Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 07:47 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The cost of living offsets the salaries, so in the end, it evens itself out. Atlanta is most certainly a global city, a matter which shouldn't have to be debated. The racism is the same any and everywhere you go, nobody is the clear cut winner on that front.
Atlanta is a global city compared to who? NYC? Chicago, LA? San Fran? London? Toronto?

Let’s be real here, outside of the black race Atlanta is an ignored city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 07:49 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Man I wish I had the time to unpack all this. Geesh...
Unpack what? Atlanta is not where a black man can achieve the most from a personal stand point.

Here’s a quick scenario.

If two black people with finance degrees decide to look for work, one black person might try to go large and get a position in Wall Street, while another might go to Atlanta simply because of the positive black atmosphere and success.

Black people in Atlanta aren’t going to change the dominant sectors in other cities.

Some of you people act like Black folks don’t leave Atlanta to go seek opportunity elsewhere.

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 01-31-2018 at 07:59 AM..

Old 01-31-2018, 07:51 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
OK Paris Dennard.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:58 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Bitter? No you’re just talking nonsense. Like I said previously Atlanta does not have many sectors. A black man will still make the most money in tech in Silicone Valley and will still make the most money in finance in NYC/Chicago and the same goes for Federal Government jobs and DC.

You fail to realize many blacks from the south move up to these cities just to max out their success.
So true and Agreed!!! I think many don't get or understand that. You may make decent money for your type of job but you are still honestly going to make those Georgia wages. As a black man, I just feel you get more respect in other areas of the country NE, Midwest, West in your high paying positions.. Just my opinion. If you have your own business in the black community then that's yours and a different story, maybe

Old 01-31-2018, 08:09 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Atlanta is a global city compared to who? NYC? Chicago, LA? San Fran? London? Toronto?

Let’s be real here, outside of the black race Atlanta is an ignored city.

This is so True... I have even heard those who have said, even some businesses, events that don't come to Atlanta, due to its not their market or type of city. They will go to Dallas, Las Vegas or Nashville before coming to Atlanta because those cities are more mainstream so to speak. Some could be true vice versa as well. It just all depends on who or what market it is. Things have changed a lot for Atlanta and it has become more know Internationally, mainly due to its Airport status but to be honest it is mainly popular more as a Hyped up city for Blacks than more main stream it seems. Tax breaks and the movie industry is changing things a bit for Atlanta but the fact a lot of it is on Black hype and stereo types, it kinda pushes it right back to the shadows..

Old 01-31-2018, 08:52 AM

198 posts, read 148,820 times
Quote:
Unpack what? Atlanta is not where a black man can achieve the most from a personal stand point.

Here’s a quick scenario.

If two black people with finance degrees decide to look for work, one black person might try to go large and get a position in Wall Street, while another might go to Atlanta simply because of the positive black atmosphere and success.

Black people in Atlanta aren’t going to change the dominant sectors in other cities.

Some of you people act like Black folks don’t leave Atlanta to go seek opportunity elsewhere.

How dare someone in NYC bash the black culture in other cities when in NYC blacks are leaving NYC in record numbers. Nightlife, col, etc for blacks is horrible in NYC. Grown people over 30 still mostly living with a roommate or broke as hell with y'all high rent yet you are talking down on other cities...foh

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/06/2...ww.google.com/

The average black person in NYC has a roommate, works several jobs to try to make ends meet, high taxes, high col, few black owned nightclub venues compared to DC or ATL, etc. Foh

Old 01-31-2018, 09:41 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
So true and Agreed!!! I think many don't get or understand that. You may make decent money for your type of job but you are still honestly going to make those Georgia wages. As a black man, I just feel you get more respect in other areas of the country NE, Midwest, West in your high paying positions.. Just my opinion. If you have your own business in the black community then that's yours and a different story, maybe
You do know that on average, wages are higher in metro Atlanta than metro Nashville right?

Old 01-31-2018, 10:32 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You do know that on average, wages are higher in metro Atlanta than metro Nashville right?
There is no state income tax in Tennessee. Nashville has a lower cost of living, lower property taxes, lower unemployment rate, and overall lower crime as well.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:01 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
I'm waiting for the other posters to get roasted because they went in on Atlanta.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:03 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I've heard many people from Atlanta who recently moved to Houston say this. I've heard "there is no money in Atlanta." Honestly, I don't believe that; I know the wages in Houston and Texas are higher than Atlanta's while having the same cost of living and no state income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City