Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 11:07 PM

700 posts, read 422,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DC proper black population is higher now in 2020 than it was in 2010. DC by MSA has increased in total Black population even more so. In fact the metro area just surpassed Chicago in total Black population making it 3rd behind NY, ATL, still qualifying it for being a Mecca. It’s just the share of Blacks by percentage vs the rest of the population has balanced out a lot more, and the area is rapidly diversifying.
Yea but it doesn’t change the fact that DC is expensive and like most urban center gentrification it’s displacing a lot of its native black population.

Actual DC natives aren’t usually pleased with the current status of their city from what it was years back as far as chocolate city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
DC is also surrounded by PG County/Montgomery County/ NOVA that have more affordable areas in comparison to NYC. Not to mention a lot of Black ppl that migrate to the METRO area have government jobs. Government jobs tend to pay more so they can afford to live there. PG county for instance has some of the richest black communities in the nation. All D.C. suburbs. People can afford to live in the suburbs and work in D.C. The D.C area is attracting more Black Americans. Numbers don’t lie. NYC is not doing that. I mean Black New Yorkers have been moving to cities like Atlanta,D.C.,Charlotte in droves since the 90s. It’s a reason why.
I’m talking about Washington DC. Not the suburbs. As far as DC goes it’s a fact that it’s very expensive and has also displaced a lot of its black population.

This is indeed a fact!

When I travel to DC I’m not interested in PG or Montgomery County.

And wrong again New Yorkers have not been moving to DC in droves lmao. Atlanta and NC yes but DC no. The average New Yorker leaving NYC could not afford to live in DC.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:33 PM

I also want to point out that people focus a little bit too much on numbers. Just because certain cities have a population decrease does not change the fact that a city can attract black folks.

Cities like LA, NYC and Chicago are mainly losing their native black population which has absolutely nothing do with “drawing blacks”.

Like I said earlier I usually bump into black people from all over America in NYC. You will not see that in places like Baltimore, Detroit, Memphis or Birmingham which despite having high populations of black folks are not seen as attractive places for blacks from other cities to move to.

Stop focusing on numbers for a little bit and actually take the time so socialize and observe your surroundings in your city. Numbers never tell a complete story!

Old 02-27-2020, 05:48 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
I’m talking about Washington DC. Not the suburbs. As far as DC goes it’s a fact that it’s very expensive and has also displaced a lot of its black population.

This is indeed a fact!

When I travel to DC I’m not interested in PG or Montgomery County.

And wrong again New Yorkers have not been moving to DC in droves lmao. Atlanta and NC yes but DC no. The average New Yorker leaving NYC could not afford to live in DC.
The most domestic migrants into metropolitan Washington come from the NYC metro, but that is across all races and socioeconomic backgrounds. New Yorkers have been moving to DC along with Atlanta, Charlotte, and other places further South for 30 plus years.

Last edited by the resident09; 02-27-2020 at 06:00 AM..

Old 02-27-2020, 08:59 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
State capital of Black america music
Mississippi.
I think TN could have a good claim to that . Even GA maybe

Old 02-27-2020, 09:01 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I forgot to mention that Miss USA 2019 is from Charlotte and she is a local attorney here.

Charlotte attorney, Cheslie Kryst, crowned Miss USA
You are kidding right?
What makes this list any different than what could be found in NYC or ATL or DC?

Old 02-27-2020, 09:03 AM

2,657 posts, read 2,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
I also want to point out that people focus a little bit too much on numbers. Just because certain cities have a population decrease does not change the fact that a city can attract black folks.

Cities like LA, NYC and Chicago are mainly losing their native black population which has absolutely nothing do with “drawing blacks”.

Like I said earlier I usually bump into black people from all over America in NYC. You will not see that in places like Baltimore, Detroit, Memphis or Birmingham which despite having high populations of black folks are not seen as attractive places for blacks from other cities to move to.

Stop focusing on numbers for a little bit and actually take the time so socialize and observe your surroundings in your city. Numbers never tell a complete story!
I'll disagree with that due to universities/colleges, festivals, business seminars, and/or entrupenears. You can meet Black people from different regions in those cities as well.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:11 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
You are kidding right?
What makes this list any different than what could be found in NYC or ATL or DC?
Good Lord afonega1, at least go back and see what his actual claim was when he first mentioned Charlotte. Don't get this thread shut down too.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:21 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I'll disagree with that due to universities/colleges, festivals, business seminars, and/or entrupenears. You can meet Black people from different regions in those cities as well.
In baltimore this is not the case m. The college students don’t stay and they don’t leave campus. At all really.

I have one friend from Boston who-like me moved to DC first and relocated here.

I drove Uber for a New Yorker visiting family, an NJ couple who moved here, a woman from Rhode Island, a businesswoman here for work form Atlanta and Morgan State student also from Boston.

In my 20 months here those are virtually the only balck people not from Maryland I’ve met I. baltimore. No hyperbole. Dry regionally limited, I feel like 90-95% of balck baltinoreans are from Maryland.

It doesn’t compare to NYC DC ATL LA at all because they’re not as economically vibrant or livable in general.

Hell even in Boston I met people from a grade student Houston, I had a coworker who moved form South Carolina when she was 5, my mon is from North Carolina, coworkers from Dayton, Detroit, and Miami...clas mates who moved there after graduation from New York City and Lawrenceville NJ, an actor from Atlanta, a community theater director from DC a neighbor from Richmond VA.

I’ve worked at a warehouse and now for the city and have yet to work with a black person not from Maryland. Doesn’t mean Baltinore is bad for black or not a tier 2 hub and above Boston for sure-just it’s not a major draw as a city-to black people from all over

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-27-2020 at 09:43 AM..

Old 02-27-2020, 09:42 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
In baltimore this is not the case m. The college students don’t stay and they don’t leave campus. At all really.

I have one friend from Boston who moved to DC first and relocated here. I drove Uber for a New Yorker visiting family, an NJ couple who moved here, a businesswoman here for work form Atlanta and Morgan State student also from Boston.

In my 20 months here those are virtually the only balck people not from Maryland I’ve met I. baltimore. No hyperbole.
I know a few Black professionals who live in the Baltimore area who aren't from Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City