. That is so not true.. White's still own most and run Georgia...This is Dixie buddy. Blacks may own some business and have some government positions, very few though but that only certain districts, out side of that,,, hummm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City