Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 11:57 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
LOL
Trust me by chance,It was cheap and I was renting from a friend who lived in those projects a mile from the ferry. Apparently its where Wu Tang grew up.
I was a suburban black kid from an upper middle class family and I didnt even know it was a project .It didnt seem so bad but after 6 months I had enough of NYC and high tailed it back down South.

Love NYC to this day but have absolutely no desire to EVER live there again
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
I’m assuming you lived in Park Hill? Was there a Home Depot that was walking distance? Either Park Hill or Stapleton (an actual housing project)
not sure what you mean by projects but affordable publicly subsidized housing defined by hud is managed by a municipality or state. licenced social/case workers file applications with the municipality on ones behalf since several propertys have priority residency requirements like elderly, or dependants, or battered women, ... one doesnt just privately rent a unit from a friend ?

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 04-06-2020 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 01:20 PM

93,251 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
the Northern half of Staten Island isn't guido and resembles the rest of New York
Yup, basically the area of the island north of I-278 is actually about 20-40% black, depending on the zip code in that area, with some lower level areas having even higher percentages.

For instance, this area is in a census tract that was 51% black and the black median household income was actually over the metro figure as of 2014: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6382...1b1!2i37?hl=en

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-06-2020 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-06-2020, 03:13 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yup, basically the area of the island north of I-278 is actually about 20-40% black, depending on the zip code in that area, with some lower level areas having even higher percentages.

For instance, this area is in a census tract that was 51% black and the black median household income was actually over the metro figure as of 2014: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6382...1b1!2i37?hl=en
Yup. I'm familiar with that area as I have a lot of family there. Park Hill, Stapleton, West New Brighton, New Brigton, Port Richmond, St. George, etc. all have high black (including African populations) and Latino populations (particularly Mexican) .

Old 04-06-2020, 05:29 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
not sure what you mean by projects but affordable publicly subsidized housing defined by hud is managed by a municipality or state. licenced social/case workers file applications with the municipality on ones behalf since several propertys have priority residency requirements like elderly, or dependants, or battered women, ... one doesnt just privately rent a unit from a friend ?
LOL
I was paying a friend who lived there to stay with him.It wasnt a formal agreement at all. I was 25 and needed something cheap while I decided if I wanted to stay.Its was maybe 4 months out of 6 I stayed with him

Old 04-06-2020, 10:03 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Boston is, like, the Black Shangri-La.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:13 AM

im so sick of hearing about Boston.Its great city and thats not whats so contentious.One hundred and one post of videos and articles from a poster is beyond ridiculous.Its nice to share your knowledge but there is something called overkill. Biased for sure but all this posturing if anything comes across as a desperate attempt to change peoples minds.
I dont think Boston is a bad city for blacks buts its no where near the best and compared to other major cities,I cant think of any other that might be below Boston.
It would be on the West Coast I think between San Francisco,Seattle ,Portland,and not on the coast maybe Milwaukee,Miami
Here is a thread
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...nti-black.html

Old 04-07-2020, 08:10 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
im so sick of hearing about Boston.Its great city and thats not whats so contentious.One hundred and one post of videos and articles from a poster is beyond ridiculous.Its nice to share your knowledge but there is something called overkill. Biased for sure but all this posturing if anything comes across as a desperate attempt to change peoples minds.
I dont think Boston is a bad city for blacks buts its no where near the best and compared to other major cities,I cant think of any other that might be below Boston.
It would be on the West Coast I think between San Francisco,Seattle ,Portland,and not on the coast maybe Milwaukee,Miami
Here is a thread
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...nti-black.html
Ehh.. you brought it up. I hear you, but you brought it up. We hadn’t talked about Boston in at least a month. I was talking about how Georgia wasn’t uniquely racist if you recall, then you brought up Boston and it’s reputation and all that. 80s kid and Redlion mentioned it and then I posted all my links.

Of course I’ll boost my city it’s a given. And no it’s not a black capital-never said it was that was actually 80skid. Obviously, it’s the capital of New England but here’s only ~1 million black people there. If you don’t wanna hear about Boston you can either glaze over the post or just don’t bring it up.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 04-07-2020 at 08:32 AM..

Old 04-07-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Ehh.. you brought it up. I hear you, but you brought it up. We hadn’t talked about Boston in at least a month. I was talking about how Georgia wasn’t uniquely racist if you recall, then you brought up Boston and it’s reputation and all that. 80s kid and Redlion mentioned it and then I posted all my links.

Of course I’ll boost my city it’s a given. And no it’s not a black capital-never said it was that was actually 80skid. Obviously, it’s the capital of New England but here’s only ~1 million black people there. If you don’t wanna hear about Boston you can either glaze over the post or just don’t bring it up.
Bringing up Boston as well as New York and other cities I mentioned.You didnt just bring up Boston,you wrote a dissertation .If you thought it was not a black capitol which is what the thread is about then why try so hard to paint it as if you should be considered?
My thread I created got shut down and dont . Somebody complained I guess.Why I dont know.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:59 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Redlion did it piqued his interest to visit so I provided him ample material. Because..why not? We’re all in quarantine with nothing but time.

Not for nothin but how much new information do you expect in a thread thats a decade old and was decided within the first 2/3 days as atlanta...on page 277 post 2770! lmao We’re just shooting the breeze. Are you expecting a new revelation? We might as well talk about whatever we want. You don’t wanna hear about Boston, that’s a you problem. Scroll on

If you feel you know all you care to about Boston that’s cool-I wasn’t talking to you in the first place. Everyone else posted about other stuff, you can too.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:44 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 7 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 977,160 times
Atlanta and second would be NYC.

Someone said Boston? Lol what? How 'bout, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City