Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 10:46 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Some of y'all are probably going to bust me for saying, but one of the current trends on YouTube is to post a video about "Don't Move to Atlanta."
Yeah, but how much of that is reality and how much of that is a targeting people who are likely to click on that video because it fits their narrative. I'm going with the latter.

On the other hand, there is a local joke of "Don't move to Atlanta, we're full." It pokes fun at the idea of people moving to Atlanta for greener pastures and they need to go home. Not because they can't do well here, but they are doing to well here and messing things up. Like, driving 20 miles hour on the highway. Who does that?

Seriously though, every city has videos or blogs like this where people say "Don't move there, it's no good for (insert group here)." The downside to the modern Internet is that every sour graper has a worldwide platform to whine and complain to their delight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 11:22 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, but how much of that is reality and how much of that is a targeting people who are likely to click on that video because it fits their narrative. I'm going with the latter.

On the other hand, there is a local joke of "Don't move to Atlanta, we're full." It pokes fun at the idea of people moving to Atlanta for greener pastures and they need to go home. Not because they can't do well here, but they are doing to well here and messing things up. Like, driving 20 miles hour on the highway. Who does that?

Seriously though, every city has videos or blogs like this where people say "Don't move there, it's no good for (insert group here)." The downside to the modern Internet is that every sour graper has a worldwide platform to whine and complain to their delight.
I get what you're saying, but there are numerous of videos on this with a lot of views and supporting commentary. Hey, everyone isn't unhappy there!

Old 01-10-2018, 12:05 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,754,495 times
Quote:
I get what you're saying, but there are numerous of videos on this with a lot of views and supporting commentary. Hey, everyone isn't unhappy there!
I can find people in any city that aren't happy. Post real stats other than a freaking YouTube video which is dumb.

Post about the colleges, history, black businesses, political history, nightlife, entertainment, etc. I can find plenty of Houston sucks or I hate TX YouTube videos. Smh at arguing over something because of YouTube videos....you can do better than that bro

Old 01-10-2018, 03:09 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
As I tell my employees "Don't be concerned when others try to downplay your achievements. When you're doing good, there is a target on your back."

Old 01-10-2018, 03:33 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Have you seen the videos and read the commentary?
I have seen a few and don't really agree with most of their complaints. My time in Atlanta was underwhelming but that had nothing to do with my personal successes and failures. If someone has their heart set on living there I wouldn't try to talk them out of it. It's a charming town.

With that said, anyone that thinks they need to move to a black culture mecca in order to be successful has got their thinking cap on backwards. Opportunity is everywhere nowadays.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:50 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I have seen a few and don't really agree with most of their complaints. My time in Atlanta was underwhelming but that had nothing to do with my personal successes and failures. If someone has their heart set on living there I wouldn't try to talk them out of it. It's a charming town.

With that said, anyone that thinks they need to move to a black culture mecca in order to be successful has got their thinking cap on backwards. Opportunity is everywhere nowadays.
I agree with this.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:02 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Atlanta seems more like a place for people who are entrepreneurial; DC seems like a place people go to when they want to get a job working for someone else.

Being a boss is far more powerful than being a worker.
So basically an entrepreneur in Atlanta that owns a taco stand is more powerful than a lobbyist in DC because he has his own business? Got it. He’s a boss. LOL. You should log off the internet. Like I previously mentioned. You can’t be the Mecca if there is a place that is more educated, more influential, more powerful, higher salaries, higher disposable income, etc......

Old 01-12-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
Yes I agree with this

Majority of them work in Government. All they brag about is there GS status who has the highest security clearance and how many degrees they have.
You forgot more money too.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Exactly, that doesn't really sound "powerful" at all. You go to Atlanta you see people with their own businesses, you see black Hollywood, you see people making something out of nothing and you see black wealth. Combine that with a much lower cost of living, and Atlanta runs away with this thread.
But Atlanta doesn’t have more wealth so your point is moot.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:09 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
So basically an entrepreneur in Atlanta that owns a taco stand is more powerful than a lobbyist in DC because he has his own business? Got it. He’s a boss. LOL. You should log off the internet. Like I previously mentioned. You can’t be the Mecca if there is a place that is more educated, more influential, more powerful, higher salaries, higher disposable income, etc......
There's no standard criteria for what a "capital" or "mecca" is in this case. If we're only or primarily talking about wealth or salaries or what have you, then the real capital of the U.S. is NYC or the Bay Area or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City